Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lutz

Sky Graphics in Different Ports :: New Sky GFX Request!

Once again, I am too lazy to do any real research, so here's a question for the forum gurus: What features related to sky graphic resolutions are supported by the various popular ports?

Specifically, if I were to create a 1024x200 sky (which I believe would be 360-degrees and tall enough to support look-up/look-down):
1) Which ports would display the sky properly?
2) Which ports (if any) would snip the sky to 256x128?
3) Which ports (if any) would refuse to display anything at all?

[UPDATE - HELP NEEDED!]
So I have tried and failed to make the sky I need. What I would like is a hellish 1024x[something] that tiles both horizontally and vertically. In my head I see some abstract swirling clouds (like you are at the center of a slowly-pivoting cyclone), but I'm game for for anything with lots of rich red.

Vanilla Doom can support 1024-wide skies, but they have to be broken up into 4 256-wide patches and assembled accordingly in the TEXTURE lump.

When it comes to 200-tall skies, I'm not sure - I believe ZDoom, Zandro, Odamex and Zdaemon all support this, but I'm not positive. I'm certain vanilla only supports 128-tall skies, though. It will cut the patch off at that height, even if the graphic is taller.

As far as ZDoom is concerned, everything is explained here.

No port should snip to 256 width. If any one does, it's a serious bug. Vanilla supports 1024-wide skies, it's even used in Final Doom. The technique was pioneered by TRINITY.WAD and its textfile explains how it was done.

Vanilla will have issues with skies taller than 128, however. In vanilla Heretic (where they use 200-tall skies) it's all weirdly hacked in and while the patch is 200-tall the texture definition is still only 128-tall.

Honestly of all the frequently used ports I believe only Chocolate Doom will have some issue with a sky taller than 128 pixels.

Quoting said part for reference, hope you guys don't mind.

Gez said:

The technique was pioneered by TRINITY.WAD and its textfile explains how it was done.

.../rec.games.computer.doom.editing/... said
THE SKY

You may not have noticed, but the sky in the latest version of Doom
doesn't repeat anywhere around the horizon. (Thanks to Olivier
Montanuy, author of DeuTex, for teaching me this trick.) This is done
by defining a sky texture (SKY1, SKY2, or SKY3 depending on the
episode) which is 1024x128 in size, and pasting patches into it so
that 0=East, 256=North, 512=West, and 768=South. Note that this means
that the textures are left/right mirrored! I can't think of any way
to make the sky texture animated. However you could fake twin skies
by only allowing the player to see half the sky during one part of a
level, and then later only allowing him to see the other half! A
crap example would be bright blue skies -> red skies+mushroom cloud

HELP HELP HELP, good texture artists of the Doomworld forums!

So I have tried and failed to make the sky I need. What I would like is a hellish 1024x[something] that tiles both horizontally and vertically. In my head I see some abstract swirling clouds (like you are at the center of a slowly-pivoting cyclone), but I'm game for for anything with lots of rich red.

Something red and cloudy that tiles vertically? Would this work?

Credits to IMX

He has some other variants further down if you follow the link.