Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

bad review

who gave doom a bad review at the time of its release? anyone?
well i am interested and need a bit of a laught so if you know any, provide links

Being THE ultimate fps game of its time, as well as being released in a time when FPS games were more distinctive (a young genre, with years of endless clones to follow, along with many new concepts being explored), it's hard to imagine such a unique and groundbreaking experience getting a bad review. The only possibilities I can see are by those put off by the blood/gore (gasp!) and depictions of hell (fictional as it may be, but religion is silly and superstitous like that) or the paranoid parents worried about the warping effects video games supposedly have on teenagers without a firm grasp of reality (also silly, to a degree... you can never rule out the possibility with humans). Thus ends the parentheses parade.

you are stupid

I was mostly referring to a certain one... [edit] sorry I should have been more specific by saying "one" instead of "some"[/edit] call me what you want, but I think any wad that can't be creative and must resort to stealing other people's work is a "bad" wad.

or perhaps was I referred as being stupid because I did just not understand the original post?

EarthQuake said:

or perhaps was I referred as being stupid because I did just not understand the original post?

Indeed, but don't take it too hard, you just jumped the gun a little. The question asked if doom itself was given a bad review at the time of its release (nearly 10 years ago), not referring to doom wads released recently or in the past.

God damn... i just realized what a stupid thing i said....
I perceived:

who gave doom a bad review at the time of its release?

as

who gave a doom wad a bad review at the time of its release

Truly sorry :(
Sometime I do not read the posts correctly and I say stupid shit, so I apologize. It's amazing how much a simple misunderstanding can skew what I intended to say...

sniperfrommars1 said:

thats one of the worst post ive seen. Off to hell with it just for the answer, and give me an evil title while yer at it :.

1. that's , posts , I've , whilst , your , it.

2. No. Ask again and die.

pritch said:

1. that's , posts , I've , whilst , your , it.

2. No. Ask again and die.

1. you're

2. wheeeeeee

A Canadian free newspaper Computer Paper published a negative editorial days before DOOM's release. Titled "A Parent's Nightmare Before Christmas", the article blasted the game's gore and violence and warned parents of potential danger the game presented to their kids. The basis for the review was apparently the two level beta press release version.

Of course, with circulation of 60,000 copies the article's effect was localized to British Columbia and was negligible in the ecstatic uproar that followed the actual DOOM release (Dec.10 1993).

-----------
Please keep the ratio of info/noise reasonable, folks. Some of us have 7 day work weeks and not enough time to scroll through pages of bs to find something of interest.

Postal 2 recieved a bad, ok horrible, review from GMR. however this is based on political backing.
ironicly at the time of the review, and published in the same mag, was the fact that postal 2 was the highest selling game. and remained in the top five for a number of months.
though the game was by no means a break thru, except to censors. It was still decent and fun to play. few bugs and good graphics i would have given it an 84%. the game is nothing more than 100% satire. pokeing fun at a number of things in america.

i give doom 100%.

I've still got the issues of PC Gamer UK and PC Zone where they reviewed Doom 2. I'm not so sure about Doom 1 (the magazines might not even have existed then! ;) ), though I'm pretty sure I've got the PC Format that reviewed it... heck I've still got the PC Format that reviewed Wolfenstein 3D!

Ct_red_pants said:

Well, I Could bring up all those Christian sites but that’s getting a bit old.

FYI there was no WWW in 1993, Mr. Queen.

I was considering responding to that post but it was just too much and any response would have just been... anything I could have said in response would have paled in comparison to that post.

How interesting.
Anyone of you Google generation care to produce a WWW DOOM review from 1993? =) You may rely on what W3 sez, and I on my memory. Back in '93 it was newsgroups, IRC and BBSs. I didn't even hear of the acronym until about '95.