Spider Mastermind
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > Help Scientist

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 05:01. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Scientist
False Prophet

Yet again a question on Sprite Replacement:

I know sprite replacement has been asked about before. But here's my question:
Can you replace a sprite in a pwad, give the wad to a friend, and let him see your replaced sprites without him having to run deusf, dehacked or use doomlegacy or other stuff?
In other words:
CAN SOME-ONE SEE MY REPLACED SPRITES IF HE ONLY HAS DOOM95 AND MY PWAD?

If so, how do I make such a pwad?

please help.... please

Old Post 08-26-02 15:14 #
Scientist is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ichor
The Mysterious Red Square

I only know of one way, and that is for you to add every single sprite used in the game to your wadfile. Just use WinTex to append all the sprites into your wadfile containing the new sprite or sprites, and you should be able to play it without DeuSF. There is one down side to this, however. Doing it this way will create an enormous wadfile (maybe 4 MB).

Old Post 08-26-02 15:27 #
Ichor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NiGHTMARE
Forum Legend

Nope, if you want new sprites, you HAVE TO use either DeuSF, DeHackEd, or a port.

Paradox: The gateways have re-opened. But this time it isn't hellspawn who've come through...

Old Post 08-26-02 15:38 #
NiGHTMARE is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

The easiest way is to use ZDoom, as you can just stick the sprites in (make sure they're named after the sprites you want to replace) and it works fine.

Old Post 08-26-02 17:30 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Vegeta
I don't "POST WAREZ, POST WAREZ!" anymore

use Nwt, it is easy, clean, and powerful.
Just type "nwt -as *****.wad

Are you using DOOM95? boy, do you know that it is the crapiest source port available?

Old Post 08-27-02 01:46 #
Vegeta is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Scientist
False Prophet

Vegeta said:
use Nwt, it is easy, clean, and powerful.
Just type "nwt -as *****.wad

That went a bit to fast for me!
When should I type this?
How did it import the sprites in my pwad? (could you explain the whole procedure to me like I'm a total idiot?, I'd appriciate it)
And most of all: Does this really work? The other guys seem to think it can't be done.
Anyhow would it be possible for you to sent me a pwad where this has been done.
Thanks for your help

Old Post 08-27-02 09:06 #
Scientist is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Scientist
False Prophet

Ultimate DooMer said:
The easiest way is to use ZDoom, as you can just stick the sprites in (make sure they're named after the sprites you want to replace) and it works fine.

Will my "friend" have to have ZDoom to see the sprites?

Old Post 08-27-02 09:08 #
Mordeth
Administrator

Inserting sprites without the need to append all other sprites to your pwad

Old Post 08-27-02 10:55 #
Mordeth is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

Scientist said:

Will my "friend" have to have ZDoom to see the sprites?

Yes, he would. (it's easy to get hold of, though)

Old Post 08-27-02 11:26 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
m0l0t0v
Forum Regular

I`m quite new with adding sprites aswell...
What I`m hearing so far is:
It`s impossible to play a wad-file with new sprites when all you have is the new.wad and DoomII/ Doom95. The player WILL need an extra program, like ZDoom, Deusf or NWT.

Unless you follow Ichor`s instructions, but that would be illegal to distribute...

I always though there was a way of inserting sprites so the player wouldn`t need an extra program... anyone?

Old Post 08-28-02 20:50 #
m0l0t0v is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fredrik

Aim for Boom.

Old Post 08-28-02 20:55 #
Fredrik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NiGHTMARE
Forum Legend

Mordeth said:
Inserting sprites without the need to append all other sprites to your pwad

Scientist said:
let him see your replaced sprites without him having to run deusf, DEHACKED or use doomlegacy or other stuff?

Paradox: The gateways have re-opened. But this time it isn't hellspawn who've come through...

Old Post 08-28-02 23:54 #
NiGHTMARE is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NiGHTMARE
Forum Legend

Scientist said:
Does this really work? The other guys seem to think it can't be done.

The NWT method probably works in exactly the same as the DeuSF method.

Old Post 08-28-02 23:57 #
Scientist
False Prophet

So the answer to my question is actually:
"No"

ok, thanks for the responses though!
:)
:)

Old Post 08-30-02 13:45 #
Mordeth
Administrator

Scientist,

The answer is 'yes'. Follow the damn link already. Do as instructed, and the end-user will not have to install anything to see your replaced sprites, except to run your pwad with the dehacked patch.

Old Post 08-30-02 14:33 #
Mordeth is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote