Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bashe

54 PWADS for Doom

Is it normal to have 54 PWADS for Doom, making 56 wads all together (zdoom and doom2 are iwads)???

I think I have too many.

I've no idea what on earth you're talking about, but assuming this will become clear, I'm moving the thread to General.

For the common doomer, 54 sounds more like too little. My Doom2 directory, granted it needs to be cleaned out sometime, is 830 mb, filled up with many wads I've only played once just to check them out. I keep a selection of favorites in a different directory, just to have a more organized collection (over 180 zip files in there, and this is just for doom2).

I have well over 2.5 Gigs of Doom on my C Drive, about 1 Gig on my F Drive, and near a whole DVD of other PWADs I didn't have space for.
Of course, this isn't counting my CD's...

Doom dir is 144 megs
Doom2 dir is 606 megs
Heretic dir is 63 megs
Hexen dir is 39 megs

f:\games\doom2> dir

3835 File(s) 1,898,766,008 bytes
143 Dir(s) 5,771,583,488 bytes free

f:\games\doom2> dir *.wad

673 File(s) 1,416,708,398 bytes
0 Dir(s) 5,771,583,488 bytes free

Converted DOOMer said:

OMG i D//LED TEH ALL IDGAME ARCHIVEz 1584523616 GAZILLIONGIGABYTE LOLzZzZ

Actually it's not as big as you might expect. Smaller than my Doom2 folder in fact (which is 6.87 GB - 49,008 files).

Right now, I have 634 wad files laying around on my hard disks, which is 1.54 GB. Doom does take even more space, as there are much more than just wad files, ie. the highres textures alone take about 200 MB.
Also I have several CD's filled with Doom files.

boris said:

It's about damn time that ports support loading WADs from zip files.

jDoom and Risen3D do. ;) Unfortunately they may not be compressed. :(

LogicDeLuxe said:

Also I have several CD's filled with Doom files.
jDoom and Risen3D do. ;) Unfortunately they may not be compressed. :(

Then it's pretty useless. Except for storing a lot of single files in one file of course. But WADs can be compressed very good, so using compressed zips would save a lot of space. And writing code for reading uncompressed zips is not that hard, I' doing it in my game too.

Damn, and I thought I had too many.

I just don't want to have 8547980147081234709812892749102094 terrabytes of wads other wise if I have to use like 314108912374213 CDs to get them all.

I only have 5 Gb or so... I guess my stick is too short around you big boys.
then again, I have some ORGANIZATION as well.

Opulent said:

I only have 5 Gb or so...

ONLY?! Let me ask you something, where are you going to find the time to sit and play through 5 five gigs of Doom and Doom2 maps?

never. but I have them all at my fingertips in case I get around to playing them. :)
I download everything I'm interested in... I don't look at the internet as a library of information that is always accessible.
many great sites on the internet are completely gone... that tells me to store those files myself.
I'm more concerned with getting through the 100,000 demos I have first... then I'll work on the pwads. :P

Opulent said:

I download everything I'm interested in... I don't look at the internet as a library of information that is always accessible.
many great sites on the internet are completely gone... that tells me to store those files myself.

I know that. About half of my collection, I merely did a quick check on it, and if it looks interesting, I stored it somewhere waiting to be played through one day. ;) It sure is better than wanting to play them, and the files are gone.