Icon of Sin / Baphomet
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > New to Level Editing

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:42. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
pickle965

Ok, I'm supposed to be doing chores but screw that... I have recently decided to give a try at creating decent DooM levels. Any advice on which editor would be the easiest to start out with, mainly Windows based ones? Also, anywhere I can get some tutorials on starting out since I am such a complete moron?

Thanks,
Pickle

Old Post 08-27-02 19:48 #
pickle965 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
999cop
Constrained Owing to Lot

Are you serious, Pickle Hammer? Your last release of that Romero's head was decent... ;)

Old Post 08-27-02 20:06 #
999cop is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
pickle965

heheh, uh wrong guy, your thinking of someone else...

Old Post 08-27-02 20:17 #
pickle965 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Searcher

Give Deepsea a try for an editor. Free at www.sbsoftware.com
Download and look over all the tutorials here at Doomworld to under stand how to get started and what mistakes to NOT make.

Old Post 08-27-02 20:25 #
Searcher is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Biffy
Forum Regular

Follow the built-in DeepSea tutorials also, you'll soon catch on.

Old Post 08-27-02 20:50 #
Biffy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Cadman
I'm not supposed to be here...no really

There are numerous editors out there, take a look at what your requirements are. Two of the main editors out there are Deepsea and WadAuthor, take a look at them.

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

I'm a DoomGod! (Yeah, right!!)

Old Post 08-27-02 22:11 #
Cadman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kid Airbag
Not really a kid. Not really an airbag. WHAT THE HELL IS IT?!? Who's asking? Are you French? An airbag is a safety device in a car that inflates during a collision and blocks you from smashing your head into the dashboard or steering wheel!

WadAuthor is probably the easiest to start out with, DeepSea has tons of features that might just confuse someone who is new to editing. Once you get the hang of it, then decide which editor would be the best for what you want to do.

Old Post 08-27-02 22:18 #
Kid Airbag is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

Yep, I agree there, WadAuthor is fairly easy to learn and has all the usual Windows features, making it all the easier. DeePsea has those features as well, but like AV46 says, it has all the extra stuff like the lump manager etc. which could be confusing for a newbie.

Best thing to do is try 'em both, although WA has a time limit and DeePsea has a size limit (shareware versions)

Old Post 08-27-02 22:56 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
rf`
Dr. Nosign

IMO, Dck is the easiest i've seen to use nothin' but point 'n' click and what 5 letters to switch 5 diff modes (or rite clik for menu)

God this it just WAY too easy!

Old Post 08-28-02 03:56 #
rf` is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
pickle965

Hey, thanks for all the help. WA, WinDEU, and Deepsea all seem pretty straight foward. I will work with them to see which works best for me.

Thanks,
Pickle

Old Post 08-28-02 04:15 #