Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Epyo

DeHackEd question

My doom2 cd-rom didnt come with a doom2.exe, but instead a doom95.exe is there any way i can still use DeHackEd?

Eh, browse around on your Doom 2 CD, there's probably some vanilla doom2 installs in there somewhere. At least that's how it is for my Ult. Doom cd, default installs doom95 but the normal installs are there.

My CDs all have the DOS EXE as well as the '95 one (usually in a sub dir), but apparently there are a few CDs that do not have the DOS EXE.

The easiest way to get it is to DL the shareware version. The EXE is the same for doom and doom2, so the SW EXE will do you just fine. Just make sure you set the correct EXE version in your dehacked.ini file other wise you will get a load of error messages when you start dehacked. From memory, the EXE version for the 1.9 EXE will be either 3 or 4 in the ini options (near the end of the ini file).

Oh, and you are right to assume the doom 95 EXE is not suitable for dehacked. Only the DOS EXEs are.

If you want some beginner to intermediate dehacked info, pop along to my site and click the dehacked button.

http://www.btinternet.com/~Enjay001/

Enjay said:

The easiest way to get it is to DL the shareware version. The EXE is the same for doom and doom2, so the SW EXE will do you just fine.

I'm afraid not, as Dehacked will only work with v1.666 and up.

I have a shareware Doom v1.9 EXE that I got in this game pack... You
should be able to get it anywhere.

Ultimate DooMer said:

I'm afraid not, as Dehacked will only work with v1.666 and up.

he means the shareware 1.9

as long as its the shareware 1.9 or the full 1.9, it will be fine. however, ultimate doom 1.9 exe is NOT the same. besides the support for a 4th episode in doom1 (which is inconsequential), movement code relating to lost souls was transmogrified. this will desync some compet-n demos for doom2, and everyone luvs watching compet-n.

Yeah, I did mean the SW 1.9 EXE which should be the one that is readily available from most sites.

I wasn't sure if the SW EXE had the code in it to support the 4th episode (and just ignored it) or not. If it doesn't, then the version number that will be correct for the dehacked.ini will be 3. 4 is for the Ultimate doom 1.9 EXE.

As for the demo watching etc, you are probably right. I was unaware lost soul code had been changed between the regular 1.9 and the Ultimate Doom 1.9. I was just suggesting something to get dehacked working (and I know does work with the 1.9 SW EXE and the doom2.wad).

So, am I right in saying the Ultimate Doom EXE is the oddball one, and that the 1.9 SW EXE is the same as the Doom2 EXE, and therfore, that should be OK with Compet-N demos?

Enjay said:

So, am I right in saying the Ultimate Doom EXE is the oddball one, and that the 1.9 SW EXE is the same as the Doom2 EXE, and therfore, that should be OK with Compet-N demos?

as far as i know, yes.

shareware doom 1.9 = registered doom 1.9 = doom2 1.9

ultimate doom 1.9 being an oddball; it will run doom2 fine, it will play some doom2 demos, but desync on many of them.

all can be dehacked tho.

lol, forget it. I still cant get it to work and i think my wad is so good that it doesnt need dehacked special effects.

I use dehacked with the the doom95.exe. Simply change the name and path in dehacked.ini.

It will warn you about using it because it is not a recognised .exe. Press Y. You may get some funny errors, but the majority of stuff should still work. Dehacked is old and horrible, so.

Since the source is available can't you just mail him the 1.9 engine?