Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Naked Snake

fanatic! read this!

My comp blows. Came with 62mb of ram no 3d card and a shitty sound card. Its old as hell. Anything needing a 3d card or if its more advanced than Quake II then I cant play it.

*) Your icon totally makes you look like the idiot that you sound like.

1) You can already do that with imps (or any other "thing"). I made a setup that allows the archvile to shoot 4 different kinds of magical attacks at you (at random too, not just in sequential order).

2) Enem weapon pickup would be nice, but imagine getting your skull cracked open by a zombie trooper's shotgun or supershotgun - not to mention that all the items would be gone before you even got to them (i like the idea, perhaps for only a few monsters to do it, like some kind of zombified super marine like the player).

3) Dont they already have colored sectors? You *can* apply a colormap to a sector with ddf code... but i dont know too much about it because im not a mapper :)

4) Bullet holes would be nice, but we would need to make them go away after awhile. What i would be interested in are those "flat on the floor" decals that used to always show up in Duke3d... because then we could really make true pools of blood and stuff. Im not really interested in bullet holes, they would be so small that it really wouldnt be worth the effort (the size of those bullet holes on some uac base textures, perhaps only 3x3 pixels).
And im against blast marks because if it left a blast mark it probably should ahve blown the wall or door down (esp. bfg).

5) Movable objects, would be nice, esp. with barrels. This maybe the one thing I do agree with you on.

6) Nah, i dont think drivable objects are really neccicary. Only the high-end 3d games like Q2+ and HL really *need* moving objects (notice i didn't say "drivable"). I really dont like the idea of getting in a truck and driving in a FPS.

7) Uh, random speed = no. Player already has random speed you dolt. And i dont really think that zombies or imps are going to be stopping to smell the roses. And random speeds for projectiles are totally out of the question.

I responded to this post without reading anyone else's responses, so im not elaborating on anyone (this is all original).

Ok, now ive looked at others' posts.

1) Demons picking up special items isn't a good idea... Lets jsut make some of them have permanent abilities of those powerups - gasp! The spectre already has partial invisibility, and the pinky demon could already have a soulsphere. Ie, just make new monsters that have those abilities permanent (you did say "EDGE ideas" in your original post... edge can have new monsters).

2) Demons aren't smart by themselves, but as a collective force they are. Ie, they dont make up teams but they do move as an entire body to do certain things.

I can see the reasoning behind making new monsters and characters having better AI though. Better AI has somewhere been lost as an idea for monsters (except for bots).

And if AI does get implemented somewhere for monsters, I dont want to see circular strafing as one of the qualities because it's jsut really cheezy.

3) The theory behind demons and things not being "gibbed" is because their body is so structurally sound that it takes a rocket or barrel explosion just to put them UNDER. It only takes a pistol bullet to put a human under (shot to the head), but it takes a double barreled shotgun blast or explosion of some kind to bring down a demon. Dont even think you're going to gib a demon unless you have the BFG or something bigger (but what could be carried that would be bigger?)

Now, i think they should be gibbable at some point too, but not in one hit or while they are still alive. Gibbable dead bodies should definalty be a possibility, maybe i'll make some way to do that in my edge mod (i wish i could just make another thing object "pop" out of something else rather than have to make a spawnthing attack).

It was afully stupid how it takes so much effort to bring down a tank in Q2 and then all you have to do is deliver a SSG blast and he goes all the way to gibbing.

4) Nightmare Imp - you're right, zombies should be very tough to kill. Because they're body is magicially possessed, it does not need such petty mechanisms suchas a heart or a brain to keep it going. This means that it could take a good 150 to 200 damage to stop a zombie. In addition, this damage would have to be delivered in one single blow.

* I suggest a new way of doing gibbing damage - a seperate damage system that takes into account that pistol shots or shotgun pellets cannot accumulate enough damage to gib something, but something like a rocket can while doing appropriate normal damage at the same time (the average of 100+ that it already does).

5) Dont even go there with weapons, I have too much to say about that issue and will never have enough time to say it.

6) BBG - You really do need to upgrade. If you're in high school and dont want to get a job then you'll have till you get into college, then you might be able to raise enough funds from financial aid and on-campus jobs that you could get a better computer.

If you have an AGP port in your computer, allz you have to do is slam a GeForce 2 video card in it and you'll be able to play all the new games (except for Doom3 or Quake4 or Unreal Tournament2, which aren't even out yet). One of these cards doesn't really cost that much.

If you want a really good card though i'd prefer a Voodoo 4000+ or anything any of these guys around here would suggest (i would also recommend that since you ARE poor [yes - YOU, not talking aobut your parents], that you try and keep the cost under $100... if you arent poor then what the hell are you complaining about - give me some money.).

Oh, and HL WILL run on your system, and so will Unreal and UT - they dont actually require all this fancy GL crap that ive come to enjoy (i still play Q2 in software mode because it's hella lot brighter than GL mode).

The only thing that GL does is apply a blur effect to the textures on your 3d models, supply some colored lightning (which isn't very realistic), make particles in aprticle effects more roundish (like those blaster pistol particles, they are round in GL mode instead of square), and do a good job of translucency and additivity. Unless you're buying a video card because you want to play games like Q3 or other crap then i wouldnt reccomend upgrading until you actually need to (ie, when doom3 comes out). Im just trying to inform you of what small added things you will be getting for your great sacrfices (it's like spending $500 more for a 53" Tv than for a 52" Tv, not that much better for the large cost extra).

7) Cyberdemon and baron of hell need Q3-bot-like AI. bEcause they are bosses they should be harder to beat than just giving them more health and better weapons.

8) BFG Enema was referenced somewhere as being the plasma cloud that you saw going away from your bfg when you fired it - the actual projectile that does ~500 damage (I always thought it did exactly 1000 damage, but they decided not to use a nice round number like that).

I would have the secondary mode as a really fast firing plasma rifle doing a little more damage (so instead of 700 shots/min @ 40 damage max. Have the bfg's alt. mode do 2100 shots/min @ 60 damage max). This secondary attack should also be slightly inaccurate, perhaps as inaccurate as the pistol is. The concept here is not exactly the BFG10k from Q3, but like a plasma rifle that really does kill you (would be sort-of like a minigun compared to an assault rifle).

Different AI for different monsters.

OK fair enough that Zombies and the like are just approach and fire, but I think the imps at lest should be able to push buttons to open doors, trigger traps, ect.

If the spider mastermind, is in fact the ‘Mastermind’ he should be smart enough to avoid BFG shots, maybe wack a few extra weapons on.

And I’d really like to see the cyberdemon try to crush you with his rocket launcher if you get to close.

And how about a consol on the wall, so that you can posses a cyberdemon! Squish those hell spawn like little bugs!

Gun turrets Like in shadow warrior!

My comp blows. Came with 62mb of ram no 3d card and a shitty sound card. Its old as hell. Anything needing a 3d card or if its more advanced than Quake II then I cant play it.

Poor sap.

if it makes you feel better:

p120

16 ram

less then a gig of HD space

and i can fuckin' forget about a 3d card.

if it makes you feel better:
p120
16 ram
less then a gig of HD space
and i can fuckin' forget about a 3d card.

i sympathise with you Ct_red_pants
i have a p200
with 16mb ram
1 gig hdd
no 3d card

damm i need a new pc

I got a:
*T-Bird 900mhz
*256mb ram
*64mb ram /shared for a 4x on-board AGP (which isn't very good compared to a name-brand card but *can* run GL)
*30 Gig HD
*17" monitor

Bad things:
*On-board sound that doesnt seem to want to work anymore.
*56k AMR modem that doesnt want to work anymore either.
*On-Board Ethernet Card that sucks up IRQ 5 and wont relinquish it.
*Shitty Speakers
*And only 2 PCI slots for upgrading/fixing my problems (well, I have an AGP port too, but I dont feel the need to upgrade to a fully-fledged AGP card yet).
*Oh, and last night my computer didn't turn on so I left it alone.

Things im considering:

*Rip the fukin motherboard out of there and put a new one in (~$150, this time it'll have to have at least 4 PCI slots)

*Throw a 16 or 32mb actual AGP card in the new motherboard (~$150, GeForce 2 or better, and it has to have both TV in and TV out.)

*Cheap Sound Card or Sound Card that works, must be PCI, must be fully compatible will all my games (ie, run on IRQ 5)... ($20-$50?)

*Might have to get a new case for the motherboard ($50-$100?, probably because of voltage or something, and the fact that my computer didnt turn on last night may mean that my present power source is shot).

-----
Spider Mastermind is too large to dodge anything (unless you are about 5000 map units away and he is moving sideways and it's something slow like a rocket or bfg blast).

Well. I pity the guys with the Bad computers.
To make you fell better: Mine was a 486!!!!!!

Note I said WAS.

Current Computer (nicknamed = ~~DA BEAAST~~)
Intel Pentium 4 1.5GHZ
256MB Rimm. (for those who don't know - Rimm is the P4's proprietry Ram)(Kinda cool)
64MB GeForce 2 Mx400
Creative Live! Value!
52x CD Rom
32x8x4 CD RW
40GB Drive.......
(Removable Hard Drive installed as well)
1.44MB Floppy Drive (well DUH)
19" Inch Monitor
AltecH Lansing (s'at how it's spelt?) 3 Peice speaker set
(Comes with 2 Wafer thin speakers and A HUGE subwoofer.
(Speakers are AWESOME. Haven't even tried higher than half the top Volume! Afraid I will ruin the suburb!):))
KingMax 56K usb Modem.
MicroShite Intellimouse Optical Explorer. (actually it's pretty good mouse..........)
Standard Keyboard. ( I HATE THE KEY BOARDS WITH ALL THOSE EXTRA BUTTONS! (Volume Control,"Internet shortcuts" all that crap)
I like my keyboards SQUARE AND BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's a full Tower too. (70cm high! = Bout 28" inches high)

Thats Basically it. Yeah I bought it a month ago.
Don't go callin me an idiot coz I bought a state of the art computer now. I can do what I want. But I intend to Upgrade it in about a year.
Get a GeForce SPYPYP!
(GeForce = So Powerful You Piss You're Pants! Heh Heh)
I mean You can't blame me. the old one was a 486! Oooooooh the Power! All Hail the mighty 486!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Thank God It died!) If you're been here long enough, you might remember made A post asking how to fick it coz it started beeping when I pressed power)
If you don't well :p to you!

(THINKS: hmm. Kinda long!)
(If that aint an understatement, then nothing is!!!!!)

I had a Cyrix 686 150mhz with 32 megs of ram and a 1 gig harddrive up until the year 2k. =)

About two weeks before the end of 1999 I got this bad boy.

Pentium III 450mhz
Voodoo 3 3000 (Unupgradable with standard components, sadly)
256 SDRam (Came with 64)
Sound Blaster PCI 128
Shitty WinModem 56k
40x CD-Rom
32x8x4x CD-RW, Creative (My third one, I burn too many cds)
TV-In card (Which I demolished on accident)
10 gig Western Digital
13 gig Maxtor 7200

At this point I also have Microsoft Intellimouse and Internet Keyboard Pro. I think it's cool to have my mouse and USB gamepad (PSX converter =) plugged right into the keyboard. Those extra buttons are annoying but thanks to my desk tray I never see them so they don't bother me, heheh.

These laser death mice are cool though, just don't try to find the source of that beam or you will see God beating you with a tire iron in your hallucination.

Right now, all things considered, when I put together my new system I won't accept anything less than 2 gb of RAM, I just won't. Maybe 1.5 but that's an absolute bare minimum. With all the video editing, humongous raw waveform editing, and delicious ram-drive gaming I do already it would be foolish of me to accept less.

I fucking wish there was an AMD board that had four slots for DDR ram. Those two slotters are incredulous... do they honestly expect me to buy one?

Current Computer (nicknamed = ~~DA BEAAST~~)

heh, someone's been reading PC Powerplay.

Another idea would be random items. There is something similar called Randoom. I never got it to work but adding this feature to EDGE would be cool.

P4 1.5Ghz
256MB Rimm. (for those who don't know - Rimm is the P4's proprietry Ram)(Kinda cool)

Wow, I'm so sorry for you.

I will get a TI 86 soon. It has:
96K RAM
Z80 6 Mhz processor
64x128 pixel grayscale (4 hues) LCD display
GraphLink serial cable (25 pins variety, 9600 baud)
In-built BASIC and math applications by Texas Instruments

So I own you all.

Definatly, the ability to make other thing.ddf objects "pop" out of other thing.ddf objects is a must.

It doesn't really help out the pain elemental any (since there has to be special considerations taken for lost souls), but it would allow you to make soldiers or monsters drop items at random (using custom states you can rig a Jump routine so that the shotgun guy either drops an empty shotgun, a shotgun, or just ammo).

In addition (here's the kicker), it would allow you to totally get rid of the corpse of a dead monster and put into it's place another corpse which is shootable. Ie, you dont see caco disappear when he dies, but when he's dead on the ground you can shoot him to "death" again (this time it would be a gibbing death, since if you did pump 100 shotgun shells into a caco he probably would gib at some point).

The only problem that i can see with the extra corpse is that it could interfere with autoaiming. Like if you, have your rocket launcher out and there is a dead caco or imp right in front of you and you are trying to shoot at a baron beyond it, you might be in for a surprise (and alot of pain, it would seem that your rockets liked the dead imp more than they liked the baron, and you just happened to be 2 foot away from the imp).

As for gibbed carcasses, if they were shootable they would simlpy turn into pools of blood if you "gibbed" them again (would be akin to destroying gib pieces in Q2). No GIB for you! (gib nazi)

That WOULD be cool to have a shotgun guy drop an empty shotgun, a good shotgun, 4 pack of shells, box of shells and on very rare occasions drop a shotgun, two boxes of shells and a backpack.

I'd like the ability to create classes, a la hexen, so that it can really enhance the single play mode, or multi (if/when that happens), you know, get a Doom TFC goin, that kinda thing, or co-op Doom with character classes, again a la hexen.

Also - the ability to ignite enemies if flamethrowers are coded in.

Another thing - make it so that the feature that allows reloading does NOT interfere with a weapon's fire rate. It just pisses me off that reloading drops potential fire rate like a rock in the middle of the Pacific.

allow more than two projectiles to be fired simultaneously with projectile weapons. (so far that I'VE seen, only two can be fired at once, a la the mancubus. I don't work with critters often.)

Blur mode a la redneck rampage so that alcohol and be consumed...farting should be implemented as well...just for the fun of it all. (note: this is NOT a serious request)

allow a currency-type system a la Strife and/or CyberMage, to allow for RPG-type elements where one can purchase weapons and such, if someone wants to implement that, of course.

third fire-mode

projectiles that can pass through critters as it kills 'em, i.e. a railgun projectile flag.

That's all I can think of for now.

Echoing sectors. Like if a hallway is narrow you could like make it so that sounds are echoed. That would be cool.

ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS! ADD MD2 MODELS!

'Nuff said.:p