Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bthom

Where's the background music?

I just installed Ultimate Doom, Doom2, and Final Doom. Please note they were installed on a computer running Windows Me(Millenion Edition, Not XP). These are the only programs installed on the harddrive other than the operating system and device drivers. Windows Me was updated through the auto update application.All device drivers were updated to the most current versions. The sound card is a Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS platinum. The soundcard has been allocated IRQ 5 and there are no apparent conflicts (yellow exclamation points in device manager). The problem is when playing any of the games I get no background music. I do however get sound effects, gunshots, door opening, zombie grunts etc. I have adjusted the music volume slider all the way to the right to no avail. Oh yea, all three of the games are the Windows 95 versions. Whats interesting is that I did get game music at the game install screen before installing the games.
A couple of other problems I noticed is 1.) The mouse does not work even when checked in the configuration screen. 2.) I can't re-map any of the keyboard keys. I can input the keys I want but the changes don't work in game. Is Windows Me totally compatable with these games?
Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Thnx a bunch!

Windows Me is kind of stupid sometimes (compared to Windows 98) but I don't think it should itself have problems with Doom95. No clue why the music isn't coming up; it may be the way MIDI playback is set up to work, or some particular setting for the sound card. What kinds of mouse and keyboard are you using? Are they USB port based maybe? I've read Doom95 doesn't take those well.

The setup music is simply a MIDI file being played; not necessarily the same way Doom95 plays the music.

You may have to resort to a source hack under your circumstances; the ones that generally work best as ports for original game or standard wad playing are PrBoom and Eternity.

This may be because of your soundcard. I own a Live! card (and the installation CD for both Live! and Audigy is the same), and also can't get the midi music to work unless I'm in pure DOS (with emulation of SB16 initialized). Also, in Windows the game gets lagged before playing certain sounds, this is less noticeable in DOS. When I try hard to record a demo and can't get good results, I sometimes boot into DOS.

So, try booting to DOS, and if you hear both SFX and music, I think you can blame Creative for poor SB16 emulation. Note that in Boom 2.02, which is pretty close to the original (not counting the removed limits and missing ghosts), there aren't any problems with music, at least for me.

EDIT: heh, I missed the fact that you're running the 95 version. OK, don't boot to DOS :)

bthom said:

Oh yea, all three of the games are the Windows 95 versions.

That's probably why Doom95 is a bag of shit even on Windows95 Try using zdoom or prboom.

Donce said:
Also, in Windows the game gets lagged before playing certain sounds, this is less noticeable in DOS. When I try hard to record a demo and can't get good results, I sometimes boot into DOS.

I said on my Command Center page:
Note: I've found that Windows 98 doesn't manage memory very well, and even though DOOM is an old game and generally isn't a memory hog it may add up with other running applications, producing occasional jerky system slowdowns. A memory manager will get rid of these. I recommend this version of RAM Idle which is free and very effective.