Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scrum

What editor do you use?

Just curious, I'm really not sure of an edior right now.

Currently DCK is DOS mode only and that's a pain in the ass to restart in MS-DOS mode.

I'm currently debating on buying DeePsea..

DETH/ZETH. I'm currently working on a codebase for the course I'm doing (Game Programming) which I will use (among other things) as a base for a Win32 editor (ZDoom specific to begin with)

GooberMan said:

(ZDoom specific to begin with)

so despite the fact that 99% of the code in your editor will be nonspecific and support doom/doom2/heretic/hexen/boom/legacy/edge/eternity/jdoom, you'll code that last one percent specifically to disable support for anything but zdoom editing! way to go asshat. although i really don't care; i doubt this editor of yours will ever see the light of day in any form.

A basic history of this editor:

Randy asked on the ZDoom forums if anyone wanted to port ZETH to Windows. I looked at the code and discovered that it's an absolute mess. I said it'd be easier to just rewrite it from scratch and started getting ideas in my head. People on IRC have also supplied me with a few ideas for this editor. All these ideas do allow expansion for other ports, but since I started out with ZETH, ZDoom support will be the first I will work on. After that, Boom support will be put in, then after that perhaps Eternity or EDGE. At the moment, I'm working out some bugs with my DLL interface (my framework currently works by having an EXE with all the features of the framework, and a DLL with program-specific stuff in it). Once they are worked out and I do a few more things, it'll be at a state where I'll start working on programs like this editor and the big assessment we are currently being given tonight in class. Now, why you decided to go off and cry about other ports not being supported when I said ZDoom will be done to begin with is something that is beyond me...

GooberMan said:

A basic history of this editor:

Randy asked on the ZDoom forums if anyone wanted to port ZETH to Windows. I looked at the code and discovered that it's an absolute mess. I said it'd be easier to just rewrite it from scratch and started getting ideas in my head. People on IRC have also supplied me with a few ideas for this editor. All these ideas do allow expansion for other ports, but since I started out with ZETH, ZDoom support will be the first I will work on. After that, Boom support will be put in, then after that perhaps Eternity or EDGE. At the moment, I'm working out some bugs with my DLL interface (my framework currently works by having an EXE with all the features of the framework, and a DLL with program-specific stuff in it). Once they are worked out and I do a few more things, it'll be at a state where I'll start working on programs like this editor and the big assessment we are currently being given tonight in class. Now, why you decided to go off and cry about other ports not being supported when I said ZDoom will be done to begin with is something that is beyond me...

err umm misunderstanding misunderstanding. i took from your other post that it would be zdoom "exclusive" meaning it would ONLY edit those hexen format zdoom maps and script them. no i dont expect you to add source port features for other ports, just support them. (i know that last sentence was muddy), meaning for example i use windeu 5.99 a lot. it was written before the days of boom, yet i use boom features in it. this is because it allows me to enter sector types, line types, special 242 colormap textures, etc. even though it doesnt understand them. so what i'm saying is if you release an editor it should support the original linedef format (the zdoom hexen maps of course use a different one) and should allow the user to enter out of range values. sorry i misunderstood when you said "zdoom specific" :)

if this project shows signs of going anywhere (no offense, but a lot of them die horrible deaths very early in life) i would happy to offer whatever help i can; even though i am not familiar with windoze programming, i write decent C, so i could work in aspects of the program that dont deal heavily with any windoze specific stuff.

The DLL code will have pretty much nothing to do with the WinAPI or the DirectX API. One of the ideas presented to me on IRC is to have port-specific stuff in separate DLLs (which means the DLL which contains the editor will link other DLLs basically), so I'll have to work out once I get to codeing it how to handle that. Perhaps you could work on Boom support while I get ZDoom happening. We shall wait and see I guess...

yeah, once you get a groundwork going, i'd be happier to help, on larger things than boom support, if i'm needed.

you'll code that last one percent specifically to disable support for anything but zdoom editing!

Um, if an editor did only support ZDoom, i.e. it could only edit the Hexen/Heretic format, surely it would be because the code to support editing the regular Doom format wasn't there, not because extra code was added?

I'm amazed i'm not the only person who still uses WinDEU v5.99.

Spike said:

I'm amazed i'm not the only person who still uses WinDEU v5.99.

everything else either costs money, crashes, or lacks rudimentary basic features.

Wadauthor, Deepsea, and Renegade DoomED 2.86 (my weapon of choice)

My $0.02 (What's that in pounds sterling?) == WadEd, either 1.71 or 1.83, depending what I'm working on.

Wadauthor.

I despise Deepsea, it just doesn't feel right. I can't create anything in it, the interface feels clumsy, IMO it's eww.

DCK 3.62. It may only run in DOS mode, but it's probably the easiest one to use. If WadAuthor had some kind of line draw function, and it's a bit more stable, I might use it sometimes.

I love DETH. It's not so friendly, is DOS and it's not easy to learn at the beggining, but you have total control of all the elements of Doom Map Editing, vertexes, linedefs, sectors, things, etc. Add some cool features, like merge linedefs, vertexes, Nsided polygons, find last tag, split linedefs and add sector, etc. and you hava a great piece of software.
Maybe you use some more time making a map but the result worth it. DETH rules!

Deepsea is the editor of choice for me, hands down! It has support for the source ports out there. Windows interface is very nice, just point and click. Three button mouse support along with wheel support to scroll through the editing modes. The main thing is that's it's constantly being updated to keep up with the happenings in the doom editing community. I can build and test my map without ever leaving the editor. For those that say it's a tough editor just remember most editors you started with are tough to learn then they become second nature as you play with them. BTW, the shareware version is limited in the size of the map you can build. I started out with the following utilities before going to Deepsea...

Doomcad 6.1
DETH
ZETH (for my Zdoom editing)

My node builder through all that was Zennode version 0.98a. Later versions were very buggy except for the latest version. (1.1.0) I use DeepBSP along with version 1.1.0 of Zennode at this time.

Cadman - Member TeamTNT