Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
magikal

Source Port or Vanilla?

This should be a poll but I can't see that option anywhere. Just to get an idea: How many use a source port more than the original exe's?

not me. i tend to watch older demos which work best with vanilla, and the midi-music only seems to work with it with me. i don't care about jump or freelook, GL is nice but it works only so-and-so on my system, but when i want that sexy outlook i use glboom. i have something wrong with me, i actually find legacy apalling.

for online dm i tend to go more towards zdaemon than zone.

I tend to use ZDoom and sometimes GL/PRBoom for mostly everything. I only rarely use the original executable, mostly in cases such as testing if a level is compatible with it.

Unless something explicitly requires another port, I always use my creation, Eternity. I'd be a hypocrite if I preferred anything else ;)

magikal said:

This should be a poll but I can't see that option anywhere. Just to get an idea: How many use a source port more than the original exe's?

The misc forum is the only place you can post polls. I had to place my 'favourite level themes' poll in there instead of the General thread.

At the moment I use ZDoom more than vanilla, but if I'm playing old episodes with their own tunes, I use vanilla.

Well, I used to play vanilla exclusively, but then my old copy of Doom got fux0red up so I had to go out and buy the Collector's Edition, which sadly enough comes with Doom95 (which sucks ass) and no dos launcher. So in the end I had to download a couple of source ports.

Now I usually play with PRBoom - but I often play with JDoom as well.

magikal said:

This should be a poll but I can't see that option anywhere.

I think what you'd need to do is to post it in Religion and Politics, and include in your text a request that a mod moves the poll to the forum where it belongs.

To answer your question, I never use the original .exes. For wads that don't require a specific port, I tend to use them as follows:
Legacy when I think I might try recording, and often for general purpose playing.
jDoom when playing something for fun (or when there is use made of AV bugs, and so Legacy or Zdoom wouldn't play it properly).
GLBoom for watching doom(2).exe demos and to test whether specific tricks (key grabs, etc.) work as a result of something in the map, rather than a source-port quirk.
Zdoom whenever there is something not quite right when using some other port (e.g. GL doesn't work well, a .deh file screws jDoom up). Also sometimes for general purpose playing, or if I want higher resolution for some reason.

I play with mlook on and autoaim off.

prboom (gldoom in fact) most of the time, then legacy. Zdoom if wad requires it. I have Jdoom installed but don't really use it.

I use source ports all the time.

Mainly because I have yet to make Doom.exe work with my sound card (SB Audigy, similar to SB Live).

I use vanilla most of the time, though I do watch demos with prBoom and play levels with ports if they happen to require it.

dsm said:

Well, I used to play vanilla exclusively, but then my old copy of Doom got fux0red up so I had to go out and buy the Collector's Edition, which sadly enough comes with Doom95 (which sucks ass) and no dos launcher.

The shareware package comes with the DeathManager launcher plus vanilla Doom executable version 1.9, which runs all IWADs - Ultimate Doom, Doom2 and even TNT & Plutonia (though you have to rename them to Doom2.wad).

Zdoom. Best all round DOOM feel IMO. (I have to use the older version to play fast paced vanilla stuff, which is tha majority i play)

Zdoom - love the editing features.
Legacy - enjoy some editing.
Boom - always great.

Vanilla - can't go back to it - just seems too old... ive been spoiled...

I use ZDoom because I can run it in a small window and keep doing what I'm doing in the background. I don't use the old .exe anymore. I use Legacy if I want to do a multiplayer game with a friend, and SkullTag if I want to frag bots.

When I edit levels, I try pretty hard to make them vanilla compatible.

I use doom and doom2... very rarely mbf (booting back to dos so the instrument patches will work properly.) Other than that I may use zdoom or prboom to check out things, but not really play. Occasionally I watch a demo or two made with yet another engine. I also use zdaemon to play multiplayer sometimes. If I use a source engine I set it up to feel, sound and look as closely as possible to the original.

Janizdreg, the v1.9 in the shareware package can run doom2 and the Final DOOMs (using -file is better than renaming them) but not The Ultimate DOOM (there's no 4th episode support.) Asking someone for the two other EXEs (or all three) if you bought The collectors edition can't be illegal or anything, if you want them for any reason. I'm going to put them up at my page... which isn't up yet.

I think one of the only reasons I still play Doom is because of source ports. I first found Legacy and worshipped it. I moved on to ZDoom not long ago and never looked back.

There's nothing wrong with the old doom (or doom2) exe file, but I like the extra options, the mouse-moving, and the TCP/IP. SkullTag bots and demos where you can talk to your audience, as well as enhanced weapon changing and extra editing features are some of the things that always bring me back.

does WinDoom count as a port?

either way, i always use that when i'm making doom2.exe-compatible levels.

There's an original EXE ????? Nobody told me ;-)

I have pretty much all the well known, and some of the lesser known source ports currently installed "just in case" but I rarely use anything other than Zdoom.

The only time I ever use Doom(2).exe these days is either to check how something behaved in the original, if I want to compare it to a port's behaviour, or I use it as a required file to make dehacked work.

The last time i used the original .exe's was sometime in 1996.

We only got back into playing/editing Doom in January of this year (after buying Doom CE), and as the supplied exe sucks donkeycock, we started fiddling with ports.

I tend to play Vanilla Doom, but since doom95 and the oringinal exe is borked on my computer, I tend to use the port thats as close to the oringinal exe. so I pretty much use Prboom or Eternity.

I use Legacy for online games and Zdoom for special user maps.

Both source ports (all different ones) and vanilla doom*.exe

It seems like there's a lot of people being deprived of the old dos execs. I thought I heard later that they are somewhere on the collector's edition disc but I guess not. Would it be considered warez if someone zipped and uploaded all the files of the dos versions of Doom except for the actual IWads? Since the source is out and vanilla execs modified with dehacked are being distributed in a few rare instances, it seems like the IWads are really the only things that are still warez. Setup.exe, dm.exe, and other files are distributed with shareware.

Yeah, I bought the Collector's Edition earlier this year, and it doesn't include any DOS executables. Only doom95, and apparently they packaged it incomplete, so a file is missing which might make the mouse not functional (apparently installing the doom95 shareware fixes this.) I'm planning to host the original DOS executables for downloading at my page as well, for this reason (as I said above.)

I enjoy using Vanilla Doom2 but also like Zdoom alot. I use legacy when a wad calls for it and I just began experimenting with Jdoom.