Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

doom oddities

I made a dehacked patch were all enemy where able 2 go thru walls! I started it and all the monster went all over the place! I raised all monsters speed to 999 in the dehacked patch monsters would attack u from anywhere and go thru wall! And the werid thing i made all the monsters flyable and walked thru walls it was like playing doom on drugs!

1337.wad map23 the e1m3 remake has a key error when u get the blue key and run 2 the blue door it askes for the yellow key!

drav35 said:

1337.wad map23 the e1m3 remake has a key error when u get the blue key and run 2 the blue door it askes for the yellow key!

This is a joke right.

in doom2 map 6, "the crusher", you can get one of the armor bonuses that are in the little room next to the elevator beyond the blue key door. just walk into the right hand corner of the doorand get the bonus. when you open the door you can get two more by running against the wall.

I also find it wierd that the revenant punch can gib. is it same strength as the berserk fist?

It is often thought that same kind of projectile firing monsters cannot fight each other, but actually they can! If for example a baron of hell PUNCHES another, they will start fighting. I have witnessed this also with hell knight and imp. It should also work with revenant, but I have never seen that.

VileSlay: The Revenant's punch is less powerful than a berserk fist but it may turn troopers and sarges to slop because they are weak.

DooMer 4ever: Hmm, I guess a monster may accidentally bite or claw another when aiming at a partially invisible Player, but that must be very rare if possible. What you describe usually occurs when a monster bursts a barrel which hurts one of its own race. The injured monster will get angry and claw/bite the other one. Thus they get in a fight and can kill each other.

Maybe it's just my imagination, but the monsters seem to fire more often when they are far away. My little brother was the one who pointed me this out, and I think he may be right. Especially the imps and hell knights/baron of hells seem to fire more often at long distances.

One bug in a row:
If Archvile resurrects a monster who previously have died under crusher this monster becames almost invincible and can pass through walls. Only splash damage from blowing barrels kills him forever. Though I don't remember where in regular Doom maps it is possible to see this bug.

Ultraviolet said:

I'm so tempted to make a "heh" post.

Heh.

Were you hehing at this post or actually making a heh post?
Heh.

blod said:

One bug in a row:
If Archvile resurrects a monster who previously have died under crusher this monster becames almost invincible and can pass through walls. Only splash damage from blowing barrels kills him forever. Though I don't remember where in regular Doom maps it is possible to see this bug.

Isn't this a ghost?

And um, a bug?...Um shit...the fact that the doomguy can put away his weapon, take off his glove and put on his brass knuckles in about 1 second.

Little Faith said:

I hate that mancubus fireball clipping bug. As I can't strafe worth a damn I am very dependent on cover.

I'm a keyboarder and I strafe all the time, in fact it's a very important thing for me.

(I have a strange key setup that has strafe left/right near to forward/backward)

myk said:

DooMer 4ever: Hmm, I guess a monster may accidentally bite or claw another when aiming at a partially invisible Player, but that must be very rare if possible. What you describe usually occurs when a monster bursts a barrel which hurts one of its own race. The injured monster will get angry and claw/bite the other one. Thus they get in a fight and can kill each other.

they do that in the press release beta if you use noclip.

Ok I must say, you lot have been very helpful! there is certainly no doubting your love for id's master peace. This is what I’ve got so far (I did a lot of cutting and pasting from other posts to save some time, but I did add on or two of my own):

If a monster is crushed and resurrected by an Archvile, it will be able to walk through walls and not be able to be shot by the player. Commonly called “Ghosts”

You are unable to walk under/over sprite based pillars, torches, monsters, but you can duck under projectiles.

There's a 21 lost soul limit (yes 21, not 20 like BOOM says) with respect to pain elemental LS belching. Once there's 21, spawned by them or at level start, they will not spit any more until there's less than 21

Doom2 map11 is called "Circle of Death" on the intermission screen but "O of Destruction" on the automap.

Similarly, E3M7 of Ultimate Doom is referred to as "Gate to Limbo" on the intermission screen but as just "Limbo" on the map.

The fact that the "Ouch" face only appears when you take damage but gain a lot of health.

Voodoo dolls. If there's more than one Player 1 Start, the extras become passive replicas of the player. If a replica is killed, the real player also dies.

Also, tutti-frutti is kind of weird. It's those colorful confetti-like pixels that appear when an odd-sized (not divisible by 64 IIRC) texture doesn't tile properly.

Monsters can aim perfectly at any distance, but the player's autoaim range is finite. Probably not really a bug, but it is odd (and sometimes annoying) none the less.

Wall running. If you run against a wall just the right way, you can gain a huge speed boost. I guess it has to do with some oversight in the code that makes the walls "solid".

If the number of sprites visible is greater than a certain limit (64 IIRC) then some of them will flicker out. This is most likely an "intentional bug" to prevent overload on the system speeds that were the norm when Doom came out.

Sometimes corpses that fall right on an edge slide around in bizarre ways that defy normal laws of physics.

With a dehacked patch, you can make a projectile that does so much damage it will kill even if you're using IDDQD.

Also, if you dehack a monster to use an explosive weapon (i.e. rockets) and it gets hit by the splash damage of its attack, it will infight with its attacker (itself), thus committing suicide. This is probably one of the reasons Cyberdemons are immune to splash damage.

Only monsters firing "projectile"-style weapons (fireballs, missiles, etc.) aim perfectly at any range.

A Spider Mastermind becomes completely harmless at extreme ranges, but is still relatively easy to hit with rockets or plasma bolts because it is so damn big. (You too can't use bullet weapons at those ranges).

Silent BFG. If your player makes the "mmph" sound of pressing on a wall or falling just as he fires the BFG, the BFG firing sound will not be heard.

If you watch an LMP movie in DOOM II that spans more than 1 sky you only see the sky the LMP started with.

If you die and fall you make the oof sound when you hit the ground.

Mancubus fireballs can go through the edges of walls from certain angles.

Key/item grabs: slam into walls to get items beyond them.

Fast doors make a double closing sound...

If you put negative damage to a projectile, and if you are hit by it, at least in vanilla DOOM the screen change the palette, until you get hurt a bit, or win the level, or pick a berserk pack (this only work until the red effect disappear).

You can make a coward monster by giving him negative speed.

E3M8 is easier on Nightmare skill than in UV

The Yellow key bug on Evilition map 31 (I can't understand how they missed it).

If a barrel is crushed, it warps into a bit of bones and blood.

The Express Elevator to Hell from Master Levels, is unplayable on deathmatch

Pain Elementals will sometimes put a lost soul through a wall.

Pain Elementals will sometimes put a lost soul through a wall.

There's one map in Doom 2 where you don't need all the keys to exit, even though it appears you are supposed to. The Citadel, I think (forgot the map number).

I saw a dehacked patch that gave the demon a lost soul type charging attack. When I shot the demon in mid-charge, it started bouncing up and down crazily.

I seem to recall in one of the TNT Evilution maps, (forgot the name and number) there were two red skullkeys. One of them was in a big upside-down cross where you couldn't reach it, and the other was hidden. If you pick up the hidden one, and then go back to the big cross, you will discover that the key there is gone also. (If I hallucinated this whole bit, or if it's a trick of the map rather than the game's programming, please tell me. I am pretty sure it really happened though.)

The Wolfenstein Nazis always appear to face towards you when firing, even if they are aiming somewhere else. Freaky, but it is true to Wolfenstein (except that in the real Wolfenstein, Nazis do not infight so you never had to worry about them shooting at anyone else).

I saw a weird lmp of a trick on Doom 2 MAP07. It involved respawning monsters, and when the trigger monsters were all killed a second time after respawing, the step that allows you to reach the exit raises even higher.

If you are wondering why I'm doing this, it's so we accully have this list avalable for newbies, mappers, ect. I will of corse give credit to all of you who were kind enought to add you 2 cents. Keep 'em comming!

Might as well throw this one in while we're at it:

Ever wonder why the BFG damage mechanism is so strange (see the BFG faq for details)? Originally, Id had made the BFG work as a sort of plasma-mega-shotgun (it fired a huge spread of plasma and fire balls). This put too many sprites on screen (see my bit about the sprite limit) so they changed it to the big green ball. For some reason, though, they still made it use a spread damage code when the ball exploded instead of splash damage.

On a related note, maybe this isn't the sort of thing you're looking for for your list, but the reason the Imp sprites are labelled TROO and the Demon sprites are labelled SARG in the IWAD is because Id had originally planned to name these monsters Demon Trooper and Demon Sargeant, respectively.

Ct_red_pants said:

There's one map in Doom 2 where you don't need all the keys to exit, even though it appears you are supposed to. The Citadel, I think (forgot the map number).

MAP19.

oh, another bug i discovered (to confirm, take a look at udm1 map17 in doom2.exe at this location, strafe left and right a bit) is that if you make a wall long enough (i don't know the exact amount, but it should be over 6000 in length) the wall "shakes" a bit, and the floor seems to overlap the wall a bit. you have to be really close to the wall to see it, though. i think that it has to be a 90 degree angle wall, too.

I wonder why a lot of you have mentioned oddities that only appear when you use a certain PWAD or a dehacked patch? Those are obviously not oddities in Doom itself.

deathwarrior, yeah, now I recall seeing that pulsing wall effect in 1337.wad map21.

Other:

If you edit the Archvile attack via Dehacked and supress the part when he spawns fire at you and left only the part when he "throws" the attack, the attack itself do far less damage (20-35%).
Don't have a clue why is this.

Changing the ID number of the Archvile (4) in Dehacked make monsters attack him when provoked.

Also, you can reach some funny high heights if multiple archviles fire at you in a row.

Cya.

NokturnuS said:

Also, you can reach some funny high heights if multiple archviles fire at you in a row.

that's not really a bug. the attack traces your exact x and y position and the explosion goes off directly under you. it's probably the easiest way to jump in doom2.exe, but it requires a lot of health and blue armor to get it right.

Fredrik said:
I wonder why a lot of you have mentioned oddities that only appear when you use a certain PWAD or a dehacked patch? Those are obviously not oddities in Doom itself.

freddies right. stick to doom & doom2 defult wads and exes

Someone mentioned skies changing in .lmp files being kinda messed up. This is also the case in the normal game. If you go from map11 to map12, the sky will remain clouds. If you save and load, the sky will be correct.

This is a funny one for Doom2.exe and Doom.exe. If you stand the marine in a corner where two lindefs meet at a vertex, he will march in place. ;) try it, it's funny.

deathwarrior said:

oh, another bug i discovered (to confirm, take a look at udm1 map17 in doom2.exe at this location, strafe left and right a bit) is that if you make a wall long enough (i don't know the exact amount, but it should be over 6000 in length) the wall "shakes" a bit, and the floor seems to overlap the wall a bit. you have to be really close to the wall to see it, though. i think that it has to be a 90 degree angle wall, too.

happens at any length in zdoom (for me neways)but only at close range

Little Faith said:

I hate that mancubus fireball clipping bug. As I can't strafe worth a damn I am very dependent on cover.

strafing is easy, and i only use the "alt" key!

yeah, it doesn't matter what x or y position that you are at when the bfg ball explodes, but you have to facing the direction the bfg was shot.

Ultimate DooMer said:

Another (annoying) bug. Firing the bfg and then looking away after the green ball has appeared causes no damage whatsoever to the monsters. Stupid!

This isn't really a bug - more a feature, but certainly an oddity. The traces do always go out, just not in the way (i.e. at the time or in the direction) you might expect.