Weird impy thing
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > hardware help

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:09. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Sephiroth
O o
/Ż_________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH LAZOR!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

i have a cd burner but it gets hot from time to time, and not while just burning cd's. so i have decided to put a cooling fan on it. however does such a thing exist? i have seen fans for every thing except cd drives. I have been thinking about a large hard drive fan. I would like to know if cd drive fans exsist or if they dont is a hard drive fan good to cool down a hot cd drive

Old Post 07-21-01 19:29 #
Sephiroth is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Lüt
Administrator

Just put it in a tub of water, that should take care of it.

Old Post 07-21-01 19:30 #
Lüt is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Sephiroth
O o

they have a cleaning chemical that they do that with but the prob is it is not leagal in the US because it contains CFC's

Old Post 07-21-01 19:33 #
Sephiroth is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

Tell us the brand of the thing. You might be experiencing a malfunction in your power supply, or just the consequences of a lousy manufacturer.

Old Post 07-21-01 19:38 #
Zaldron is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
fodders
OWNS YOU

http://www.coolermaster.com/home.html

Old Post 07-21-01 20:34 #
fodders is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Peter Heinemann
Marathon Man

My advise is to add a fan in front or back of the cd burner. Try to place it so that the cd burner is in the fan´s air stream. If you prefer to add the fan on the top of the CD burner, first glue a heat sink on the CD burner (special glue, buy it in a computer store) and then add the cooling fan on the heat sink. Place the fan so that the air will be sucked away from the heat sink, not the other way! That makes a difference!

If you ever want to glue a heat sink onto a harddrive, please keep in mind that some harddrives (especially IBM) have so called "breather holes" on their top, where the air goes through air filters. Those holes have to stay free, otherwise the drive will be killed within minutes!

Old Post 07-23-01 01:46 #
Peter Heinemann is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Sephiroth
O o

the idea of heatsinks had crossed my mind, but i would need some big ones. i put my burner in the lowest bay i could so it could cool easy. i think heat killed 2 normal drives. the first died about 2 weeks after i installed the cd burner, the second died within 3 weeks after i replaced that one. the normal cd drives are at the very top of my tower and get little air. anyway i only spent $10 on the normal ones but about 200 on the burner so i want that one to stay! well were could i get a fan/heatsink big enough for my drive. i have seen hard drive fans but none with heat sinks. also how much would it cost, i am building a server and may get the part free from a warehouse full of old computer parts

Old Post 07-23-01 02:20 #