Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bashe

Doom Guy Screams

What decides which scream the doom guy will make when he dies?
He has two "DSPLDETH" and "DSPDIEHI"
What decides which one will be used?

Give ranges of how much precent damage he has to take for:
DSPLDETH
DSPDIEHI
DSSLOP (getting gibbed)

Dunno offhand. Get hit by a cyberdemon's rocket at 10% health and you're guaranteed to get a diehi. Get telefragged and you get a slop.

I think its basically the normal one if you die, and the loud one (which always makes me jump) if you get gibbed, basically

deathbringer said:

I think its basically the normal one if you die, and the loud one (which always makes me jump) if you get gibbed, basically

No, if you get gibbed, you don't scream at all. In fact, you don't have vocal chords after being turned inside out :)

You cannot be gibbed by anything other than a rocket launcher, bfg, or a telefrag (although I have heard cases otherwise, with no proof of course). It all depends on how much life you have left, how much damage you took on your last breath, and the weapon that killed you. I think only a person with access to the engine can tell you exact values.

The louder scream only happens when you lose more health than you have. It commonly only happens when you have little health and you get pummeled by a direct rocket blast.

Because of the D&D-like damage system in Doom, I believe there is a tiny chance you can be gibbed by ANY projectile. The same rules apply to the player as to, say, the zombies. Note that they often get gibbed by plasma. I've even seen them gibbed by cacodemon bites before. Anyway, gibbing is not confined to any specific attack, but because players' bullets are so weak it doesn't often happen, even if a bunch of them hit simultaneously (because only the ones that get to do damage have a chance to actually hit).

void A_PlayerScream(mobj_t *mo)
{
   int sound = sfx_pldeth;  // Default death sound.
   if(gamemode != shareware && mo->health < -50) // killough 12/98
      sound = sfx_pdiehi;   // IF THE PLAYER DIES LESS THAN -50% WITHOUT GIBBING

S_StartSound(mo, sound);
}
Die with -50 or more health, DSPLDETH scream.
Die with between -50 and -100, DSPDIEHI plays.
Die with -100 or less and you've been gibbed, so a different codepointer (XScream) gets called that plays the DSSLOP sound.

Notice that the shareware IWAD doesn't have DSPDIEHI in it.

BTW, gibbing has nothing to do with HOW you die, only how much damage you took dying. If ANY thing's health is less than or equal to the negation of its spawnhealth value when it dies, it will gib. That means that the player gibs at -100 HP. A cyberdemon would gib at -4000 HP (if it had a gib frame, and you could inflict that much damage).

Yeah, basically it isnt the amount of damage you take. When your health reaches zero, you will die. But if you are injured in this way, you will not go directly to zero health. You will actually go below zero health most of the time (eg. if you have 10 health and take 15 damage you will end up at -5%). If you die going below -50% you get the die hi sound, otherwise the normal death sound.

Ultraviolet said:

Because of the D&D-like damage system in Doom, I believe there is a tiny chance you can be gibbed by ANY projectile

Unless one makes a DEH which strengthens the the rockets and BFG. I've done this, and the gib/diehigh sound is heard more often

Quasar said:

A cyberdemon would gib at -4000 HP (if it had a gib frame, and you could inflict that much damage).

I would pay to see that. :D

speaking of something else that doesn't happen very often, can anyone else get the doom guys surprised face? I've only ever gotten it by turning god on at the same time I'm getting damaged.

Mr. Chris said:

Unless one makes a DEH which strengthens the the rockets and BFG. I've done this, and the gib/diehigh sound is heard more often

You can gib yourself in god mode if you get hit by a rocket doing 10,000+ damage.

Mr. T said:

speaking of something else that doesn't happen very often, can anyone else get the doom guys surprised face? I've only ever gotten it by turning god on at the same time I'm getting damaged.

If player start is in a damaging sector, you'll see that face when the level loads.

ZDoom fixed the problem I think, so if you get damaged more than 20% you see it. I always play with the fullscreen hud so I'm not sure of this...

I just wish the high scream was more predictable.
One time, Cybie hit me right in the eye. Doomey made the high scream and it made my heart drop.

The Eternity Engine's skin viewer picks the diehi sound 50% of the time when you kill the player ;)

The loud scream is awesome. It just happens so instantly when he dies, body sliding across the floor holding his bloody neck while screaming. Way too badass.

Is there any way to disable the custom wav's in zdaemon btw? I know it's a server setting but I want my original death noises :( :(

TwiNCannoN said:

The loud scream is awesome. It just happens so instantly when he dies, body sliding across the floor holding his bloody neck while screaming. Way too badass.

Is there any way to disable the custom wav's in zdaemon btw? I know it's a server setting but I want my original death noises :( :(

You can take them out of the wad...

Ultraviolet said:

You can take them out of the wad...

...and then I guess you won't be able to join the game because the wad size on your comp will differ from the one on server and now zdaemon checks it to prevent cheating.

Donce said:

...and then I guess you won't be able to join the game because the wad size on your comp will differ from the one on server and now zdaemon checks it to prevent cheating.

How does that prevent cheating? You can make a modified version of ZDaemon that sends the original file size while using a different wad.

Infact, sending the file size is braindead in itself because it doesnt verify the contents. You can just create a modified wad file that is exactly the same size but changed in some way.

fraggle said:

How does that prevent cheating? You can make a modified version of ZDaemon that sends the original file size while using a different wad.

Infact, sending the file size is braindead in itself because it doesnt verify the contents. You can just create a modified wad file that is exactly the same size but changed in some way.

In fact, I believe with some resource editors, it deletes the content and reference to it but leaves the space open in the file, hence needing the "cleanup" feature.

Well, even then it's kind of stupid to have to basically "cheat the engine" to use the OLD WAV'S. If both wav sets are in the wad files, why not just have a, uh, you know, client side setting and not serverside? :P