Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hell_Baroness

About sound for DOOM/DOOM2

Ok, I just got Ultimate Doom and Doom 2, And I installed them in my computer (WINDOWS XP, 256 mb RAM, 2.0 GZ, Pentium 4), but I have problems configurating the sound. See, when I select the Sound blaster option, and then launch Doom (any of both), it runs normally, and it sounds as the real thing, but then when I start a new game, and start walking, the animation slows down gradually until I lose my patience and leave the game. When I change the sound fx configuration for other devices, and then I try to launch Doom, it simply doesn't run, and the computer freezes!

I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but geez, how many more times will this question be asked before people finally figure out about the faq and source ports?

Many times, I expect. I think people can be forgiven for failing to realize that MS has abandoned support for MS-DOS to such a degree.

Regarding ports, whichever one you decide to prefer, it is worth (also) having a copy of PrBoom handy, since it is closest to the original game, and enables you to watch all those cool compet-n demos.

Skelethal said:

configurating

hmm, I like that word. Good job!

yes, as was said, use a souce port. There have been many wars on the best source port but of course no one ever wins. You can find out which ports stand higher than the rest, in this thread. and this one. Even, this one!

Epyo said:

hmm, I like that word. Good job!

English not my NATIVE language! Not easy to talk right!!!
*sigh* I think I'll stick only to the art section from now

BBG said:

This question is answered in the forum's FAQ.

http://www.doomworld.com/vbmisc/faq.html#cdq10

That answers your question and supplies you with some nice source ports to use.

Only problem with that is, when your doing speed runs you have to make a doom2.exe 1.9 playable demo. I have yet to find a source port that will allow you to record a demo and play it back with doom2.exe 1.9

Imp: Prboom2.2.2 and 2.2.3 will allow 1.9 compatibility.
only problem with that is that the sites that only allow 1.9 demos will not except Prboom compatibility demos(for good reason).
just record with whatever you wish to.

Opulent said:

Imp: Prboom2.2.2 and 2.2.3 will allow 1.9 compatibility.
only problem with that is that the sites that only allow 1.9 demos will not except Prboom compatibility demos(for good reason).
just record with whatever you wish to.

Hmm... With your demo site, can you take a wad and just make a demo for it, and send it to you?
I love making demos :)

The DSDA allows any _pwad_ DOOM demo... as long as it is replayable.
the Compet-N only allows doom(2).exe demos.