Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

DW redesign

It doesn't look bad but it's VERY uncreative. The current design has a style, a theme that goes around the entire site - while this proposed design looks like a bunch of tables with random lines and colors. The layout is ok, but improve the graphical content.

I may add that the top section with the cyberdemon and the DW logo sucks. The background there has mixed colors, which interacts, badly with the front that has one color. In my opinion, it would look better with all graphics in one hue.

It WILL actually look like Doomcenter if looking like this. Doomcenter has the same kind of randomly placed lines and fonts that look busy since they don't fit with each other.

And sure, blue is nice. But why not some more unique fashion? Like the background color in the Doomworld button on my site? =)

Originally, the water texture WAS blue, and it looked extremely monochromatic. I changed it to gray and everyone seemed to like it better.

I've seen what you think the DW redesign should look like, so I am in no hurry to follow your web design advice :P

I've seen what you think the DW redesign should look like, so I am in no hurry to follow your web design advice :P

Hold it right there. The first, green thing I sent to you was crap, I only demonstrated the idea with a top story there. The second (blue) one was for showing a little less diffuse ordering of the graphics in the top area plus a little variation of the logo. Neither of these were intended to become DW redesigns, actually.

I could make a better design myself (yeah sure I know you'll think - "better in my his opinion"). I don't have time ("Well, that's the worst excuse I've heard in a year")

Blah.

It seems that people around here like the busy use of random lines.

Damn it.

I want DW to be white.

White background - all the way.

White background and I'd accept almost any design.

Everything looks better in white(TM)

http://www.doomworld.com/redesign/bleh/dw.php:

First, a green line. Then, two grey lines with brown, blue and gold between them. Then some more grey lines with several blue lines inside plus white text written in two different fonts.

http://www.doomworld.com/

All lines in the same color, blue. A little boring but extremely clean. The font matches the curves and the graphical elements very well. Since the outer areas are dark blue and the main tables are black, it is very easy to see which object is an image, which is a headline, which is a logo, which is a list of links etc.

Sorry for complaining a lot, but I don't want Doomworld to become yet another anonymus site :(

Damn it.

I want DW to be white.

White background - all the way.

White background and I'd accept almost any design.

DIE

white backgrounds are great. The reason paper is white is because black on white is sciencifically proven to be the best contrast/combination for reading. Think of the top web sites that there are on the net, yahoo, google, altavista (once :P) and think of popular commercial sites (amazon, dabs, egg.com).. they ALL have white backgrounds.

white backgrounds are great. The reason paper is white is because black on white is sciencifically proven to be the best contrast/combination for reading. Think of the top web sites that there are on the net, yahoo, google, altavista (once :P) and think of popular commercial sites (amazon, dabs, egg.com).. they ALL have white backgrounds.

They arent doom sites though. Black fits better with the Doom theme.

Oh, the new design is good, btw :)

*Merks* aaaiiie! Sure, it it was white, then we could have an albino cyber demon. With pink eyes! .. or maybe not. I personally like the proposed blue layout better... white may be better contrast, but it you get a migraine it's hell on the eyes X_x...

looks great to me, yea it does kind of remind me of doom center but doomworld is doomworld. also throw in some more junk, the poll is kind of neat but i think it should be made bigger and better like planethalf-life's poll page.

<everybody> the redesign looks great!!11

yeah, and there are also people who think newdoom is the best site ever

to be honest, it looks more like the old doomworld design than doomcenter to me.

white backgrounds are great. The reason paper is white is because black on white is sciencifically proven to be the best contrast/combination for reading.

Actually, in most cases yellow backgrounds are easier on the eyes than white, and accomplish the same contrast.

...says some master visual guy we had visit our school for a class on giving good presentations. He had the scientific proof thing going too :)

I agree with Fredrik that the green line on top of the page sucks. It's completely out of place there. It's the only green thing on the whole page.
The rest looks fine to me, color-wise.

Also, the logo looks a bit out of place where it's right now. It's not aligned with anything else. It would look better on the left of the page, but that's impossible because of the cybie. I think it would look better if its right edge was aligned with right edge of the main (news) column.
Or, put it right above the UGO sign, on the right edge of the page. And make it bigger then.

That's my constructive two cents =)

I like it! Maybe some more blue in the artwork. And PLEASE change the font of the menu on the right. Change it to the same font as the news-headlines use. Apart from these 2 things, I think it's very nice =) Well done.

Fredrik's comments about the new design...

It doesn't look bad but it's VERY uncreative.

I've seen your site too. I looked very hard, but I can't find anything creative in there.

[quote]They arent doom sites though. Black fits better with the Doom theme./[quote]
Not quite. Not only black fits with the Doom theme. Black background color has been used in a lot of different type of sites today. Even quake3world.com uses black as its bgcolor. That makes nothing special about it. Maybe a bloody red color uses for the bgcolor would be ok to represent the bloody feeling of the Doom theme.

Uh, speaking of the old doomworld design, it really does look like the old one

Bah, there's no such thing as DOOM-theme colors for a site... it's what the site is -about-, not the color. Well... maybe tye-dye is un-DOOMish... and pretty pinks (sickly pink, sure! Bulldog demon ^_^!). It's creative license, miyaa haa haa... but I myself would -never- be caught with a pink bg.... *gags* gimmie black and blue backgrounds any day!

They arent doom sites though. Black fits better with the Doom theme.

So, doomworld should follow doom's theme? Then why not have flesh and computer graphics all over the site, and small animated imps running around? And music from Doom playing in the background?

My example is a bit exaggerated there, but I don't think Doomworld should be too much of a themed-like-Doom-site. I think a good logo with some Doom content (like that cyberdemon) would be enough to set the mood and declare that the site is about Doom and nothing else.

Remember that Doomworld is a news site. It should be professionally made, look good but not have too much eyecandy, it should be formal and proper. Not like cnn.com, but not like newdoom.com either.

It is a fact that MANY new Doom sites will open as the new Doom gets released. And I can guarantee that all of them will have black background. So why not make Doomworld stand out from the crowd by being the professional site?

White == professional.

Any color can look pro if you do the page right. White isn't always right, you know...
/me eats the Fredrik fishie. Her online personna -is- half cat, you know...
Yay ^_^ tasty fishies for me!.... emr, anyhow. Be the page blue, white, or (Bob forbid) pink, if the layout is solid, it'll look pro. Personally, my own site has been many colors, blue, black, purple, and red. Don't know... I just think pages with color look better than white... white's just a bit blegh in my view...
/me spits out the fishie, he tastes nasty
Erg...

I wouldn't be complaining if the redesign looked really awesome. It doesn't.

And thanks for eating me =P

*Smug as 'ell* No problem, fishie ^__^. Don't take it -too- personally though... *Red has a deranged sense of humor*.

I still think the redesign's looking pretty good though. May be biased, since my favorite color is blue, but still...

It is a fact that MANY new Doom sites will open as the new Doom gets released. And I can guarantee that all of them will have black background. So why not make Doomworld stand out from the crowd by being the professional site?

White == professional.

If you're so damn professional, then why are the links on your site GREY?

It's only a sample of the layout, of course the links dont work :P

Do You Really Think This Thread Could Be As Insane As It Will Have As Many Replies As The Last One Posted By Linguica????????????????????????????????????????????????