Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

physics class...

ok i know littel about doom, or codeing in general. in the doom engine is there equations for the games physics. like if Axb=c then c/b=a. shit like that. or is it done some other way.

also if there are math equations in the doom code. how many, if any, are based on real physics.

I have never looked at the code, but I imagine Carmack just 'faked' physics with tables of values and variables that change over time.
(which is similar to real physics, but nothing like Doom3 will be)
Yes, the items have "mass" and "movement speed", but these are merely values -- that is, Doom isn't so far away from the side-scrolling games, or even the 2D games for some of the functions.
the Quake-engine games OTOH use in-game physics... every moving entity has mass and inertia and movement vectors.
Shoot the Zombieman(from Doom3) in the head... and he will flip over... not just fall backwards.
to answer your question: virtually all code has a certain amount of mathematics... games like Doom and Quake are almost exclusively number crunchers with groups of variables always active.

The most advanced FPS physics engine I've seen is from the little-known "Trespasser: Jurassic Park" (I think Thief was based on this engine, but I could be wrong). Every object had its own mass and consistency, and a falling crate would make different impact noises depending on what it hit, how fast it was falling, etc. Unfortunately it ran slow as hell on even fairly fast computers and it wasn't a terribly good FPS, more like a first person adventure game that happened to have guns (there were like 40 different weapons though, but you could only carry two at a time). Still a pretty cool game.