Demon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > many of u seem...

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 20:11. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Sephiroth
O o
/Ż_________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH LAZOR!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

many of u seem to lack computer knowage. i have gotten replies to my server post about LINUX being a bad idea for the OS of my server. first of all it does not matter what OS it is, just as long as the files and programs being shared are the same and the same version. second it is common for game servers to be linux, or unix, play half-life and see it will even tell u. you can play a game in windows with a linux server. also servers that hold web pages may not be windows, many are not. many are unix, linux, openbsd, ect; these OS's are very similar. i am not going to pay $150+ for a unstable windows for my free server. I can pay 30 for a boxed set of linux which is far more stable. dont worry even if u have windows u can still play doom on my server, so just dont think about it ok! the earliest my server may be up is the end of august. also if it goes down between 6:30am-4:00pm est time after aug26 u will have to wait till 4:00pm for me to reset it.

Old Post 07-23-01 17:39 #
Sephiroth is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
elbryan42
Your Friendly Neighborhood Cacodemon

I love computers, I have many pieces of paper outlining my computer knowlege. I'm going to school for a second time for programming, and already have vast hardware and software knowlege. I know DOS and Windows. I love Linux, problem is, I don't have the TIME to play around with it, just to get it perfect. If you know me, I'm a perfectionist, and getting LINUX just right takes time, downloading, patching, coding, etc. And since I'm not confident enough in my knowlege, I never gave advice. That's something that's missing around here. People who think before they post.

Old Post 07-23-01 18:00 #
elbryan42 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

People who think before they post.

Is that a direct bash to the population in general or the ones that insulted LINUX?

Old Post 07-23-01 18:07 #
Zaldron is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
elbryan42

General. One word: polls.

We need SOME intellegence around here.

And why would people insult Linux? The only things wrong with it is that it's not as compatible with as much things as windows is (everything is made for windows nowadays), and that's not a problem anymore, since there's WINE. The other problem is it takes time and devotion to get it to work perfectly. Most people, including me, don't have the time or patience. Maybe after I'm done school again...

Old Post 07-23-01 18:28 #
elbryan42 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

I have used LINUX, it's nice, fast, cheap, stable, did I mentioned fast? But it's not compatible with the programs I use, so I wiped out that one from my system.

If you're looking for higher IQs, you either give rational posts that incite people to think smart replies, or pay a visit to the DooM 3 forum. You can at least look at my tech-talk.

Old Post 07-23-01 19:07 #
Zaldron is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Lüt
Administrator

And why would people insult Linux? The only things wrong with it is that it's not as compatible with as much things as windows is
You pretty much answered your own question there.

Old Post 07-23-01 19:13 #
Lüt is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
elbryan42

My friend uses WINE (windows emulator). He says it works with everything, since it uses the windows dlls. You just need windows installed first, then install wine, and everything works. I personnally haven't tried it, but if I ever get around to installing linux again, I'll try it out.

Old Post 07-23-01 19:15 #
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

EMULATION = SLOW by definition.

If it's 0.1% slower, I won't touch it. Why? Because that 0.1% DOES mean something when you're rendering a 12 hours-long process.

Old Post 07-23-01 19:26 #