Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Bobby Prince is a Filthy Thief

Fredrik said:

Fine, then Romero and Bobby Prince are both guilty for this.

heh. 'guilty'

Like anybody cares :P

Fredrik said:

Try e-mail, ICQ, or why not his own forums.

Yeah, and he's not 'too good' to have a conversation with fans.

Don't know how to quote here... but a lot of you are barking up the wrong tree... :)

1. Bobby isn't to blame for the 'inspired music'. Romero asked him to do nothing but cover music and handed him Pantera, AiC, Black Sabbath and AC/DC cd's. (No metallica)

This is 100% accurate. BP was asked to emulate metal music, BP admitted to this in an interview a long time ago. I'm almost certain I have it saved. It might even be somewhere on John Romero's web page. BP even said that a lot of his pieces were SUPPOSED to be recognized as Metallica, Pantera, etc.

Due to the limitations of the GM instrument set, he augmented many of the pieces melodically, hence the unique style of the Doom music soundtrack. What it may lack in some areas of originality, it makes up for in interpretative genious.

Good lord. Have you listened to some of MY tunes?
Can you name the influences there that affected me? Special prize if you correctly name 3 bands.

2. I don't think you can call any of the songs ripoffs. (except perhaps map23) Bobby just took the best parts of the metal songs and based his song off of that.

Agreed. They aren't ripoffs. There are many borrowed MOTIFS, but not ripoffs. Espcecially since he made no effort to hide the fact of the source material.

3. IMO, Bobby's versions of the songs are much better than the original versions.

Well, they are better than a direct MIDI implementation of Metallica music. :) They "fit" better as they are easier to listen to repeated over and over again.

What a lot of you are missing is the state of id Software at the time Doom was released. They were all very impressionable people, like many of us are, and they wanted their product to be popular. They had the sense to know they couldn't license the real metal music, and technologically-speaking, they had General MIDI to work with. BP is a noted gaming composer that has a LOT of skill working with General MIDI instrument set (Klem is a General MIDI GOD and has a natural "knack" of utilizing the limitations into aural masterpieces - all hail Mark Klem!! ROFL).

They basically said, Bobby, do metal music and here are the bands we all listen to and dig. Do the best you can without it being obvious. Oh, and you have 3 months.

Sure, sure. ;)
Try to use color and it doesn't work, but I'm too stupid to quote. ;)
Thanks, man.

Tolwyn said:

Can you name the influences there that affected me? Special prize if you correctly name 3 bands.

I've noticed some strong industrial influnces, including NIN, Skinny Puppy and Faith No More. I believe there may also be a few Guns 'n' Roses stylings in your stuff, but not being a particularly huge fan of the band (the only song of theirs I can even remember ATM is Sweet Child of Mine ;)) I could well be wrong.

Nope. ;)

I only did one blatant rip of NIN; and that was the first week I ever bought any of his albums (can anyone tell me the name of the wad and the map?). Don't get me wrong, I have great respect for Trent R. and NIN, I'm just not a big fan.

As far as your other guesses, unless by sheer accident on my part and coincidence of notes flowing together, you're not correct.

Tolwyn said:

I dare you to try that with my music. :D

Tolwyn said:

Nope. ;)

I only did one blatant rip of NIN; and that was the first week I ever bought any of his albums (can anyone tell me the name of the wad and the map?). Don't get me wrong, I have great respect for Trent R. and NIN, I'm just not a big fan.

As far as your other guesses, unless by sheer accident on my part and coincidence of notes flowing together, you're not correct.

The map is Memento Mori 2 map16 also known as "The Nephilim".

The song is titled "Outstretch of Sin".

The NIN songs it rips mercilessly are: "That's What I Get", "Head Like a Hole" and (probably) "Sin" (given the title) from the first NIN album "Pretty Hate Machine".

ding! ding! ding! ding!

Yup. I had just picked up the album and listened to it and thought man, this IS great doom-esque music. No wonder the guys at id® like this so much.

That night I had to get a song done, and I was RUINED from listening to that damn album. Nothing that came from my fingers was original, so I just stopped fighting it and used that bass line as a foundation for a song.

I don't know if I'd say "mercilessly." There's a lot of motifs borrowed, but many parts of map16 in mm2mus.wad are indeed original.

Rubilacxe said:

I recently discovered the Alice in Chains covers

Uh, had you been playing with the music off before then or something? heh

Tolwyn said:

Ubik!!
That's killer stuff, man!

Favorites, comments, etc?

Shaviro said:

Map23: The song which comes closest to a ripoff. Bobby's version is just 100 times better, though ;) (no singing)

I disagree. The Alice in Chains version is a Hell of a lot better. But Julian's Remake of d_ampie brings new depth to the old Doom song. Pretty much puts it on par with the AiC song. :D

<re: the title of the thread>

A most irresponsible statement, worthy of a tabloid. What's next, nailing Justin Fisher for "stealing" graphics from Fox for his Aliens-TC?

Never_Again said:

A most irresponsible statement, worthy of a tabloid. What's next, nailing Justin Fisher for "stealing" graphics from Fox for his Aliens-TC?

I think its supposed to be sarcastic.

Never_Again said:

Then it would appear that a lot of ppl didn't get it.

Not my fault if people have no sense of humor.

Never_Again said:

Then it would appear that a lot of ppl didn't get it.

Um, from reading the replies, I think pretty much everyone got it. No one is ripping Bobby Prince here, we're just looking at all the stuff that sounds similar and comparing it really.

Oh good grief. Fish on. Got me hook, line, and sinker. ;)

Not my fault if people have no sense of humor.

I was stickin' up for da man.

I'm getting too old for this. :) Hahahaha.

Just mentally add a winkie-smiley at the end of every single post made in these forums, and it will all suddenly make sense.

Tolwyn said:

Oh good grief. Fish on. Got me hook, line, and sinker. ;)
I was stickin' up for da man.
I'm getting too old for this. :) Hahahaha.

(in the voice of the old man from the Beavis & Butthead drive-through episode):

"Damn kids ...."