Reaper Grimm
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > Is more than 32 levels in a megawad possible ?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:14. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
mr8

I wonder if it's possible to make more than a 32 levels megawad.
For example, a 60 one, with the help of a mapinfo.lmp ?
Did anyone try that yet ?

Old Post 08-23-02 18:21 #
mr8 is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Quasar

I'm sure its possible to do that through zdoom's MAPINFO lump, and I know its possible in Eternity too, by including the appropriate map info data in the header of each level. You have to always provide "nextlevel" information for the levels, and, if you want something other than reasonable defaults, you must provide level names, sky textures, intermission map graphic names, etc.

Old Post 08-23-02 18:26 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

It is certainly possible in Zdoom (Enjay squints sideways at his 76 level megawad). My megawad has a number of different hubs and pathways through the levels. You can define which level follows on from the previous one in mapinfo, or you can make it so an exit line has a parameter to tell you which map the exit takes you to. (Using that feature I have set up a mission choice level where you can pick from a number of different levels to go to by going through the "warp gate" of your choice.

The number of levels in Zdoom is unlimited as far as most practical considerations are concerned. You can obvioulsy stick to the naming convention (as I have) of MAP01 to MAP76 (in my case), but any characters that are legal as WAD entry names can be used for the name of your map lump, and then defined in mapinfo. So, any name from 1 to 8 characters long made up of any combination of almost any of the characters on your keyboard. (and maybe some extended one too?) I don't know how many possibilites that gives you, but it is a lot.

Old Post 08-23-02 18:42 #
Enjay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NiGHTMARE
Forum Legend

You can actually have 35 levels in a standard doom 2 wad, so long as you warp to maps 33, 34 and 35.

Paradox: The gateways have re-opened. But this time it isn't hellspawn who've come through...

Old Post 08-23-02 18:47 #
NiGHTMARE is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Grazza
Let's try Caesium

And of course you can have 36 levels in a standard Ultimate Doom megawad. Or 48 in Heretic.

Old Post 08-23-02 19:25 #
Grazza is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
mr8

Mapinfo lump file rules a lot.
It's cool to be able to have a special trick map07
in whatever map you want, secret exits wherever you want...
You can really go out the standard DoomII megawad.

Old Post 08-23-02 19:31 #
mr8 is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
kristus
Megablast!

what quasar said also goes for Legacy. and Edge can have infinite aswell afaik.

Old Post 08-23-02 20:18 #
kristus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
mr8

I forget a question...
What is the command to get the
"cast of caracters" screen after a level ???

Thanx

Old Post 08-24-02 02:32 #
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

next EndGameC

Old Post 08-24-02 02:42 #
Enjay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BlackFish
Forum Spammer

afaik EDGE can handle more than 32 levels

Old Post 08-24-02 03:07 #
BlackFish is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
VolteFace

I just saved a map as 'E7M6' and started the same like this:

doom -file test.wad -warp 7 6

And it worked! On the automap, it said "MAP 15: INDUSTRIAL ZONE", so
you could just edit the unused Doom 2 names from the Ultimate Doom EXE
to "E7M6: MY MAP NAME" or whatever.

When I exited the level, it crashed because it couldn't find any end
level graphics (names) -- I will keep messing around and see if I can get it
to work.

Old Post 08-24-02 03:08 #
VolteFace is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
mr8

Thanx !
Another question (BADLY ! Am I boring ???)

When I replace some levels just to see what happens,
some textures are shifted...
(or moved... I don't know the right verb...)
Expecialy warp texture (GATE0, GATE1, GATE2 and GATE3...)
I just wonder why and if it could be corriged...

I've heard a solution by "patching" the textures
with XME but I really don't know how to proceed...

Old Post 08-24-02 03:18 #
Ichor
The Mysterious Red Square

Hmm...

GATE1, GATE2, GATE3, etc. are all flats (I didn't see a GATE0 in the list). This means that if you move a sector, say a 64X64 sized one with a GATE1 flat, the sector moves, but the flat remains in the same spot. This causes the flat to look off center. In map editors, you'll usually see a grid (default is typically 64X64). Use this grid as a reference when you want to get those flats centered just right.

Old Post 08-24-02 03:27 #
Ichor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
mr8

Ichor said:
In map editors, you'll usually see a grid (default is typically 64X64).
Use this grid as a reference when you want to get those flats centered just right.

Oh... I see
Thanx, it's very logic in fact...

Old Post 08-24-02 03:47 #
myk
volveré y seré millones

NiGHTMARE said:
You can actually have 35 levels in a standard doom 2 wad, so long as you warp to maps 33, 34 and 35.

If I'm not mistaken this works with Final DOOM's doom2 and Ultimate DOOM's doom only.

VolteFace said:
I just saved a map as 'E7M6' and started the same like this:

doom -file test.wad -warp 7 6

And it worked! On the automap, it said "MAP 15: INDUSTRIAL ZONE", so
you could just edit the unused Doom 2 names from the Ultimate Doom EXE
to "E7M6: MY MAP NAME" or whatever.

When I exited the level, it crashed because it couldn't find any end
level graphics (names) -- I will keep messing around and see if I can get it
to work.

If it is asking for a particular lump you can add a new one with the required name to the PWAD. If it isn't specifying a name then I doubt it can be fixed...

Old Post 08-24-02 11:28 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
KDarigal

myk said:

If it is asking for a particular lump you can add a new one with the required name to the PWAD. If it isn't specifying a name then I doubt it can be fixed...

It's probably asking for WILV65 in this case.

(BTW, I think I've managed to kludge this together to work, sort of - but IIRC, you go back to the same level if you use a level from E5M1 on.)

Old Post 08-25-02 15:02 #
KDarigal is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
VolteFace

This is from the ZDoom source. Not sure if it's the same in the original
or not...
code:
level_info_t LevelInfos[] = { // Registered/Retail Episode 1 { "E1M1", 1, NULL, "WILV00", "E1M2", "E1M9", 30, "SKY1", "D_E1M1", 0, 1 }, { "E1M2", 2, NULL, "WILV01", "E1M3", "E1M9", 75, "SKY1", "D_E1M2", 0, 1 },
There is an entry for every different level. If it is the same, then
it is most likely NOT possible to do.

Old Post 08-25-02 18:38 #
VolteFace is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Draconio
Ack! Ack! Ack!

Quasar said:
I'm sure its possible to do that through zdoom's MAPINFO lump, and I know its possible in Eternity too, by including the appropriate map info data in the header of each level. You have to always provide "nextlevel" information for the levels, and, if you want something other than reasonable defaults, you must provide level names, sky textures, intermission map graphic names, etc.

What is the syntax for the Eternity/Legacy mapinfo? I can't seem to find docs on this anywhere.

Old Post 08-29-02 03:32 #
Draconio is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote