Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lüt

Level-by-level analysis of Doom

ZarcyB said:

But the pistol is rubbish!

not at all! I think it is in 2002ADO you have to use it for a long time and I absolutely loved it!

deathz0r said:

No way, the BFG is more useless than the pistol.

I find it pretty useful in a crowded room! ;)

Lüt said:

Compromise on E1M3?

Hmm, if it is in a secret, then I'll agree with that decision, but I don't really think a shotgun is suited for E1M3.

deathz0r said:

Hmm, if it is in a secret, then I'll agree with that decision, but I don't really think a shotgun is suited for E1M3.

hmm. How about placing it at the very end of E1M3 then?

Shaviro said:

I find it pretty useful in a crowded room! ;)

How? I shoot it and it never hits anyone at all.

deathz0r said:

Care to elaborate?

Shaviro said:

hmm. How about placing it at the very end of E1M3 then?

Hey, that's a pretty good idea! Inside or outside the exit room though?

ZarcyB said:

Care to elaborate?

Well, I've finished E1M3 with only using a pistol and the chainsaw. I don't think it would be that hard. I mean, I did do it on I'm Too Young To Die.

deathz0r said:

Agreed.

On the subject of items though, the rotation of the green armor pedestal is both alluring and bewitching at the same time. The motion is very trancelike and provides a strong distration from actually picking up the armor, making it quite a dangerous item to go after.

deathz0r said:

Hey, that's a pretty good idea! Inside or outside the exit room though?

Outside for sure!

Lüt said:

Agreed.

On the subject of items though, the rotation of the green armor pedestal is both alluring and bewitching at the same time. The motion is very trancelike and provides a strong distration from actually picking up the armor, making it quite a dangerous item to go after.

I love the rotating pedestral! Made me forget about the shotgun guys! :)

Lüt said:

Agreed.

It blinded me for a few minutes when I first saw it while I was playing E1M2 at 3:15am.

Getting back to E1M1 though, wouldn't you think that it's the perfect setup for something really bad to happen? Like I dunno, an evil invasion or something?

deathz0r said:

Getting back to E1M1 though, wouldn't you think that it's the perfect setup for something really bad to happen? Like I dunno, an evil invasion or something?

Yeah! I think the story is a great introduction too! You start out JUST after the story! :)

Shaviro said:

Yeah! I think the story is a great introduction too! You start out JUST after the story! :)

I was too lazy to read the README when I first played it. Go figure.

Shaviro said:

Yeah really, the synchronization between the story in the manual and the actual start of the game is dumbfoundingly stupendous.

Lüt said:

Yeah really, the synchronization between the story in the manual and the actual start of the game is dumbfoundingly stupendous.

and then people say the game has no story! bah them!

Shaviro said:

I love the rotating pedestral! Made me forget about the shotgun guys! :)

Yeah same here. It's like 'phew, I managed to take my eyes away from that rotating texture of death', then BANG, hit in the back by a shotgunner, totally unexpectedly.

Lüt said:

Come to think of it, it even hints at the enemies to come! Is that staggering or what?

Shaviro said:

and then people say the game has no story! bah them!

What do you mean it had no story? The maps themselves tell a story of survival.

SlayeR said:

Yeah same here. It's like 'phew, I managed to take my eyes away from that rotating texture of death', then BANG, hit in the back by a shotgunner, totally unexpectedly.

Same thing with the big computer room a little later in the game!

deathz0r said:

Don't ask me, ask the morons who claim Doom is a storyless game!

deathz0r said:

And the player is the author! Quite a stupendous concept if you ask me.

Lüt said:

Yeah, it's like those Choose your own Adventure books.

Lüt said:

What does stupendous mean?
anyways. The fact that the player character remains nameless means great imersion in my book!

I also think the fact that the first computer room is built like a smileyface is both humorous and formidable at the same time.

Shaviro said:

What does stupendous mean?
anyways. The fact that the player character remains nameless means great imersion in my book!

Now you can name him, thanks to the powers of source ports!

Lüt said:

I also think the fact that the first computer room is built like a smileyface is both humorous and formidable at the same time.

If you look at it hard enough, it looks somewhat like a "=]".

Lüt said:

hahaha never thought of that before! How incredibly awesome! :D

Lüt said:

I must apologize, I'm getting ahead of myself... what does everybody think of the door leading to this room?

Personally, I don't think they could have chosen a better way to introduce such doors.