Sarge
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Hexen 2...

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 01:29. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Liam
the Bard formerly known as the Bard

Just bought hexen 2 off ebay for 11 bux (w00t!) but I have a problem. If I change my video mode to a fullscreen resolution over 320 X 200 then the screen goes completely black and doesn't respond to any keys, escape, Ctrl+Alt+Del, or such, and I have to reset. What's up? Thanx.

Old Post 08-10-01 22:52 #
Liam is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

Don't you have enough stuff to run GLHexen instead of that?!?

Old Post 08-10-01 23:01 #
Zaldron is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
KING ELVIS
This post is probably about my frontend

Back screen is better than a blue screen :)

Old Post 08-10-01 23:04 #
KING ELVIS is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Liam

I just got the drivers I needed. Will it work if I run GLHexen?

Old Post 08-10-01 23:04 #
Liam is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

Do you have a 3D card at least?

Old Post 08-10-01 23:09 #
Zaldron is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Liam

Dammit, I stil can't run GLhexen. I unzipped the drivers into the Hexen2 directory and i get three error boxes...

the 1st has no text, just "error" and an OK button.

the 2cd says "grSstSelect: Non-existent SST

the 3rd says wglCreateContect failed.

Help me...

Old Post 08-10-01 23:10 #
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

Dunno what's that. Never saw those errors...can you at least answer my question?

Old Post 08-10-01 23:11 #
Liam

Do you have a 3D card at least?

Does an Nvidia TNT2 M64 4 X AGP count?

I can run just about everything else with GL, so I'd say yes...

Old Post 08-10-01 23:11 #
elbryan42
Your Friendly Neighborhood Cacodemon

Isn't there a patch that fixes that?

Old Post 08-10-01 23:12 #
elbryan42 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Liam

Isn't there a patch that fixes that?

Fixes what?

Old Post 08-10-01 23:14 #
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

Fuck, dunno...how about a Glide wrapper?

Old Post 08-10-01 23:15 #
Lüt
Administrator

Heh, nope. It only runs with 3DFX cards - this is before 3D acceleration was good. I've had a TNT2 for over a year now, and haven't been able to run GLHexen2 or GLQuake for over a year now (about the only "modern" games I ever play). The hardware just doesn't support it, and you have no idea how many emails I've sent asking and demanding a patch that lets Hexen2 run on Direct3D-accelerated cards as well as OpenGL, they just won't do it. I tried Hexen2 in software mode about 6 months ago, couldn't stand it. Half the objects didn't come close to texturing properly. Oh it was horrible. I have to find a cheap Voodoo5 5500 somewhere so I can run these games again.

Old Post 08-11-01 06:35 #
Lüt is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Liam

Heh, nope. It only runs with 3DFX cards - this is before 3D acceleration was good. I've had a TNT2 for over a year now, and haven't been able to run GLHexen2 or GLQuake for over a year now (about the only "modern" games I ever play). The hardware just doesn't support it, and you have no idea how many emails I've sent asking and demanding a patch that lets Hexen2 run on Direct3D-accelerated cards as well as OpenGL, they just won't do it.

Well, at least I know I can stop trying. Anyway, that leaves my first question unanswered... how can I set to higher resolutions in normal hexen 2? Like I said, when I try the screen just goes black and I have to reset.

Old Post 08-11-01 16:12 #
Lüt
Administrator

Anyway, that leaves my first question unanswered... how can I set to higher resolutions in normal hexen 2? Like I said, when I try the screen just goes black and I have to reset.
That's one I've never heard of. I know there is a patch available, so make sure you download that. I'm not sure that will fix it since I don't remember that being an issue for anybody when the patch was released, but try it. Barring that, sounds like your videocard is confused.

Old Post 08-11-01 16:18 #
Lüt is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Liam

Anyway, that leaves my first question unanswered... how can I set to higher resolutions in normal hexen 2? Like I said, when I try the screen just goes black and I have to reset.
I know there is a patch available, so make sure you download that. I'm not sure that will fix it since I don't remember that being an issue for anybody when the patch was released, but try it. Barring that, sounds like your videocard is confused.

I heard about the patch. Where can I d/l it?

Old Post 08-11-01 16:21 #
Liam

Nevermind. Found it.

Old Post 08-11-01 16:33 #
Jon
Freedoom Bloke

yeah hexen2 was pre-quake 2... I remember playing it and seeing the faked coloured lighting and 'light rays' and thinking 'joy'.

Old Post 08-11-01 17:49 #
Jon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
pilottobombadier
Stained Class King

I love it in GL myself...but I'm running a Voodoo 2...I think I'd better shut up now...But in all seriousness, Hexen shouldn't look to bad out of GL, either...I found quake looked awesome at 640 x 480 with winquake. But I guess it's personal preference...especially since I'd prefer to NOT have quake on my hard drive, and therefore I don't...I hate that gamt...but Hexen II rocks.

Old Post 08-11-01 18:28 #
pilottobombadier is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lüt
Administrator

especially since I'd prefer to NOT have quake on my hard drive, and therefore I don't...I hate that game
I did enjoy Quake a lot when it first came out, I still think it had some pretty cool stuff in it. The reason I still have it installed and play it is because of Mission Pack #1. I hate to say it but those 3 hubs kick everything for Doom/Doom2's ass.

Old Post 08-11-01 18:50 #
maga
look deep into my eye

BARRATUS SMASH ! ... oops, sorry, wrong game...

Old Post 08-11-01 19:53 #
maga is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

That's the mission pack made by Ritual, right?

Old Post 08-11-01 22:03 #
pilottobombadier
Stained Class King

yeah, that's why it's so good. Ritual kicks ass bigtime

Old Post 08-11-01 22:47 #
pilottobombadier is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Liam

The v1.11 patch fixed my resolution problem. I just need a new video card now.

Old Post 08-12-01 02:27 #
Lüt
Administrator

That's the mission pack made by Ritual, right?
Uhm.... neither are made by Ritual. Mission Pack #1 only has ID and Activision logos all over it, says copyright ID software. In the small print, it says "Developed by Hipnotic Interactive", so I guess it's them. Quake Mission Pack #2 was shit, all those cheap attempts at Egyptian settings, hell the entire first episode was worse than 99% of the maps you find in CDROM.COM for Doom. The 2nd episode was somewhat touched up but still amateur as hell compared even to the original Quake, let alone Mission Pack #1. It says on the bottom of Mission Pack #2 "Developed by Rogue Entertainment, Inc." so I know never to buy anything with "Rogue" on it again.

Old Post 08-12-01 07:46 #
The Unknown
Mini-Member

Stupid assholes i have a GF2 MX and i can make Hexen2 run really smooth (take away Opengl32.dll in Hexen2 folder)but i have only 640x480 and can't change the resulotion

Old Post 08-12-01 08:22 #
The Unknown is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

Stupid assholes i have a GF2 MX

Jeez, thanks for that one. You're pretty fucked up too :P

Old Post 08-12-01 09:07 #