Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Janderson

All-Out Civil War

netnomad312 said:

Well, we both have our opinions. :-P

I wasn't intending that as a personal jab. Just a general statment.

Ralphis said:

Is it me or are modern games lacking infighting?

How modern is modern? I believe Blood had it.

Job said:
How modern is modern? I believe Blood had it.

If my memory serves me (which is questionable these days), there was no infighting in Blood. Character's could damage each other, and in Blood 2 it could be scripted so that different enemies would attack each other, but if a cultist shot something it's not like it would turn around and attack the cultist, ya know?

Come to think of it... beyond any scripted actions, I can't think of any games past the Doom era that had monster in-fighting. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

EllipsusD said:

Come to think of it... beyond any scripted actions, I can't think of any games past the Doom era that had monster in-fighting. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Half-Life, though it was selectively implemented (having said that, it is a bit selective in Doom as well). Soldiers and aliens would fight one another, and some of the less intelligent aliens would fight each other (e.g. bullsquid and head-crabs), sometimes with very little provocation needed. This was quite important in some of the battles.

But certainly, infighting is generally much less of a factor in newer games.

I have never played them, but I'm told that there is infighting in some of the real-time strategy games - if you are in charge of a badly-organized/"evil" army, then internal fights tend to break out if they are left idle for a while.

I presume Doom3 will have in-fighting, anybody know for sure? I've resisted looking at leaked demo.

Quake does. I really haven't noticed, but Quake 2 might have it also.

Job said:

Infighting can be a very useful tool in wads. You can keep the ammo tight so that the player is coerced, forced basically, to strategize what he/she intends to kill off on their own and which demons shall be done away with using infighting. IMO, that makes for a more exciting, interesting game.

I think infighting is a useful tool no matter how plentiful ammo is; it's really one of the defining characteristics of DOOM, that the monsters are animalistic enough to get into massive fights with each other, and that you can use it as a strategic tool. And it's just damn fun to watch - especially in wads like Hell Revealed, where the infighting can get so chaotic you can just sit back with your jaw dropped to the floor while half a dozen different kinds of monsters start tearing the hell out of each other :)

EllipsusD said:

If my memory serves me (which is questionable these days), there was no infighting in Blood.

Well, I do recall the axe zombies fighting each other as well as the fat zombies fighting the axe zombies too.

Job said:
Well, I do recall the axe zombies fighting each other as well as the fat zombies fighting the axe zombies too.

You're probably right. I'll have to go and check that out.