Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sharessa

Three more questions

Okay...3 questions:

1. How do you make those things where after the player triggers a linedef somehow, demons start to teleport in?

2. Is it possible to do this trick with a switch trigger, or does it have to be a walk-over trigger, and if so, how?

3. Is it possible to make it so hitting a switch triggers two things, such as rasing a sector to match another while have the demons teleport in, and if so, how?

K thx bye...

What people do is following:

1: You create a room outside the areas that the player runs around in where you put the monsters. Then you make a small channel into the player area for sound to channel in (so you can wake up the monsters. In the outside area with the monsters you put a teleporter on a raised floor which will lower when the player crosses a line teleporting the monsters into the player area.

Look at a map like E1M9 or Map16 to see how it's done.

2: Yes. You just make the teleporter lower with a switch instead.

3: No. Not with vanilla Doom editing. One thing you can do is to place the switch in a recess forcing you to cross a trigger line to reach it.

the_Danarchist said:
Okay...3 questions:

1. How do you make those things where after the player triggers a linedef somehow, demons start to teleport in?

Make a sector out in the void, make sure its lines are two-sided and impassable so the demons can hear you, but can't go anywhere. Be sure to put a door in the sector, and put a line after the door, WR Teleport. Tag the linedefs of the sector the monsters will teleport into something like sr*OpenDoor. Give these lines a tag number, say 1. Now tag the door sector 1, but not the lines. Take the door's lines and make them normal, so when the demons hear you, they can't open the door and teleport when you don't want them to. Works for me.

2. Is it possible to do this trick with a switch trigger, or does it have to be a walk-over trigger, and if so, how?

I'm pretty sure it's possible to do this by switch, however, walk-over is easier, IMHO.

3. Is it possible to make it so hitting a switch triggers two things, such as rasing a sector to match another while have the demons teleport in, and if so, how?

Yes, by scripts. Use ZDoom.

Yes, by scripts. Use ZDoom. [/B][/quote]
Given that he asks about how to make simple teleport traps I wouldn't complicate things further by introducing scripting.

Hmmm...theres something weird...when I make the sides of the room 2-sided, it causes the game to crash, and the corridors don't seem to work at all. Otherwise everything goes off well, but I cant get the demons to notice the player.

Using scripting to activate two switches at once is really overkill. Boom and all its descendants support a "passthru" tag or something of the sort, where you can set up a switch with 2 or more switch linedefs in a row, with the front one presumably 2S, and then give the 2S one a "passthrough" attribute so when you press the spacebar you'll hit them both at once.

it is possible to do question 3 in Doom2
Within a dummy sector in the void, place the monsters in pits of whatever depth you want, to time when they can start teleporting in. Just make sure they can't step out of the pits until the floor you want to raise is triggered, and lead a pipe into the main level so the monsters can wake. Now give all your floors the same tags.
In the level, when the floor to raise and change is activated, the pits in the dummy sector will also raise. use teleport monster special on the linedefs of the pits.

as for two sided lines, make sure there is a sector on either side before making them two sided!

Use3D said:it is possible to do question 3 in Doom2
Within a dummy sector in the void, place the monsters in pits of whatever depth you want, to time when they can start teleporting in. Just make sure they can't step out of the pits until the floor you want to raise is triggered, and lead a pipe into the main level so the monsters can wake. Now give all your floors the same tags.
In the level, when the floor to raise and change is activated, the pits in the dummy sector will also raise. use teleport monster special on the linedefs of the pits.

Yeah, I ended up doing something like that. When the sector I want raised is raised, so is the pit between the imps and the teleporter.

as for two sided lines, make sure there is a sector on either side before making them two sided!

Wouldn't that make them not see me then?

the_Danarchist said:

Wouldn't that make them not see me then?

Well, if there's supposed to be void space behind a line, it has to be one-sided. One-sided walls need only a "front main" texture.

For lines that seperate adjacent sectors, they need to be two-sided. If there's no height difference between the sectors, then no texture needs to be filled in. But if there is a height difference, you'll either need an above or below texture, or both, depending on whether the floor or the ceiling has the different height. Whether it's the front of back will depend on which way the line is facing. The line sticking out of the linedef's midpoint faces the front.

the_Danarchist said:

K thx bye...

If the trigger type is the same (eg. remote door: S1 open) you can give the remote door blocking the teleporters and the door you want to raise the same tag.

Remember that there are many ways to make a sector reveal a teleporter to allow monsters in.

Note on 3....Boom supports one floor action,one ceiling action and one lighting action simultaneously, so yes you can raise/lower and have monsters teleport in by the same trigger.I just did it in a map by using linedef type26..elevator up to next floor and linedef type126 monster teleport 2 both activated by the same tag.

If you're using Boom or a compatible port, you can place a dummy player 1 start on a conveyor belt, and have it activate as many lines as you want. The switch in this case would only need to open a door/lower a floor/whatever that's preventing the dummy player from moving.

The way I spawn monsters is to create a sector in the void, and merge (ie both sectors have the same number) it with the sector they are to spawn into. This way they will hear the player without having to have a connecting corridor.

I place a trigger in the map to open a door in the monsters sector, when open they can walk across a teleport trigger.

As NiGHMARE pointed out conveyors can be used to trigger multiple actions, these are particularly usefull for creating timed events.