Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Gokuma

Looking for Strife demo v1.0

Since I found some weird stuff in the v1.1 demo (gas grenades partially implemented in exe, different i_coin graphic in wad, single missile item sprite), I'm trying to find the original v1.0 demo.

Here, here, and here are the closest I've come. Maybe the ftp's just aren't responding now (or last night). This seems to be a dead end as I can't find an actual link to download the file and it's probably v1.1 anyway.

BTW, at the DoomGate link look at the screenshots and you can see some alpha version Sigil weapon sprite.

The released versions of Strife I know to exist are...
Full versions: 1.0, 1.2, 1.3, and 1.31
Demo versions: 1.0, 1.1
I'm pretty sure no full v1.1 exists. Actual Strife CD's contain either v1.0 or v1.2. I think the Doomworld patch section has a couple typos and the v1.1 registered to v1.2 registered patches are actually v1.0 to v1.2.
If anyone knows of any existent versions I don't know of or how to update to them, please tell me.

Also, something funny/ironic but useless. I was looking at the source code for the setup.exe used by all Doom-engine games and it includes a Strife version setup.exe v1.0 (Although the setup.exe included with every version of Strife I have is v1.1). So we have the source code to the setup prog, but still not Strife itself. Doh!

Also, anyone know where to get Hexen95 and/or beta and/or demo versions of Hexen other than the October 18th, 1995 dated one? I'm not asking for full version iwads (even though I legally bought the games) as that would be against the rules here.

I cut that Sigil out of the screenshot, did some negative gamma correction to match it up with the final graphics in strife1.wad, and completed it by cut and pasting and touching it up down to the pixel.

I guess that explains why SIGLA0 - SIGLE0 (weapon pickup sprites) looks so radically different from the final version (hudweapon sprites)

I haven't really looked at it (the Hexen beta). It just crashes for me but I heard the iwad contains new graphics something like a different colored Yorick statue. And if you look in Zeth's hexen.cfg there's something about a "Fly" thing that's only in demo versions.

Major thanks to Frans de Vries of 3DGamers.com for finding the Strife v1.0 demo on some old floppy disks and getting the files to me. It's turns out to be very interesting. There's a lot of minor graphics and a couple sounds not in any other version of Strife and the exe actually still contains between-level text from Doom 2!

I added links to download both versions of the Strife demo to the download page of my site. And added a s0hack.exe to the sehacked zip.

More weirdness in v1.0 demo: Many sounds have Doom 2 names. The additional sound is dswelcum which shop keeps say to you. Also dsambppl is different in the demo versions and pretty funny.