Severed bunny head
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Just got Max Payne... WOW...

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 15:36. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
elbryan42
Your Friendly Neighborhood Cacodemon

Fun to the extreme. I've been waiting for an action game with a plot and that's fun for years. Serious Sam was fun for pure action and no thought. Max Payne is one of those rare games that engrosses you. If I wasn't at school now, I would be at home playing it right now. Slow motion is cool. The game is super fun.

Old Post 07-26-01 21:56 #
elbryan42 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
spank
I'm afraid of Americans

How is it played? Is it an FPS?

Old Post 07-26-01 22:14 #
spank is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
elbryan42

It's third person. Not BAD third person like most games. Think of a good cameras like Alice. It's easy to play anyways. It actually feels like a fps and also being 3rd person at the same time. Don't write it off until you try it.

Old Post 07-26-01 22:17 #
elbryan42 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Lüt
Administrator

As long as it's not as impossible to maneuver as Heretic 2.

Old Post 07-26-01 22:19 #
Lüt is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
spank
I'm afraid of Americans

Heretic 2 was impossible to maneuver?

Old Post 07-26-01 23:50 #
spank is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Lüt
Administrator

The camera was horrible, only 2nd worst to actually controlling Corvus. NO I DO NOT WANT YOU TO SOMMERSAULT OFF A LEDGE TO YOUR DEATH WHEN I TAP THE DOWN ARROW, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I don't think there's a game to rival it for most non-controllable character ever.

Old Post 07-26-01 23:56 #
Lüt is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
elbryan42

True, the weapons & enemies sucked. But it's nice eye candy. The 3rd person control was decent. The 3rd person in Max Payne is much better.

Old Post 07-27-01 08:33 #
RTC_Marine

apparently i heard you can do stuff like the neo in the matrix, like jumping across the floor and firing at the same time, i heard it really kicks serious ass.

Old Post 07-27-01 09:40 #
RTC_Marine is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Speshul Eddy
Green Marine

I have to admit I'm curious about the game, although one thing that made me wonder was that in all the screenshots I've seen, Max has an expression on his face which suggests that he's trying to pass a turd the size of a small dog. =P

Of course, you probably just see the back of his head most of the time, so I guess it's not such a big deal.

Old Post 07-27-01 11:02 #
Speshul Eddy is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
maga
look deep into my eye

I have to admit I'm curious about the game, although one thing that made me wonder was that in all the screenshots I've seen, Max has an expression on his face which suggests that he's trying to pass a turd the size of a small dog. =P

ROFLMAO !

Old Post 07-27-01 12:01 #
maga is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
RTC_Marine

GOD DAMNIT, THATS THE FUNNIEST THING I'VE HEARD ALL WEEK!

Old Post 07-27-01 13:42 #
RTC_Marine is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

Really? I've been hearing that same old joke since the first E3 video. I guess you don't check new's comments that much :)

Old Post 07-28-01 02:46 #
Zaldron is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
ZZ_TOPPER_X
Old Post 07-28-01 02:53
This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click [here]
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

Shit, I missed the killing party. Got the wrong address, I'll never trust in Lüt again.

Old Post 07-28-01 02:57 #
Zaldron is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Speshul Eddy
Green Marine

Actually, I don't think I've heard that joke, but I admit it's the first thought that would come to mind in most cases. I haven't paid much attention to the press surrounding that game, so all I've heard are crazed ramblings about how awsome and wonderous and shiny it's supposed to be...never played it though.

But still, I have to wonder if Max Payne (is that actually the poor bastard's name?) walks around in public with that look/texture on his face.

Old Post 07-28-01 05:16 #
Speshul Eddy is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

If I remember correctly...one of the artists explained he makes that face ONLY when firing. :)

Old Post 07-28-01 05:20 #
Speshul Eddy
Green Marine

Well that's a relief. I mean when you look at the mad texture detail in that game, it would be real weird for the main character not to have at least two face textures.

On the other hand, you probably spend the majority of the game firing various guns anyway. ^^

After reading the review, I am starting to consider picking that game up, even though I promised myself I wouldn't get any more shooters until RTCW...and Doom, of course. =P

Old Post 07-29-01 06:04 #
AirRaid
Graphics Zealot

^^BUMP^^

No, seriously, I just got Max Payne today, and that game does seriously kick ass! I usually detest third person games, but I can actually play Max Payne with no problems. The Bullet-Time thing is awesome. I was actually surprised at how well it ran On my PC, being the latest game out and all. Oh, I think Max does only have one facial expression. To me, it looks like he's always smirking.
Apart from that, the level of detail is amazing.
I especially like one part so far (I have only just got onto Part 2) - The 'dream' section, where the corridors strech out in front of you, loos really cool.

Old Post 08-10-01 02:53 #
AirRaid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Naked Snake
HAHA I AM A FAG AND I CAN'T CHANGE THIS TITLE ANYMORE

If its as good as you guys say it is looks like im gonna have to go buy a whole new computer.

Old Post 08-10-01 03:32 #
Naked Snake is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

Dude, Internet collapsed thanks to that friggin video. I think everyone has it.

Old Post 08-10-01 04:24 #
Naked Snake
HAHA I AM A FAG AND I CAN'T CHANGE THIS TITLE ANYMORE

Remedy made MP.3dRealms just distributed it.

Old Post 08-10-01 04:26 #
Naked Snake is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
deadnail
i define my reality through misery

Max Payne is fucking awesome. It requires at least 96 megs of ram and a Voodoo 3 bare minimum. Voodoo 2's will play it but they're totally unsupported so you'll probably get a lot of weird graphics errors.

I played through the whole game in one night.

It's shorter than SOF but has 10x the action crammed in there, plus a pretty good storyline. It has blowjobs and everything.

VERY good game... up there with Undying and Half-Life. VERY damn good game.

Old Post 08-10-01 05:28 #
deadnail is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
elbryan42

I stopped playing it for a while, unfortunately. Damn school. I'm about 1/2 way through. Fucked up storyline to say the least. Not for the squeamish, that's for sure.

And something to add - if you have a videocard with less than 32 megs, you're gonna have trouble playing it. My friend got it and was almost weeping when he realized he couldn't play it. Luckily, I have a Geforce 2 MX, so mine works silky smooth. Even on my 300 Mhz processor. Sigh... it's all videocards nowadays. I cringe at what Doom 3 will look like on mine with the insane Geforce 3 minimum requirements...

Old Post 08-10-01 08:17 #
AirRaid
Graphics Zealot

I hear ya there Elbryan! I have a GF2MX as well, but I'm also lucky enough to have a 800Mhz CPU and 256 megs of ram to go with it.... :P

Old Post 08-11-01 03:10 #
AirRaid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote