Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zarameus

First timer SLADE questions!

Hello Doomworld! I'm a longtime Doomer but new to the mapmaking scene. I've been working in SLADE, toying around with my first attempt at a level for Doom 2 and things are going well enough so far.

I seem to be having some trouble with decorations however. In the 3D view, they look fine - but when I test it in game, it looks as if the floor is sort of swallowing them up a little. Like they're too far down on the Z-axis or something? I tested an enemy, and his corpse seemed to do the same thing. How can I fix this?

I have a question about doors too that I'm having trouble putting into words. When I make doors, I don't like how they look if they're just built right into the wall - like if you use vertices to section off a bit of wall and turn it into a door? And it all kinda looks flat? So to prevent that, I built a little rectangle sector (like 32x64) into the room so the door has an alcove of sorts. And then I do the same for the other side. But at times it looks like a bit too much? like, I've seen other WADs that appear to have a smaller alcove in between their doors? (Does this make sense? Is anybody following me here?) How can I create the same affect? Like, for the purpose of these door alcoves, can I create a sector smaller than 32x64?

Thank you for taking the time to read through this!

Zarameus said:

I seem to be having some trouble with decorations however. In the 3D view, they look fine - but when I test it in game, it looks as if the floor is sort of swallowing them up a little. Like they're too far down on the Z-axis or something? I tested an enemy, and his corpse seemed to do the same thing. How can I fix this?

That's a native behaviour of OpenGL ports. I suppose that you test your maps in GZDoom. If you dislike the effect, you can change it in your GZDoom's Options under Display Options -> OpenGL Options -> Preferences -> Adjust Sprite Clipping.

Zarameus said:

I have a question about doors too that I'm having trouble putting into words. When I make doors, I don't like how they look if they're just built right into the wall - like if you use vertices to section off a bit of wall and turn it into a door? And it all kinda looks flat? So to prevent that, I built a little rectangle sector (like 32x64) into the room so the door has an alcove of sorts. And then I do the same for the other side. But at times it looks like a bit too much? like, I've seen other WADs that appear to have a smaller alcove in between their doors? (Does this make sense? Is anybody following me here?) How can I create the same affect? Like, for the purpose of these door alcoves, can I create a sector smaller than 32x64?

Of course that thick-only sectors would be bad. Decrease grid size, lol! Use "[" "]" buttons to change grid size. ;)

scifista42 said:

That's a native behaviour of OpenGL ports. I suppose that you test your maps in GZDoom. If you dislike the effect, you can change it in your GZDoom's Options under Display Options -> OpenGL Options -> Preferences -> Adjust Sprite Clipping.

I see! I didn't even consider that it could have been my source port. Thank you, that makes me feel loads better. It was set to "smart," but I guess it wasn't very smart after all! Zing!

Anyway. I briefly tested it in software mode just because, and one of my door textures was out of place. In Hardware mode and in the editor, the door looks fine though. Might you know what that's about?

Of course that thick-only sectors would be bad. Decrease grid size, lol! Use "[" "]" buttons to change grid size. ;)

D'oohhh! I just love it when it's simpler than I realize. Thank you - this will help a bunch. S'what I get for tryin' to figure it out on my own. I miss the obvious stuff.

Zarameus said:

Anyway. I briefly tested it in software mode just because, and one of my door textures was out of place. In Hardware mode and in the editor, the door looks fine though. Might you know what that's about?

Did it look like a Hall Of Mirrors effect? If so, you just forgot to apply an upper texture to the door, and GZDoom was smart enough to apply a placeholder texture.

Did it look like if there was no door, but just a hole in a wall? Then the cause might be the very same as above.

Is the misplaced door texture 128 units tall, or does it have another height? In most SW-renderer ports, textures with heights and widths that aren't a power of 2 (2,4,8,16,32,64,128...) will display badly when tiled. In fact, in less advanced ports, the texture height literally needs to be 128 to allow proper tiling.

If you stated the source port(s) that you're actually playing in, it would help a lot with diagnosing the problems you can see in your map. Posting a screenshot would be even better.

scifista42 said:

Did it look like a Hall Of Mirrors effect? If so, you just forgot to apply an upper texture to the door, and GZDoom was smart enough to apply a placeholder texture.

Did it look like if there was no door, but just a hole in a wall? Then the cause might be the very same as above.

Is the misplaced door texture 128 units tall, or does it have another height? In most SW-renderer ports, textures with heights and widths that aren't a power of 2 (2,4,8,16,32,64,128...) will display badly when tiled. In fact, in less advanced ports, the texture height literally needs to be 128 to allow proper tiling.

If you stated the source port(s) that you're actually playing in, it would help a lot with diagnosing the problems you can see in your map. Posting a screenshot would be even better.

Uh. Actually, it seems to have sorted itself out? I just checked again in software with the intent of grabbing a picture, and it was perfectly fine. I'm THINKING maybe I accidentally used a previous version of my wad - from a time when the door wasn't yet aligned. So, never mind then! eh-heh... Thank you so much for this either way! In case I come back to this thread with more questions, I've been using both GZDoom and Zandronum.