Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

another slow DOS dangling day

Imagine some J.S.Bach fanatic's opinion about this thread.

ROFL

diluted

shaggs2dopejd

Yeah I added him to the buddy list earlier today but it seems he is not intent to get on AIM or on Doomworld right now.

honestly i own a slipknot CD but i will agree bands like them are a dime a dozen a day. that is a reason i hate gang rap because it is no longer new and it is all the same. also this pop shit is getting annoying, the brittney/pepsi comercial sucks. well that is american for u take advantage of something for a gain, no mater how dumb or over done it may be. i use to be a big metallica fan but i hate their new stuff because they have sold out more or less. metallica now days does not even have much of a metal theme any more. i still love their old stuff. i do like manson but it is not one of the greatest. i have been getting more into no name bands that have not sold out...yet. also i never watch MTV because it is propaganda bullshit. pop culture always is more destructive than manson, slipknot, doom, other violent games and moveis combined. it tells us that life is only worth something if we are young, sexy, and rich. how many girls kill them selvs because they cant look like brittney/ other pop stars. how many of us will be thrown away just because we are not the best looking or rich. pop culture is a horrible thing to fallow because it has a short and ever changing life span. so lets for get this bullshit and play a nice hot game of violent doom in good old dos!

Sephiroth knows what he's talking about here...

Look, I'm tired of waiting for fraggle's reply... so...

Never did I say that MuDvAyNe and Slipknot are very original, and never did I say that they are the end all kings of rock/metal. Because they aren't. That doesn't change the fact that I like their music, no matter how marketed it is. I'm not changing my tastes in music simply because I don't like the band's image, the band's way of getting noticed, or who else likes the band.

End of discussion.

i will say that manson does have many good songs. the song lamb of god describs pop culture "when your rattings drop you are forgotten"

how ever i do listen to some bands that are now pop, like metallica but i was listening to them before they became sell outs or part of pop culture

i will say that manson does have many good songs. the song lamb of god describs pop culture "when your rattings drop you are forgotten"

Yeah, lamb of god... btw, anybody who liked Antichrist Superstar should go buy Holy Wood. They're pretty similar.

how ever i do listen to some bands that are now pop, like metallica but i was listening to them before they became sell outs or part of pop culture

Uhm... metallica isn't pop. Maybe pop culture, but not pop. I admit to liking bands that are part of pop culture if they are good, because like I said, I don't change my music taste just because someone I dont' like likes it or such...

well lets get back onto the subject here: Good old DOS. I am a big supporter of newer source ports over the original DOS port. however lets not forget our roots and at least once a month boot up into DOS and play a game of original DOS doom.

I prefer telnetting to a Unix shell account or a BBS... Of course you can't play doom that way, but the experience is more complete :)

Never did I say that MuDvAyNe and Slipknot are very original, and never did I say that they are the end all kings of rock/metal. Because they aren't. That doesn't change the fact that I like their music, no matter how marketed it is. I'm not changing my tastes in music simply because I don't like the band's image, the band's way of getting noticed, or who else likes the band.

For the record, I would have made a reply, but I was doing some stuff and forgot about this thread :P

Fair enough. Although seeing as you're so tolerant of peoples different tastes in music, maybe you should stop the threads whining about your sister listening to hiphop and other non-metal bands.

As for doom over telnet, if you use the X Window system that most unix systems use for a GUI, you can actually run this over a network, although its very slow :P. If you use an SDL doom port such as PrBoom you can also use the aalib wrapper and run it through the telnet connection itself (ascii art).

btw, anybody who liked Antichrist Superstar should go buy Holy Wood. They're pretty similar.

GAH! No way. He actually had something semi-decent to say through most of AS, along with some semi-original music which relied on unique tones instead of good songwriting to be "original". Holy Wood is like... God it's unbearable. I can't even get started, it's just... ugh.

Maybe if he wrote one original riff aside from that little intro it could have been a halfway enjoyable album. I found the verses of Place In The Dirt to be entertaining... the opening drumbeat of The Love Song could have worked in a good song... uh, what else... I think that's it.

You'd think it couldn't get more generic and unoriginal than Mechanical Animals, then he hits you with Holy Wood. It's amazing he still has fans, Manson has become a worse musical epidemic than boy bands.

If you're talking Dos NES emulators, Nesticle is the best. The most compatible. Good sound, fast, perfect. The only problem is that it still doesn't play Castlevania 3 well. I've been told that JNES runs it perfectly though.

For SNES, get ZSNES. Don't waste your time with anything else. It runs just about everything (even Megaman X2 & 3), it works with the superscope games as well.

I love DOS. I barely use windows nowadays for games. Well, maybe windows ports of dos games. The sound cracks in dos on my sound blaster pci128.

So basically I have a $2000 NES/SNES/DOOM machine ($4000 when I bought it).

I DO, however, like some of his music and own a few albums!

Well, I agree with you on this. One inconvenience with music today is the constant stereotyping if you own someone's CD or even a single.

I have this friend of mine that has three Britney Spears CDs but I wouldn't have guessed that he liked her MUSIC unless he told me (he's not homosexual either). He doesn't act like her or try to sing her songs or take part in the "manufactured" image bullshit or anything. He just likes the songs.

If you're talking Dos NES emulators, Nesticle is the best. The most compatible. Good sound, fast, perfect. The only problem is that it still doesn't play Castlevania 3 well. I've been told that JNES runs it perfectly though.

For SNES, get ZSNES. Don't waste your time with anything else. It runs just about everything (even Megaman X2 & 3), it works with the superscope games as well.

I love DOS. I barely use windows nowadays for games. Well, maybe windows ports of dos games. The sound cracks in dos on my sound blaster pci128.

So basically I have a $2000 NES/SNES/DOOM machine ($4000 when I bought it).

who the hell mentioned nes emulators?

did you read the first thread of this post? seph asked what was a good nes emulator. is your memory that bad? :)

Nesticle still has that freaky scrolling bug that bothers me to no end. I guess JNes is good, but I still prefer RockNes.

Yup, ZSNES rules. If you have a fast computer, try using 640x480 non-stretched, hi-res mode 7, and the super 2x sai engine. And then fire up Final Fantasy 3. And say goodbye to your weekend.

There is ONE case where ZSNES isn't the fastest, though. SuperFX games run better in Snes9x, but that isn't a dos emulator.

Fair enough. Although seeing as you're so tolerant of peoples different tastes in music, maybe you should stop the threads whining about your sister listening to hiphop and other non-metal bands.

For the record, I don't care what my sister listens too, (Although what she does listen to is horrid for any rock fan, be them fans of Slipknot or ACDC, Mudvayne or SYL, Manson or Metallica (I LIKE ALL THESE BANDS! WOO!)), I despise how she plays it at 1:00 fricking clock in the morning without headphones and yells at me for my "loud radio" when I listen to late night radio shows at ten, and how she turns it up full notch out the window so her and her friends can listen to it out in the backyard...

btw, anybody who liked Antichrist Superstar should go buy Holy Wood. They're pretty similar.

GAH! No way. He actually had something semi-decent to say through most of AS, along with some semi-original music which relied on unique tones instead of good songwriting to be "original". Holy Wood is like... God it's unbearable. I can't even get started, it's just... ugh.

Maybe if he wrote one original riff aside from that little intro it could have been a halfway enjoyable album. I found the verses of Place In The Dirt to be entertaining... the opening drumbeat of The Love Song could have worked in a good song... uh, what else... I think that's it.

You'd think it couldn't get more generic and unoriginal than Mechanical Animals, then he hits you with Holy Wood.

/me stares at Holy Wood album

It's amazing he still has fans, Manson has become a worse musical epidemic than boy bands.

GAH!

/me puts Lüt over my knee.

/me puts Lüt over my knee.

Damn you... damn you to hell

Anyway, I feel like saying something important. Here, let's look at Lüt's quote...

Manson has become a worse musical epidemic then boy bands

Well Lüt, I might actually be able to agree with you there... yep, manson's worse... not as big, but a worse "musical epidemic".

But let's look for a minute into what is and what makes a so-to-speak epidemic in the musical world. An example? Lessee... BSB, NSync, and all the other most famous boy bands...

I dunno what record producer thought, back in the days of the new kids, that making a bunch of guys dance to crappy synthesizer bop and sing love song lyrics like alvin the chipmunk would make a good band, but he must have been smarter then I would first think... for it has evolved into the boy band craze of today.

The boy/girl bands of today are not completely talentless. Their talent is just misplaced. They can dance, sure, a lot better than I ever could. Which suggests, of course, that they should release dance videos instead of music albums.

Yet the masses buy into it, and a bunch of dancing screeching morons make millions, as compared to the hundreds of local and less-known bands that have worked ten times as hard.

And if these bands had been offered a similar record deal, they might just be as famous. See, had it not been Britney Spears and Christina Aguilsfaldfdasfe (SP?????), it would have been two other good looking girls who can dance...

I found my dad listening to a boy band once... and when I questioned him, he said "I kinda like this one". He was just listening to some music that he found entertaining, not running around trying to catch live TRL's and covering his room in boy band posters.

So, in truth, the producers and crazy fans(fanatics) make the plague, not the band. The only thing the band contributes is the inability to pass down so much money for such dinky performances. An inability that I will admit I have, and I'm sure many other forum members would become boy band members for multimillions and tons of girls willing to &$%# them!

In an abstract way, the same can apply to Manson, Slipknot, whatever. I'll agree Manson has (almost) as many bad songs as good ones. I'll agree slipknot isnt' the most talented/original band the world has ever seen. You can't blame them for marketing their music so much when you know you'd do it too for so much freaking money and fame, no matter how many irritating goths/teenybobbers/wierdos follow you around and worship you like a god.

I'm done. I just had to get that off my chest.

But let's look for a minute into what is and what makes a so-to-speak epidemic in the musical world. An example? Lessee... Slipknot, Mudvayne, and all the other "screaming maniac dressed in silly costumes" bands..

I dunno what record producer thought, that making a bunch of guys scream into a microphone and play the same 3 chords over and over again would make a good band, but he must have been smarter then I would first think... for it has evolved into the Nu-Metal bullshit craze of today.

They are not completely talentless. Their talent is just misplaced. Some of them can play their instruments fairly well, to an extent. Which suggests, of course, that they should maybe develop their talent and make some proper music.

Yet the masses buy into it, and a bunch of screeching morons make millions, as compared to the hundreds of local and less-known bands that have worked ten times as hard.

And if these bands had been offered a similar record deal, they might just be as famous. See, had it not been Slipknot or Mudvayne, it would have been another bunch of screeching retards.

So, in truth, the producers and crazy fans(fanatics) make the plague, not the band. The only thing the band contributes is the inability to pass down so much money for such dinky performances. An inability that I will admit I have, and I'm sure many other forum members would become members of "screaming nu-metal maniac" bands for multimillions and tons of girls willing to &$%# them!

did you read the first thread of this post? seph asked what was a good nes emulator. is your memory that bad? :)

remind me, who are you again? :P

But let's look for a minute into what is and what makes a so-to-speak epidemic in the musical world. An example? Lessee... Slipknot, Mudvayne, and all the other "screaming maniac dressed in silly costumes" bands..

I dunno what record producer thought, that making a bunch of guys scream into a microphone and play the same 3 chords over and over again would make a good band, but he must have been smarter then I would first think... for it has evolved into the Nu-Metal bullshit craze of today.

They are not completely talentless. Their talent is just misplaced. Some of them can play their instruments fairly well, to an extent. Which suggests, of course, that they should maybe develop their talent and make some proper music.

Yet the masses buy into it, and a bunch of screeching morons make millions, as compared to the hundreds of local and less-known bands that have worked ten times as hard.

And if these bands had been offered a similar record deal, they might just be as famous. See, had it not been Slipknot or Mudvayne, it would have been another bunch of screeching retards.

So, in truth, the producers and crazy fans(fanatics) make the plague, not the band. The only thing the band contributes is the inability to pass down so much money for such dinky performances. An inability that I will admit I have, and I'm sure many other forum members would become members of "screaming nu-metal maniac" bands for multimillions and tons of girls willing to &$%# them!

Are you mocking me or making a point? Either way it's just as valid.

<babble>At this point it would be funny to compare Slipknot/Mudvayne (and boy/girl bands) to MS Windows (bad and extremely popular), small talented bands to Linux (good but mostly unknown) and convert this thing into an OS FLAMEWAR!!!! </babble>

Aight, look. There're two different things: music and image. They're completely independent! Image is much easier to make and sell.
The music of Slipknot and Britney Spears, internally, is not all that different (sorry Liam). Their images are different, because they're intended for sale to different categories of people: Britney for "normal" average teenagers, and Slipknot for those average teenagers who think they're "non-conformists". When people buy the CD's, they buy image.

As to their music: percent of talent/originality there is negligibly small. And why should it be otherwise? They don't need to be good to get money, they just need to have a good image, and that's what producers are for.

The stuff they produce, apparently, is called 'music' because of some weird mistake.

<babble>At this point it would be funny to compare Slipknot/Mudvayne (and boy/girl bands) to MS Windows (bad and extremely popular), small talented bands to Linux (good but mostly unknown) and convert this thing into an OS FLAMEWAR!!!! </babble>

Yay... i think...

[/quote]Aight, look. There're two different things: music and image. They're completely independent! Image is much easier to make and sell.[/quote]I agree completely.

The music of Slipknot and Britney Spears, internally, is not all that different (sorry Liam).

If you could explain that to me...

Their images are different, because they're intended for sale to different categories of people: Britney for "normal" average teenagers,

Uhm....

and Slipknot for those average teenagers who think they're "non-conformists".

Uhm... I don't think I'm a non-conformist...

When people buy the CD's, they buy image.

I buy the music, not the image.

As to their music: percent of talent/originality there is negligibly small. And why should it be otherwise? They don't need to be good to get money, they just need to have a good image, and that's what producers are for.

Well agreed... slipknot isn't "great" music... but I don't just see why it also has to be "bad" music...

The stuff they produce, apparently, is called 'music' because of some weird mistake.

No, it's music alright... just not music we're used to...

Oh well. Slipknot isn't even in my top 20 bands (Mudvayne is in the top 10, but...). I guess I just won't talk about them, except for the occasional "slipknot kixass" when someone brings it up. I'll talk instead about the tons of other metal/punk/alternative that me and the rest of the forum can all enjoy.

The music of Slipknot and Britney Spears, internally, is not all that different (sorry Liam).

If you could explain that to me...

He's talking about the complexity and songwriting - whether it's the same 3 hip-hop loops 40 times in a row or the same 3 blaring guitar tracks 40 times in a row, it's the same shit over and over again.