Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sir Fragsalot

Doom (& other games) cause brain damage!!!!!!!

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2805811,00.html?chkpt=zdhpnews01

Wow, and I though StatsCan did some useless studies.

Now, to save everyone some time posting, here's some flaws with this study:

1. NO CONTROL GROUP! They had 2 groups doing different activities but no-one doing nothing.

2. The video game(s) used in the study are unspecified. Games like the Final Fantasy series or any adventure game would probably produce completely different results than the ones the study shows.

3. Can you name any video game that you don't have to use your memory to play? (like remembering platform levels... or Doom levels) Pong is the only one I can think of.

Anyone else want to blast these people out of the water?

Well to a point it is true, depending on the game. I know I will get flamed for this, but watching TV, your brain is at a lower acticity level than if you where just sitting there staring at a wall.
This is why some make wads and stuff.

Hrrrm... according to them, playing games causes less brain activity than doing math work. I suspect that's due to stress pressures ^_^ and not knowing why they were captured in the night, and are now being observed by strangers forcing them to do mathmatic equations. Erm, sure. My long-term memory is fried, but it always has been since I can remember........ *blank look* what was I talking about? ^_^

Oh, yes, and the Nintendo game in question was just a Super NES. Since they blew their budget, they couldn't afford any game cartridges, but, -study shows- results! Now excuse me while I spend some time staring at the wall to increase my IQ.....

ah... but to have brain damage, you must have a brain. i don't think any of us have one.

Please, if video games damaged your brain I would be sitting in a wheelchair playing with my diaper and the only thing I could say would be, "deady go plop plop!"

I've been playing video games since Space Invaders in the arcade for Chrissakes.

*Looks around in a box and throws out various objects* lesse... extra cables, Genesis controller, extra SNES power adapter.... ah, found it! *Holds up a grey, wrinkled mass* I found the extra brain I was saving ^_^! Kinda dusty, but...

Yes, if games gave permenent brain damage, I would.... erm.... wait, what kind of damage is this? I'm calling my insurance agent, damn it!

-Red Warrior... comparing brain damage and flood damage... save yourselves!

Actually I just read a similar article on the Reg, and it basically says that video games only stimulate certain parts of the brain... so doing nothing but playing video games will inhibit your ability to learn something.

Well my parents always made me stop playing Contra and Journey to Silius to do my math homework... so I'd rush through it thinking hard so I could get back to blasting those damn, dirty aliens... so I think video games helped my learning ability.

Of course playing video games far too much will damage your brain. So will too much TV, too much pr0n, too much reading and too much of any single thing. You need to diversify your entertainment across many fields.

Yeah, too much reading will fuck you up. Have you ever seen one of those meganerds that has no grip on reality and always stalks the Butlers around with a camera, positive the bastard is guilty of something? Makes you just want to buy them a Gameboy.

People come into my work all the time that you can tell that all they do is work, sleep, work, sleep. They're detatched from reality so much they can barely speak above a whisper or grunt. They don't smile, they talk in monotone. If I ever turn out like that I want someone to shoot me.

Well, rest assured that not only Doom and other such video games cause drain bramage.
Cell phones cause it, and so too do computers, as well other electronic devices.

Unfortunately, I can testify that a little bit of that article is true from first-hand experience.

They aren't saying that video games cause brain damage, they're saying that only playing video games as opposed to doing a ton of other things is limiting the brain development since games only stimulate certain areas. It's pretty obvious that only doing one specific activity all the time is limiting to brain development, no matter what kind of activity it is. A good mix and variety of activities is best, that's been known forever. You can apply that study to anything, not just video games.

Well, if there was any doubt before as to the validity of this report, these forums prove it :P

Acually it has been proven that video games boost you immune system. I dont know how though.

Probably because you never get outside or come in contact with any other people who may be sick.

Brain? Like the that what the Arachnotron and the Spider Mastermind shows?

Reminds me that I recently was going to post an advise how to sculpt such a device just for the case that you want to make yourself an Arachnotron puppet:

(But I did not post it because I thought it would be send to the specific place immediately)

Just take a transparent bag (should not be too glossy, try to get a bag that refelects the light not so much) and fill it will foam flakes that are used to protect fragile items on the shippment (do not know the right english for that). Just choose pink flakes, but a few white ones will make it look moore realistic. I did not find any grey flakes, but those should also be available. Then carefully divide the hemispheres with transparent (or grey/pink) thread. This will be a terrific brain for your spider!

what are u talking about?! for a strong immune system you must be incontact with other ornanisams that are harmful. if u never came incontact with any illness in your entire life a cold could kill you. u get strong as u defeat other organisms in your body before u are sick or after u make a full recovery from the illness.

MY only question is who the hell was thinking that video games would have a positive effect on their IQ in the first place.

Who cares what a criticism on games says...I don't. My mom might, cuz she hates video games, but still...who cares anymore. Eat work eat shit sleep routine ain't healthy either...and I agree with sephiroth, games do NOT boost your immune system. Colds and Flus do if you fight 'em off naturally, because antibiotics are essentially a rochambeau to the immune system as well as the illness.

I just found the article in my moms readers digest. It says "Can you belive the video games your kids play acually make them healthy? Video games allow children to relive stress and this boosts their immune system..." Blah and blah. So there you have it.

/me sees title of thread/

/me goes into unholy rage/

>¦[

(screamed in a loud, VERY angry voice)

BULLSHIT!!!!! Goddamn it, this thread ruined mah hi!!!

/me dissappears back into da shadows, while muttering somethin' about fascist pricks/

Kawashima believes that children must be encouraged to practice basic mathematics, as well as learning reading and writing which also boost the frontal lobe. He is convinced that children who play video games excessively will not develop their frontal lobes and will consequently be more prone to violent acts, as they will be less able to control their behavior.

Rofl, so gamers doesn't go to school or something. Thats the dumbest thing i ever heard. This article brings out a problem that we've had and used a sollution for for thousands of years. Right, school. Kids don't play games all the time, they go to school as well.

Besides, they never mentioned what kinds of games they used for testing. I mean, did they test kids playing mario kart all day long or people playing more intelligent shit like Q3 or Starcraft.

I'd just ignore this.

You have obviously never played a good game of q3 in your life.

This is what goes through my mind every second i play Q3 : Red armor spawning in 13 seconds, megahealth spawining in 67 seconds, heard enemy hit a jumppad, but i can't see him on this one, so he's probably going for the railgun (the pad inside) or the rocketlauncher (one of the pads on the other side of the map) (seeing we're playing q3tourney4).

In addition, i would be thinking of what route he's likely to take to get to the red armor wich spawns in 13 seconds, and get there before him, while maintaining and advantagous position where i can get away from the action and find some health if things get too hot.

That's the problem with q3. People think it's just run and shoot.