Weird impy thing
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Hey Kris...
Pages (2): « 1 [2]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 15:40. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DooMBoy
Heh
(but Stupidity still cannot be concealed)

I play using the standard arrow keys, shift and alt controls. I have tried to play with the letters on the keyboard and I simply CANNOT get used to it. The same goes for the mouse, can't get used to it.

Old Post 07-24-01 13:16 #
DooMBoy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
deadnail
i define my reality through misery

Well Doomboy I never liked the original Doom configs... so I ended up using a gamepad. Playing Duke3D with one wasn't too bad, I must've beaten the demo a hundred times with my generic 4 button gamepad. =P

Then I DMd some guys and held my own... then I tried TeN with Duke and I got my fucking ass stomped. I emailed one of them and he said he was a 'mouser', and he sent me a link to a Marine's website.

He went into great detail about how he set up Duke and I forced myself, over the course of about a week or so, to get used to his config so I could compete with him:

Arrow Up = Walk forward
Arrow Down = Walk backward
Arrow Left = Strafe left
Arrow Right = Strafe right
Ctrl = Crouch
Keypad 0 = Jump
Mouse = Turning for fine aiming at a distance
Mouse 1 = Fire
Mouse 2 = Open
Mouse 2 double clicked = Quick kick
Mouse 3 = Mouse aim temp (not toggle)

I played through Duke3D about six times like that... and by the end I could go through whole levels only getting hit by bullet weapons... and even then not that many. =)

Circle strafing, even today, can beat out just about any AI that comes your way. Well, except for RUN IN ZIGZAG AND PUNCH THE FUCKER.

For Blood I used mouse 2 as alt-fire and mouse 3 as open... there's not much aiming that needs to be done in a 2.5D game anyway.

I didn't change this when I moved onto Half-Life and SoF... I merely made one change... I used the spacebar for reloading... so I could reach over and smack it without hunting down that 'r' key. That and keeping freelook on, of course.

I beat both of those games with little trouble either... but after Half-Life, Unreal, SoF, Quake 2, UT, Quake 3, Blood 2.... and a bunch of other games I started getting sick of using this config. It's just not as comfortable as it could be, for instance, you have to slide the keyboard to the left. =)

So, I fired up Unreal Tournament a few months back and did some botmatching for a few hours straight, forcing myself to get used to the WASD standard. After using the arrow keys (with left and right for strafing) for a while it just seemed like a natural progression.

There are to big advantages to WASD over the arrow key mouser config. First and foremost, its much more comfortable during prolonged gaming sessions. Second, QE and R are well within reach. With your ringfiger on A and your first on D you don't have to worry about getting lost in that. =)

If you want to hear about some really complex FPS configs, here is mine for both Undying and Soldier of Fortune:

Soldier Of Fortune
W = Walk forward
S = Walk backward
A = Strafe left
D = Strafe right
Shift = Duck
Space = Jump
Q = Cycle inventory
E = Use inventory
R = Reload
Mouse = Freelook
Mouse 1 = Fire
Mouse 2 = Open
Mouse 3 = Alt-Fire (there's not much use for this in SoF)
Mouse wheel up = Weapon special 1
Mouse wheel down = Weapon special 2

With this I have the whole game in my easy control. The best part is I can use the wheel to zoom in and out with the sniper rifle! =)

Undying
W = Walk forward
S = Walk backward
A = Strafe left
D = Strafe right
Shift = Duck
Space = Jump
Q = Spell selection ring (tap for favorites)
E = Weapon selection ring (tap for favorites)
R = Weapon special (reload, switch modes)
Mouse = Freelook
Mouse 1 = Fire
Mouse 2 = Spell
Mouse 3 = Use inventory
Mouse wheel up = Cycle inventory up
Mouse wheel down = Cycle inventory down

The only game that worries me, really, is Duke4Ever 'cuz it will introduce some new functions... like the 'Grab' key. I'll have to figure a way to do that one. =)

Oh, and have you guys seen the previews for Max Payne? Oh man, I can't wait to hit the 'bullet time' button, do a Matrix roll down a hallway and pump lead into some asshole's face before he can even swing that uzi in front of him. =)

Old Post 07-24-01 16:02 #
deadnail is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote