Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
years

Dehacked/Whacked: Using Doom 2 states in UltDoom

Hey everybody! Quick question.

In Whacked 4 when making a DEH for UDoom it not only shows all the states for Doom 1 but also all of those for Doom II (i.e for the Archie etc). Does this mean that I can use these states for a vanilla (choco Udoom) doom hack? Also, can I use state actions from doom 2 (i.e. Archie 'raise' state)?

Thanks in advance and nice to meet you! :)

Yes, with the exception of the super shotgun which is hard-coded to be unselectable in Doom 1 (the weapon itself, that is - its states can be used in Doom 1 weapons without problems). Just remember that the required sprites and sounds are obviously not present in the IWAD, so you'll need to swap those or add new ones via a PWAD.

Yes, you can. Awesome, isn't it? Feel free to reuse/redefine the states for anything you want to, then provide sprites for them (those sprites that are not inside Doom 1 IWAD), and they will work.

You can even use the Doom 2 specific Things, and that way, you can create additional monsters (or other objects) to be used in Doom 1 (either closely based on Doom 2 monsters, or with completely new stats and behaviours as you create them). You must keep in mind that Doom 2 monster IDs are hardcoded not to spawn in Doom 1, so you must change their IDs to unique ones (ID is the first stat entry in Thing table). Then you can place them into maps by putting a new thing with Editor number = the ID. The map editor will probably list it as unknown thing, but it should spawn correctly in the game.

Excellent! This will really help my vanilla megawad a lot as I find the amount of monsters and objects in doom 1 limiting, even through I prefer 1 in all other aspects. Thanks guys!

Edit: Also, does the same apply for Doom 2 sounds too? I want to make some ambient noise things too.

Yes, the sound names are available. Provide your own sounds with same names, and they will work.