Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lüt

Level-by-level analysis of Doom

Lüt said:

I must apologize, I'm getting ahead of myself... what does everybody think of the door leading to this room?

It used to scare me when I first played that level. I was too affraid to get killed by whatever I imagined would be behind that door.

Lüt said:

I must apologize, I'm getting ahead of myself... what does everybody think of the door leading to this room?

It's really really ugly! We forgot to discuss the pillars in the armour room, too!

Shaviro said:

It's really really ugly! We forgot to discuss the pillars in the armour room, too!

I used to think that blue flat texture that was in the inside the perimeter was water!

deathz0r said:

It used to scare me when I first played that level. I was too affraid to get killed by whatever I imagined would be behind that door.

man! That dead marine has such a great effect on you!

deathz0r said:

Really, I didn't have that problem. I was so confused by the first door that I didn't even try to open that door until a few days later because I didn't know it was possible to open doors. I was trying to get out the windows! Silly me.

Lüt said:

Really, I didn't have that problem. I was so confused by the first door that I didn't even try to open that door until a few days later because I didn't know it was possible to open doors. I was trying to get out the windows! Silly me.

rofl! I don't think I had that problem! :P

Shaviro said:

man! That dead marine has such a great effect on you!

It seriously did, I was almost 7 years old at the time. I'd be like "oh my god, he's dead... i wonder if i can shoot him".

deathz0r said:

It seriously did, I was almost 7 years old at the time.

I was 8 at the time.

Shaviro said:

The pillars are, quite simply, a work of art belonging in the Smithsonian. Such intricate detail has never been seen on a pillar to this day. This certainly blows away ancient Greek and Roman architecture. Doric and Ionic pillars, step aside!

Lüt said:

The pillars are, quite simply, a work of art belonging in the Smithsonian. Such intricate detail has never been seen on a pillar to this day. This certainly blows away ancient Greek and Roman architecture.

lol. Even though I know you are exaggerating, the pillars were actually pretty cool for the time!

Lüt said:

The pillars are, quite simply, a work of art belonging in the Smithsonian. Such intricate detail has never been seen on a pillar to this day. This certainly blows away ancient Greek and Roman architecture. Doric and Ionic pillars, step aside!

I just love the STAR* texture series, and those pillars brilliantly show off good use of them.

EDIT: Oh crap, I thought you were talking about the ones in the first room.

Shaviro said:

lol. Even though I know you are exaggerating, the pillars were actually pretty cool for the time!

Yeah, I used to run into them whenever I was running backwards.

Shaviro said:

OK then Einstein, answer me this: what are the implications of the BROWNGRN wall at the bottom of the first staircase being drawn at a 69° angle?

Shaviro said:

Neither did I, until I though I was gonna die when I saw those first troopers...

deathz0r said:

I just love the STAR* texture series, and those pillars brilliantly show off good use of them.

The tekwall is perfect for the pillars!

deathz0r said:

Agreed, the contrast between the pillars and the STAR* walls provides a wonderful antithesis of design dissimilarity not often seen in many modern FPS games these days.

Lüt said:

OK then Einstein, answer me this: what are the implications of the BROWNGRN wall at the bottom of the first staircase being drawn at a 69° angle?

uhmm... here, have a lollypop!

Lüt said:

Agreed, the contrast between the pillars and the STAR* walls provides a wonderful antithesis of dissimilarity not often seen in many modern FPS games these days.

well modern FPS games = gray WW2 stories.

Lüt said:

Agreed, the contrast between the pillars and the STAR* walls provides a wonderful antithesis of design dissimilarity not often seen in many modern FPS games these days.

I think E1M1 should of been hell-themed. Think about it, you can't go through that door with the lights, and you can't jump through the windows in the first room and the green armour room!

Shaviro said:

uhmm... here, have a lollypop!

Actually, it was a trick question: the wall is drawn at a -69° angle, not a 69° angle.

deathz0r said:

I think E1M1 should of been hell-themed. Think about it, you can't go through that door with the lights, and you can't jump through the windows in the first room and the green armour room!

perhaps you're right, but I think that applies to most of Doom I/II.

Shaviro said:

Same with what was released before Doom. Doom is the loophole in this stream.

Lüt said:

Actually, it was a trick question: the wall is drawn at a -69° angle, not a 69° angle.

ah, that explains why I was not able to answer! now let's never speak of it again!

deathz0r said:

If you're implying that Satanic forces are necessary to prevent windows from being jumped through, I would have to counter that implication by pointing out that the latest and greatest forcefield technology of the time could certainly accomplish the same effect.

Lüt said:

Yeah, the fact that they were made out of both sprites and raised floors/lowered ceilings just worked perfectly. And the button secretly slipped in on the side...

Shaviro said:

perhaps you're right, but I think that applies to most of Doom I/II.

Yeah, you have a good point there.

deathz0r said:

Same with what was released before Doom. Doom is the loophole in this stream.

And it seems Doom3 will do the same!

Shaviro said:

Do remember that gray is the new yellow!

SlayeR said:

Yeah, the fact that they were made out of both sprites and raised floors/lowered ceilings just worked perfectly. And the button secretly slipped in on the side...

I couldn't figure out what it did!

Lüt said:

If you're implying that Satanic forces are necessary to prevent windows from being jumped through, I would have to counter that implication by pointing out that the latest and greatest forcefield technology of the time could certainly accomplish the same effect.

Then how did the Satanic forces get in the military base then? Did they knock politely on the front door?