Demon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > Real life hexen!!!

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 17:39. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Captain Red
Pants

I live in a place called toowoomba. It's a city built on the side of a moutan serounded by rain forests. because were so high up, when it rains here, we often get heavy fog. I was forced to walk home one foggy day, through a park. as I wandered home through the fog and rain, I thought to myself, This reminds me of a hexen map... after a little wile I stated to get ideas for a map, neat puzzels, spechal FX, I even picked up a sitck and pretended to zap monsters with my "blood scorge" (I was alone in the park).

the map started out as a hexen map but sota become a quake map running under MHGLquake. (sorry I'm better at making quake maps). but it's looking pretty cool so far.

my question is, has any real life places/exprences given you insperation?

Old Post 08-21-02 13:36 #
Captain Red is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
VolteFace

I get inspired by everything -- malls are good places. They usually have
pretty cool architecture and stuff.

Old Post 08-21-02 14:55 #
VolteFace is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
ReX

I often get inspired by real-life places. Unfortunately, the limitations in DooM editing prevent a true replication of real-life places. Still, there are a few real-life places I've tried to incorporate into my maps.

Old Post 08-21-02 15:08 #
ReX is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Little Faith
Rigtige mænd er voldtægtsmænd

As long as it isn't a high school.

Old Post 08-21-02 15:37 #
Little Faith is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Use3D
Forum Legend

All of the dm maps in my TC are inspired by real places, or real events. And Edge Crusher was inspired by Fear Factory! That map is almost done ;)

Old Post 08-21-02 17:39 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

Ct_red_pants said:
I even picked up a sitck and pretended to zap monsters with my "blood scorge" (I was alone in the park).

<nitpick>If that's the swamp level, you can't actually get bloodscourge when you get to the swamp....(unless you cheat)

If it's the orchard you're talking about, then that's right, as you can get the weapon before that level (if you go in one of the secret areas in the monastery beforehand)</nitpick>

Ct_red_pants said:
my question is, has any real life places/exprences given you insperation?

Yep, loads. Both fictional places from books/films/tv (eg. coruscant, places in Bond films) and real places (eg. caves, castles, cities) that I've been to on holiday. In fact I built a map that is the exact layout of a laser quest arena that I used to play at, and another one based entirely on a tv gameshow. (so much in fact that you actually play the gameshow when playing that map)

Old Post 08-21-02 18:06 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Use3D
Forum Legend

Was that Phaser Quest in Fragport ultimate doomer? that level was tricky, hunting for keys in near total darkness.

Old Post 08-21-02 18:14 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer

It certainly was. (I changed the first letter cos the other LQ level I know of did the same thing, and I think I know why) It's dark because, like most LQ's, the walls are black, and the light is low. Still, putting all the zombies in made it a bit more realistic (ie. walk into a room and get shot at from all sides), and also the members tactics of the arena in question come into play as well.

Old Post 08-21-02 23:34 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Grazza
=/-

I don't remember the Phaser Quest level being dark. Lots of black walls, but the lighting seemed quite bright. Nice map anyway. One thing though: the three switches at the end to get to the exit - as far as I could tell, if you pressed them in the wrong order you were trapped in the level, and there seemed no indication (e.g. in a secret or wall texture somewhere) what the order was supposed to be. Was there a reset switch somewhere, so you could try again?

BTW, I never watched the Crystal Maze (I think I was out of the UK for some of the years it was on). Was there really a cybie at the end of the TV show, or is this just the closest likeness you could get for Mr O'Brien?

Talking of maps being based on real places, I think DSV4 map 31 could easily have been based on some of the nightclubs I went to as a teenager. :)

Old Post 08-22-02 00:14 #
Grazza is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ichor
The Mysterious Red Square

I remember a real old movie made in 1984 called dreamscape. Near the end of it, you see a big demon...thing. When I first saw the movie, I didn't think much of it, but after seeing it just recently, I saw that the beast look almost exactly like the Chaos Serpent.

Old Post 08-22-02 00:39 #
Ichor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer

Grazza said:
I don't remember the Phaser Quest level being dark. Lots of black walls, but the lighting seemed quite bright. Nice map anyway. One thing though: the three switches at the end to get to the exit - as far as I could tell, if you pressed them in the wrong order you were trapped in the level, and there seemed no indication (e.g. in a secret or wall texture somewhere) what the order was supposed to be. Was there a reset switch somewhere, so you could try again?

Unfortunately not, it's a bit of a bug, really. The triggers are all Floor: S1 down to lowest floor, and the 3 sectors are all joined together. (design fault) As long as you don't press the red switch first, and wait a few seconds in between pressing them, you should be ok.

btw, did you turn the house lights on (ie. pressing the switches behind the counter) before entering the arena, as the light level is quite low to start with.

Grazza said:
BTW, I never watched the Crystal Maze (I think I was out of the UK for some of the years it was on). Was there really a cybie at the end of the TV show, or is this just the closest likeness you could get for Mr O'Brien?[/B]

It's a shame that, as I think it was one of the best shows of all time. It was on from 1990-95, (repeated in 97) and no, there wasn't a cyber at the end of the show, I just put it there for a 'final challenge' that's meant to be harder than the rest of it. (like grabbing gold not silver credits was compared to the games)

(and it's not really a likeness of Richard O'Brien, the closest creature is probably an imp, or something out of the D&D film that he was in recently....)

Old Post 08-22-02 12:55 #
mmnpsrsoskl
Spasmolytic

toowoomba

...is about 3 hours drive from my place :P

I've had a few of these, but not for a while. Like one night, lost my wallet at my friend's 18th. It was pitch black as well, so yeah it was kinda creepy. And I thought I was playing Doom or something. So I pretended to shoot an Imp (:P) and then I found my wallet.

I was pretty pissed at the time so that's why.

Old Post 08-22-02 13:00 #
mmnpsrsoskl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
XDelusion

I carry a camera sometimes when I go someplce new so I can take pictures of shit that would look good in a map, and actually with DOOM Legacy, I have mimmicked a lot of what I have seen pretty well.

"There is no death; there is the Force."

Old Post 08-22-02 21:19 #
XDelusion is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Grazza
=/-

Ultimate DooMer said:
The triggers are all Floor: S1 down to lowest floor, and the 3 sectors are all joined together.

That's what I thought must be causing the problem (I looked at it in WadAuthor, and realized what the sequence had to be). The first time I played Fragport I had the same problem, but just IDCLIPped to the exit.

Ultimate DooMer said:
btw, did you turn the house lights on (ie. pressing the switches behind the counter) before entering the arena

I did that, but without realizing what the switches actually did.

Ultimate DooMer said:
It's a shame that, as I think it was one of the best shows of all time. It was on from 1990-95, ...

Yes, not years I watched much UK television. I do recall the Viz skit of it though: "The Bristol Maze".

Old Post 08-23-02 01:51 #
Grazza is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GooberMan
Scripting Nut

Ct_red_pants said:
toowoomba
Also known to passers-by as "OMFG WHAT A HOLE!!!" :p

Old Post 08-24-02 11:04 #
GooberMan is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Captain Red
Pants

Toowoomba is a paradox.
It's a hole on top of a mouton. :P

Old Post 08-24-02 16:35 #
Captain Red is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kid Airbag
Not really a kid. Not really an airbag. WHAT THE HELL IS IT?!? Who's asking? Are you French? An airbag is a safety device in a car that inflates during a collision and blocks you from smashing your head into the dashboard or steering wheel!

Heh, almost everywhere I go, I think "What would this be like as a Doom level?"

Old Post 08-24-02 19:25 #
Kid Airbag is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Vegeta
I don't "POST WAREZ, POST WAREZ!" anymore

Ct_red_pants said:
I even picked up a sitck and pretended to zap monsters with my "blood scorge"

Be a man and choose the fighter next time!

Old Post 08-24-02 21:46 #
Vegeta is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
mmnpsrsoskl
Spasmolytic

GooberMan said:
Also known to passers-by as "OMFG WHAT A HOLE!!!" :p

Are you sure you don't have that mixed up with Hervey Bay?

ROFL

Old Post 08-25-02 02:17 #
mmnpsrsoskl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kid Airbag
Not really a kid. Not really an airbag. WHAT THE HELL IS IT?!? Who's asking? Are you French? An airbag is a safety device in a car that inflates during a collision and blocks you from smashing your head into the dashboard or steering wheel!

Are you sure you don't have that mixed up with Cleveland?

Old Post 08-25-02 04:50 #
Kid Airbag is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer

Archvile64 said:
Are you sure you don't have that mixed up with Cleveland?

He could have it mixed up with the county of Cleveland (as it used to be known) in the UK, cos that's a bit of a hole.....

Old Post 08-25-02 12:50 #
Fredrik

I don't get inspiration from real-life places.

Old Post 08-25-02 13:15 #
Fredrik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote