Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

Good lord, we have at least finished doom 2 right?

This might seem like a dumb question, but there are people among us who haven’t finished Doom II. Some are lazy, some couldn’t find there way through ‘the living end’ or “the icon of sin”, some just didn’t like doom II.

Well it’s time to be outed and shunned like the Nancy boys you are!

I've done every map on UV from scratch. Also tried for max kills and secrets but sometimes I forgot a secret/monster or two (I don't know all the maps by heart).

A long time ago when I was a keyboarder I also made a run from map 1 to 29 on skill 2. Back then I couldn't do map 30. :-)

I've also done maps 1,2,3,7,8 and 18 (perhaps more, can't remember) in NightMare! ...

The original Doom2 maps are a bit special in the sense that speeding through them is almost always quite easy even on UV but hanging around trying for maxkills can be a bit troublesome in some maps.

Yeah but you can't make a poll in the general forum.

I beat DooM 2 only about 1 1/2 years ago on UV. Easier than I thought. I always had to play on ITYTD with IDDQD.

I'm all for Ultra-Violence. I want monsters to stay dead when I kill them :P

Besides, that makes for more adventurous DOOM play - finding all the secrets, all the monsters, and that last helmet you must've overlooked somewhere in the level...

UV in one continuous run myself. Although I may have to try nightmare after seeing all these threads - I never even attempted MAP01 in this mode.

//Edit: Christ, to MAP03 was all I could manage. I suppose I [edit]could[/edit] maybe get a bit further if I just skipped unnecessary areas and focused instead on getting to the exit as quickly as possible.

Little Faith said:

On UV, but I did run past the last cyberdemon and into the hole, I am not good at fighting cybies in tight places.

That way I have played for years. The last time I played Doom 2 on UV was the first time I got 100% kills except on MAP30.

I played doom 2 on Nightmare, with no codes, it it took me about a month. I am gooooddddd, arn't I?

I can't be arsed to finish Doom 2, let alone play it seriously (ie without cheats). It's not interesting enough - plus I probably wouldn't last till map05 anyway either.

Nope, I never got around to it. By the time I got out of the "too-scared-not-to-cheat" stage, I was pretty much sick of all the original levels.

I do like the Nightmare skill level in that it gives the game a sense of immortality. You can never truly beat DOOM, for there is always the not even remotely fair skill level Nightmare to conquer...

Maybe that's why DOOM still lives, even after ten years...

I beat it on Hurt me Plenty, and I started playing it on Ultra-Violence, but eventually stopped because i started playing mostly PWADS. I may go back and beat it on UV, cuz I'm sure I could do it now.

Terra-jin said:

You can never truly beat DOOM, for there is always the not even remotely fair skill level Nightmare to conquer...

What? I have beat it on Nightmare. It was realy hard though.

I first beat all the levels on ITYTD with IDDQD. This way I got acquainted with the controls and the environment, learned the behavior of all monsters and weapons.

Then I played it on ITYTD without cheats, but that soon became too easy. I think that if using saves, I could beat any level with health never falling below 190%. Boring.

So I tried UV. Still didn't do no-save runs, cause it would take me too long, so I just learned to beat it, part by part. My last saved game is on The Living End, on the stairs below the Cybie. The first time I also couldn't be bothered and just ran through to the exit hole, but it's not really a problem because you have a BFG and all...

Then I beat Evilution pretty much the same way and now I'm on level 20 or something of Plutonia, and it's grown boring again, so I haven't been playing in a while. I'll resume when I feel like it...

It was years since I last played through start to finish with no cheats, back before source ports came out, on a laptop with no sound card with just beeps for the sound effects.

I'm playing through the whole game again now just for fun, and I'm realizing that even though they're not terribly detailed, the original Doom2 maps are some of the most fun to play.

I've only played the first two levels of Doom II. I didn't bother playing any more cause those levels sucked.

I beat it on UV, a few times over. And I loved it. And I didn't find any particular level "boring" either.

Yeah I've completed it on UV, continuous run, several times. Tried it on Nightmare earlier today... Only managed to get up to Map02 :P I suck.

I recently completed the entire game on UV without getting hit once. I saved a lot, of corse, and I even had to exploit a few glitches such as on levels like "Bloodfalls" (Heh!!! YOU try figuring out how to get past the first part of that level! :-) )

I recently tried playing each level from scratch. I got to level 8. I find that method of playing extremely boring.