Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deviant Force

Most Hated Map

Yup, Chasm for me too. Annoying puzzles/gameplay, butt ugly, annoying puzzles/gameplay, nothing interesting, annoying puzzles/gameplay, no atmosphere, annoying puzzles/gameplay, too bright, annoying puzzles/gameplay and that bug where it was possible to save on one of those stupid thin ledges but whenever you reloaded your game you were already off the edge and falling.

Oh yeah, and did I mention the annoying puzzles/gameplay?

I really don't like downtown, it's boring ugly and irritating. It still takes me forever to get through, I just never bother to remember the right way through it. Mainly though, I just don't like doom 2's "city" levels, they just don't do much for me. I do kinda like Suburbs though, mainly because of the teleporting enemies, that's a fun little fight. I think my favorite level is the abandoned mines, it's nice and fun. As for Nirvana, besides being a little small, I don't really have anything against it.

most of the maps from doom 2 mentioned I don't like either.
I tend to dislike most of the maps that seem "unrealistic". sure tricks and traps is good for a shooting game, but for a "doom" level, it doesn't fit in.

doom64, I don't like alpha quadrant..
and the void, just for the pain elements alone..

Now I think about it, I'd say that I hate most maps in Doom 2.

Let's see now, maps I like in Doom 2....:
The Waste Tunnels
The Crusher (neato atmosphere)
Dead Simple
Tricks and traps
The Pit
Refueling Base
The Factory
The Citadel
The Spirit World
(The Living End - but only to a degree)
Wolfenstein
Grosse

The rest is just shite imo, both gameplay-wise and as far as looks go (but even most of the D2 maps I like have shitty looks anyway).

I like the chasm. Especially considering that it is pretty unique among DOOM/DOOM II maps, and that it changes the pace of the game a bit, offering a challenge in a different way. Those supposedly annoying "puzzles", which arent really puzzles, work pretty well in testing precision in play. Also, the monsters are pretty well distributed in the areas they inhabit (with the skulls and cacos being an appropiate "annoyance.")

As for doom2 in general, it is pretty good. Considering the time they spent on it, using innovative features (SSG + new monsters, etc.) they did a fine job, especially where it really counts; the playability department. The least interesting maps are, in my opinion and not surprisingly, the Wolfenstein maps, although they look cute there and aren't a problem... so whatever.

You know, that first dark area in Waste Tunnels gave me an idea for a lighting effect that from what I can tell, has never been done before.

Try this (no source port needed) to see what I mean.

Ultimate DooMer said:

I like the chasm as well, one of my fave DooM 2 HOE maps. The only problem with it is there's too many shells and rockets.

Yeah, and there are those damn paper thin ledges.

I don't like Downtown because I get lost every single time I ever play it. It's annoying and blah.

I also don't like the Chasm much because there's too much balancing and dumb little puzzles and stuff.

Y'know, I don't dislike any of the levels in UD, but I do dislike the placement of the levels. E4M2 is one of the harder ones. It's one of the ones I can't always beat every time with a pistol start and get max. Even E4M6 is easier than it, and E4M4, hah. Don't make me laugh.

Downtown shows that sometimes non-linearity can make a level bad.

It There are so many paths that seems to go somewhere interesting, but only ends up taking you where you already were.

The only thing I liked about Downtown was being chased by arachnotron cops while being bombarded with fireballs from windows above, that was cool.

This is the reason I love map29 of Plutonia.

There is way too many maps to list in Doom2, but only one that I can think of in Doom1, and that's e2m1

Ichor said:

You know, that first dark area in Waste Tunnels gave me an idea for a lighting effect that from what I can tell, has never been done before.

Try this (no source port needed) to see what I mean.

That's kind of a cool little light effect. I don't recall seeing it before either. Be cool to see it in a real level.

I'm considering making a deathmatch map for Doom 2 (I haven't made one since hepta.wad nearly six years ago), and after some more tinkering, I'm going to use that effect in a few places. It's probably going to be a dark, hell type map, so strange effects like that will fit in better.

And another map that annoys me is E2M3, but that's just because of the music. IDMUS fixes that right up, though.

I don't remember the name (I hate it that much) but I think it's the first map of Ultimate Doom. The one where you start surrounded on the backside by pink demons and you have sargeants in the front. I just didn't really like it. For Doom 2, my vote is for The Chasm. Oh...and I hated Slough of Despair. ::shudders::

I don't like alot of Doom2, but i can't remember too many of the specific levels. I did like the town levels though, because they were chaotic...the monsters didn't seem as "Placed." This is the feeling i'm aiming for in my megawad.

Any level.. and game -anything- that requires me to inch along on one pixel of ledge and have lingering death if you fall..

*grumble*

Silverwyvern said:

Any level.. and game -anything- that requires me to inch along on one pixel of ledge and have lingering death if you fall..

*grumble*

the only thing it does is slow down the game. It would have been better to have much wider ledges, and more monsters in the area..

KoRn said:

the only thing it does is slow down the game. It would have been better to have much wider ledges, and more monsters in the area..

Yeah ;) Like a thousand lost souls ;)

Phoenix said:

DEAD SIMPLE.
It sucks single and multi

yeah, it does suck..
even simpler for doom64 is better..

on multi player it is fun sometimes, depends on which weapons are there..

DooMBoy said:

the map just plain makes no sense

Is there actually one single Doom2 map that makes sense?

I guess DOOM II doesn't make a good instruction manual, textbook, or religious guide...

myk said:

I guess DOOM II doesn't make a good instruction manual, textbook, or religious guide...

I use mine to heat up pizzas.

Silverwyvern said:

Well, if you're thinking of the Chasm, Sedlo has shown that you don't need to inch along them; you can SR50 along them :)

Favorite levels:
Map28 (The Spirit World--the underground lava chasm and arena with the spiderdemon is a near perfect rendition of hell)
E3M7 (Gate To Limbo--Has that hellish feel I crave in a map)
Map29 (The Living End--The lowering platform with the torches and chainguns is the best map start ever)

Least favorite levels:
Map24 (We hates the Chasm forever!)
Map21 (Nirvana--Dull. Ugly. Brown.)
Map30 (Icon of Sin--disappointing)