Icon of Sin / Baphomet
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > !@#?$%!!!!!

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:18. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Lost Soul
I appear at random

I have been trying to do a box in the sky effect to not much avail.
I am attempting to have a simple 64x64 box attatched to the roof to be specific, and I ONLY want it to come down 64, not the whole way down. I have tried making a lightbox, but Deepsea insisted on making it go right to the floor. I tried making another sector with a ceiling height of 64 (128 -64=64) and nothing happened. then I tried it again, but textured it with a 64x64 tile and got a horrible leak happening. then I tried texturing a 128 pillar with a texture that had what i wanted on the top, and a transparancy on the bottom, and the damned image tiled. I tried looking at Plutonia's Baron;s Lair, cause that skullbox right in front is more or less what I want, and I followed it's linedefs exactly, and got nowhere still.
little help anyone?

Old Post 08-31-02 18:16 #
Lost Soul is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Biffy
Forum Regular

I've not seen the exact thing you want, but are the sides of that box-in-the-sky just lines with "main" texture assigned and also an approriate y offset? Not sure why this method would be used unless it was wished that something could be "inside" the crate.

If you have a ceiling of 128 and floor of 0, a simple hanging crate should be a sector of floor 0, ceiling 64. You need to put some crate bottom flat on the ceiling of that sector, and need to have a crate texture on the upper sidedefs of the lines of the crate sector. If this is not what you are trying to do....someone else please help?

Old Post 08-31-02 18:29 #
Biffy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NiGHTMARE
Forum Legend

The effect in Plutonia's Baron Lair level is not done using different sectors. Both sides can even be the same sector, and it'll still work

What you need to do is put a middle (sometimes called a normal) texture on both sides of the linedefs. Then turn on the lines' lower unpegged flag, and then give them a Y offset of however high you want (maximum of 256). If you want the textures to be 64 pixels off the floor, give the linedefs Y offsets of 64.

Paradox: The gateways have re-opened. But this time it isn't hellspawn who've come through...

Old Post 08-31-02 18:29 #
NiGHTMARE is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lost Soul
I appear at random

Thanks!! Both suggestions worked wonderfully. I appreciate all your help!

Old Post 08-31-02 18:42 #
Lost Soul is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
boris
meow

Nice topic...

Old Post 08-31-02 19:57 #
boris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Biffy
Forum Regular

NiGHTMARE said:
The effect in Plutonia's Baron Lair level is not done using different sectors. Both sides can even be the same sector, and it'll still work

What you need to do is put a middle (sometimes called a normal) texture on both sides of the linedefs. Then turn on the lines' lower unpegged flag, and then give them a Y offset of however high you want (maximum of 256). If you want the textures to be 64 pixels off the floor, give the linedefs Y offsets of 64.

In this case, what is the appearance of the bottom of the crate?

Also, I'm curious about the "maximum of 256" y offset, since I've used higher. Is that a doom/doom2 limit? I use zdoom.

Old Post 08-31-02 22:00 #
Biffy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lost Soul
I appear at random

If this is the case, there is no crate bottom flat. You can look up and into the crate.

Old Post 09-01-02 06:35 #
Linguica

What a horrible topic. It sure makes it clear what your question is. I eagerly await your next topic of gibberish which has nothing to do with your post.

Old Post 09-01-02 08:21 #
Linguica is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NiGHTMARE
Forum Legend

Biffy said:
Also, I'm curious about the "maximum of 256" y offset, since I've used higher. Is that a doom/doom2 limit? I use zdoom.

No, it's the limit of most editors (some are 255).

Paradox: The gateways have re-opened. But this time it isn't hellspawn who've come through...

Old Post 09-01-02 10:05 #
NiGHTMARE is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Biffy
Forum Regular

Checking, now I see that what I remembered is largely the use of negative y offsets. In a tall sector, I have some textures offset to -768. These are small flags, not too high above the ground. Can't say I've use +y offsets that large.

Old Post 09-01-02 15:22 #