Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Enderkevin13

Scrolling Floors Help

How Do I Change The Scrolling Speed To Match The Speed Of A Wall Texture Which Scrolls Faster Than The Default Sector Scrolling Speeds?

Floor conveyor speed is defined by the length of the tagged linedef with the floor conveyor action.

Don't use sector effects to scroll floors. Use a linedef action to do it. In Boom / ZDoom in Doom format, it's something like "Scroll Floor (Move Things)". In Hexen format / UDMF, it's for example Scroll_Floor.

As the editor's interfaces are partially different, but principially similar, I knew you would figure it out if you employed imagination and a little thought effort.

You can have a floor scroll speed perfectly match a wall scroll speed easily with Zdoom in Hexen Format (and UDMF I assume).

• Give a tag to the floors you want to scroll.
  • Give a tag to the linedefs you want to scroll (by using linedef action 121).
  • Set your floor scroll speed to any value.
  • Set your linedef scroll speed to twice the value of your floor scroll speed.
Example code (in this case, I use tag 1 for both the floor and the linedef):
script 1 OPEN
{
    // Scroll the floor and texture at same speed
    Scroll_Floor(1, 0, 150, SCROLL_AND_CARRY);
    Scroll_Texture_Both(1, 0, 300, 0, 0);
}
You could probably do this without scripts, but there's a maximum value of 255 for parameters when just using linedef actions (at least in Hexen format, UDMF probably lifts these restrictions).

Finally, here's the file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/91dkeyicvbcfo9p/theyseemescrollin.wad?dl=0
Let me know if you still need assistance.

Enderkevin13 said:

But It's Scrolling Diagonally.

It depends on the values which you set to the "Horizontal Speed" and "Vertical Speed" fields. For example, if you want scroll North, set "Horizontal Speed" = 0 and "Vertical Speed" = positive number determining speed.

Okay, Here's What I Wanna Do.

I Wanna Make The Floor Scroll In This Direction, And Also Kill You When You Step In It.

How Do I Do That?

This is easy with the script I posted, since it doesn't use diagonal scrolling (as far as I can see). Just modify my script and tags to suit your needs.

You can use a sector action thing (actor hits floor) to trigger an action that kills the player when they touch it. you'll need to place one of these in each sector that you want to kill the player.

script 1 OPEN
{
    // The speed of the scrolling (change this value to desired speed)
    int speed = 150;

// Tags for the scrolling (change these values to your tags)
    int floorTag = 1; // Floors
    int wallLeftTag = 1; // Left scrolling walls
    int WallRightTag = 2; // Right scrolling walls

// Call functions to scroll at correct speed
    Scroll_Floor(floorTag, 0, -speed, SCROLL_AND_CARRY);
    Scroll_Texture_Both(wallLeftTag, 0, -speed*2, 0, 0);
    Scroll_Texture_Both(wallRightTag, 0, speed*2, 0, 0);
}
Change the speed variable to what you want, and change the tag variables to whatever you use in the map. You will need to set some walls to scroll left and others to scroll right to make the illusion work.

You're apparently not willing to read the whole reference page I linked you to, right? If you did, you would know what to do.