Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

A Christian guide to doom!

/snicker

I'm not so much concerned about the violenceor the occult overtones. I know it's not real. What I'm more concerned about is the gameplay. There's nothing quite like blowing an imp away with a shotgun blast to his gut. Or playing in Nightmare mode.

Dumbshit article said:

1. When they die, you see their blood spatter on the dark and eerie walls.

2. ...the screen pans back to show your dying body crumpled to the ground and the bloodthirsty demons eating you like a piece of meat.

3. Extra points are given for a shot in the head.

4. ...you notice many of your Marine friends disemboweled and crucified with pentagrams drawn on the walls in their blood.

5. Most of the scenery is filled with dripping bloody pentagrams and upside down crosses as well as other overt satanic imagery.

6. Playing for many hours could be cause for anxiety and/or depression.

7. Playing for hundreds of hours is getting you ready to take action against anyone who gets in your way.

8. Year of Release -- 1995

1. Uh... Duke3d, right? I remember when CNN claimed that Doom was the game where you go around shooting pig-cops with pipebombs.

2. Actually, it always seemed to me that the demons, having killed the player, were content to just sit there and walk in place.

3. Heh. What points? And what impact-area differentiation?

4. ...no?

5. Guess they never played E1.

6. Damn, that explains EVERYTHING!

7. Oh god, please, send the cops and a shrink to my house right away! I need help!

8. Right-oh.

Lol, what a stupid article, they got it all completely wrong.
Makes you wonder if they even played the game at all..

Oh sweet mother of all wonderful what a piece of trash.

[sarcasm]Riiiight, we're all insanely bloodthirsty "animals" who are "trained" to kill our best friends, yeah damn straight! [/sarcasm]

Stupid people shouldn't be allowed to comment on entertainment.

Year of Release -- 1995

As the player in "the Ultimate Doom,"

That release date is about the only thing they got right in that article. Ultimate Doom was released in '95.

"Extra points are given for a shot in the head." "When you end up being killed by the progressively bigger and badder demons on each new level, the screen pans back to show your dying body crumpled to the ground and the bloodthirsty demons eating you like a piece of meat." "When they die, you see their blood spatter on the dark and eerie walls." - NONE OF THESE FEATURES are incorporated into the official PC release of Doom.
--Otto da Fé, age 18, non-Christian

Dontcha just love how they stick on "Non-Christian" in an attempt to nullify the validity of the statement?

What Christians and religious people fail to see is that the Pentagram is actually a symbol of protection. you would stand inside a Pentagram and it would protect your from evil.

Doom is quite mild compared to some of the recent offerings from ID - Doom II

hah.

hahahaha.

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAAHHAHA

/me dies from laughter

Gooberman: I think that comment was freely posted and the guy who posted it stuck that on their himself so he could seem all sup4r1337. Heh, people do that. Have you met many nu-metal "goth" posers? They spout quotes like "FUCK YOUR GOD" and "YOUR GOD IS DEAD" just so they can be "controversial."

Although you could be right. Maybe the site maintainer put that on him/herself.

There are other comments in there labeled "Non-Christian" aswell, I doubt it's just that one person acting 5up4r1337...

Thanx. But it's a bit too moderate, seems the holy spirit was on holiday when he wrote the review. A pity they don't review games like carmagedon, gta...

Extra points are given for a shot in the head.

Err, no. The only games I know with that feature are Unreal (with certain weapons) and Sin.

I bet they didn't cause a fuss about Wolfenstein 3D though....(even though that has lots of blood, gore and violence)

mmnpsrsoskl:
What Christians and religious people fail to see is that the Pentagram is actually a symbol of protection. you would stand inside a Pentagram and it would protect your from evil.

It depends on how the pentagram is drawn. With one point up it is indeed a symbol of protection against evil forces. However drawn with 2 points up (like in Doom) it represents the goat of lust; an invitation for the dark lord to come and corrupt your soul.

Mulder explained this in an X-file episode once, so it has to be true!

Yeah and also those face-in-pentagram symbols (like the one at the end of E1) are the Sigil of Baphomet (might not have the name exactly right, something like that) which is a symbol of the church of Satan.

The X-files also explained the symbol of the inverted cross. St. Peter, the guy who first established and led the Christian sect of Judaism, asked to be crucified upside-down because he didn't think himself worthy of dying the same way his idol and mentor did. Nowadays the inverted cross is the symbol of the Order of St. Peter, a Catholic priestly order.

Of course, this looks like a Protestant website, so it's prety safe to say ( Catholic == Satan ) in their eyes.

The game is completed only after you have survived a great number of levels, each requiring scores if not hundreds of hours to master.

MuhahAAhAhaHAahaHaHahaHAhahahahaahahah.

I hate this kind of crap so bad I don't even need to go read it to know I hate it.

Anyways, about the pentagram -- it means many things to many different people. To Wiccans it represents the four elements together with the spirit, as well as several other things they associate it with. For the Temple of Set, the inverted pentagram is a symbol of dynamic balance. For early Christians in England, it was a symbol of warding placed over doors.

Anyone who isn't ignorant would realize that any symbol can be used for intents both good and evil. You need to go no further than the manji to realize this -- the manji is the symbol which was perverted by the Nazis into the swastika. It is always drawn flat rather than angled upward, and the arms "turn" in the clockwise direction rather than counterclockwise. Note that many ignorant people confuse the manji with the swastika too.

Of course, to Christians, all symbols are evil except for the cross, and then, some crosses are evil to some Christians and not to others. For instance, the inverted cross, the symbol of a particular saint, is reviled by some Christians without any clear reasoning. Protestants rarely agree with Catholics on usage. Its ultimately fairly ridiculous.

What is important is the meaning conveyed, IMNSHO.

Check this one out:

http://www.christiananswers.net/spotlight/games/2000/goldeneye007.html

These people msut be smoking crack. Stupid fanatical "christians"...

=======================
Now it's not as violent as "Mortal Kombat" -- people thrown on spikes -- or "Doom" -- sex in animated bathrooms -- but how violent does violent have to be? It's a little more intelligent than the others, brings in some cultural and regional history -- The Russians and the cold war -- and makes spying seem sexy.
========================

Man...talk about brainwashing people by giving them incorrect facts...lol

I'm wondering if this whole site is like SA's "TruthMedia", writing factually incorrect reviews for the sole purpose of seing how many people flame them.

And the swastika was s symbol of good luck and good health all over the world until the Nazis started using it.

Reply to:
===================
I'm wondering if this whole site is like SA's "TruthMedia", writing factually incorrect reviews for the sole purpose of seing how many people flame them.
===================

I wouldn't be surprised. I also think it's a form of mind control (brainwashing, intentional misinformation) which is what these "Christians" (read: fanatical Christians) incorporate into their religion.

I was raised as a Catholic (something which I am abandoning anyway), and honestly these "Christians" give christianity a bad name.

Uh, yeah, that page is retarded... but quit talking about pentagrams based on info you got on TV series, the web, or whatever, I don't want to think you people are almost as superstitious and dumb as the standard christian.

m0l0t0v said:

It depends on how the pentagram is drawn. With one point up it is indeed a symbol of protection against evil forces. However drawn with 2 points up (like in Doom) it represents the goat of lust; an invitation for the dark lord to come and corrupt your soul.

Mulder explained this in an X-file episode once, so it has to be true!

That's not quite accurate. The pentagram, two-points-up, is a symbol of modern Satanism that represents the division of religion from the state. The original symbol, the penticle with one-point-up, is merely a Paganistic icon. Each point representing varoius apsects of the earth and each God responsible for it's care.

Of course, Paganism is really more of a subjective faith and lifestyle. One is able to perceive the meaning of the penticle however he or she sees fit. Such is one one reasons why Satanists invited themselves to reinterperet the symbol.

It should be also noted that Satan is neither a demon or a god. Such is one of the greatest misconceptions of Christianity. Rather, Satan is a term which simply means "enemy", or more commonly, "enemy of God".

Technically, all sinners can be considered the Satan. But let's bother with the semantics. =)

[So... how bout that Doom?]

christianity considers anything beyond it views as evil. such as penagrams and other symbols. even a number of goods and spirits are made evil, even though in their culture they represented good. it is just proff that religions are you are with us and good, or not with us and evil. personaly i dont approve of others saying another culture is evil.

Quasar said:

Anyone who isn't ignorant would realize that any symbol can be used for intents both good and evil. You need to go no further than the manji to realize this -- the manji is the symbol which was perverted by the Nazis into the swastika. It is always drawn flat rather than angled upward, and the arms "turn" in the clockwise direction rather than counterclockwise. Note that many ignorant people confuse the manji with the swastika too.

Not to mention that the symbol is used by... I think it's the Hindus as some sort of peace symbol. Also the Vikings used what is now known as the Swastika as the symbol of the Sun.

I've long thought that people who deem symbols as symbols of Evil are stupid beyond stupid and now I actually hate them for that stupidity - I loved to draw the swastikas as a kid - but then I was told not to because people, I was told, would think that I was Nazi and Nazis are evil I was told. I was really sad, because I loved to make these cool symbols in various creative ways - fucking morons who give a damn symbol so much power.

Sephiroth said:

personaly i dont approve of others saying another culture is evil.

youve got a split personality disorder

dsm said:

fucking morons who give a damn symbol so much power.

Exactly. They give it power over themselves. Just proves that religions and cults are the same thing.

;a christian, but knows right from wrong, good from bad, dumb from dumber, unlike some morons I know.

If I make no sense, don't worry, I know that.

Haha, breaking fragile christian minds is so much fun these days. I love how the 'reviewer' of Doom seemed like he had almost no concept of the game.

I don't know why the author of the article had to embellish on some of the game's features (head shots, bonus points, demons eating player, blood splatters etc..) Doom and games like it aren't for everyone. Doom clearly does not fall into any christian category of "wholesome" entertainment.

Differing interpretations of some of the symbols in the game notwithstanding, the intent of those symbols is indeed to convey an evil, satanic, and occultic atmosphere. The reason for this is of course to help instill the element of fear into the game. The article is correct in its conclusion that Doom isn't compatible with christian philosophy.

That said, the author did not call for the game to be banned. I wish he simply stated christians shouldn't play it or let their children play it because it is inappropriate, an opinion he would be entitled to. I wish he would have been more honest and accurate regarding some of the details about the game. I also wish he hadn't decided to say the game causes depression and violent behavior, an opinion for which there is no basis in fact.