Ouchface
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > What's the dealio........ ?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 13:06. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ViperBoy

I was just wondering why Qdoom was made ? Why can't that Edge guy just make some maps for Quake instead ? Worldcraft is much easier to use than any doom map editor.

And if any other game conversions exist: why ?????

I consider this a downgrade (except for Wolfendoom - which I don't necesarily like)

[ I don't mean to piss anyone off, or offend anybody ]

Old Post 08-30-01 22:11 #
ViperBoy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
læmænt
BAND

As I said alredy, in my opinion QDoom is the worst gameplay (Quake) combined with the worst graphics (Doom).

Old Post 08-30-01 22:16 #
læmænt is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Peter Heinemann
Marathon Man

As I said alredy, in my opinion QDoom is the worst gameplay (Quake) combined with the worst graphics (Doom).

Doom´s graphics are not worse! Especially in non OpenGL mode (software mode) they are still suitable for giving the most intensive game experience. The game profits from the non-realistic graphics since they underline the surrealism of the game. Too realistic graphics could also ruin the new Doom game.

Old Post 08-30-01 22:59 #
Peter Heinemann is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fanatic
Old Post 08-31-01 01:38
This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click [here]
Fanatic
Old Post 08-31-01 01:46
NiGHTMARE
Forum Legend

viperboy:

No, Worldcraft is NOT easier than any Doom level editor. Easier than SOME Doom editors maybe, but *******ely not all.

Obviously you've never tried much Doom editing, at least in a decent level editor.

Lament:

Yes, the Quake graphics engine is indeed supperior to Doom's. It's a shame that they wasted it, as the enemies, weapons, textures and other artwork in Doom is much, much better than the ugly brown crap that you'll find in Quake.

I guess you could say that QDoom is the worst gameplay (Quake) combined with the worst graphics (Quake)... no, wait, that's Quake, not QDoom!

But you'd still be wrong. The gameplay in QDoom is a lot different than the gameplay in Quake, as anyone who had actually played more than a few seconds of either would quickly realise.

Perhaps you should go and actually play Quake and QDoom before making any further comments?

Old Post 08-31-01 02:40 #
NiGHTMARE is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
pilottobombadier
Stained Class King

I don't need to play Qdoom to know that it's better than Quake, because the Doom engine is just better. Well, from gameplay perspective, anyways. I also hate quake, so meh. However...Fanatic has worked on QDoom for a looooong time, this we all know, unless you've never been to doomworld until a few months ago. So, I think that all complaints should be left aside for at least a bloody month, out of consideration, as well as appreciation. After all, Fanatic didn't HAVE to spend a couple years on that project.

Old Post 08-31-01 03:38 #
pilottobombadier is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
ShadyXMR
I'm a Slave 4 U

[ I don't mean to piss anyone off, or offend anybody ]

Around here you assume that risk each instance in which you activate your oral cavity.

Old Post 08-31-01 06:26 #
ShadyXMR is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
læmænt
BAND

Fingers.

Old Post 08-31-01 06:28 #
læmænt is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ralphis`
Loser

Fanatic. Although QDoom was a disapointment on my part (All the bad texture merging made it kinda impossible to play :(
I still want to say thanks for making it. You took a long hard time to make something that in my opinion (looks) great. Congrats and Thanks ^_^

Old Post 08-31-01 09:28 #
Ralphis` is offline Profile || Blog || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Naked Snake
HAHA I AM A FAG AND I CAN'T CHANGE THIS TITLE ANYMORE

I couldnt play (slow shitty comp) but I did play the demo and that ruled!

Old Post 08-31-01 09:34 #
Naked Snake is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Disorder
Boards of Canada

viperboy:

QDOOM was made because I wanted to. Is that so fucking hard to understand?

If you don't like it, don't fucking play it, go and play something else you like and leave me alone.

I have made is plenty clear as to WHY I made QDOOM, you must not know how to read or must be retarted and can't understand the words you are looking at.

Like I said before, stop complaining about what people make, and go make something yourself for everyone else to play! Otherwise, go fuck off!
Jesus christ. Viperboy said: "No offense..."

He's just asking............

Old Post 08-31-01 11:57 #
Disorder is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fanatic
Old Post 08-31-01 13:23
ViperBoy

As he said, I was just wondering. Now all you people are acting all aggresive towards me. And I have actually played Qdoom and found the gameplay to be fine.
And yes Fanatic, I AM working on my own mod, so you can't diss me on that part.

And I've tried lots of wad editors like Deep(sea), Waded, Wadauthor etc. and I still think that Worldcraft is much (ok, i change easier > better) better.

...and if you played my mod, I already know that it's more or less a piece of crap so you won't offend me by telling me it sucks!

Old Post 08-31-01 14:13 #
ViperBoy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
deadnail
i define my reality through misery

Well... I think QDoom completely suceeded at what it was intended to do. =)

As for ease of use... I dunno. Every editor seems to have some quirks to get used to, not necessarily the fault of the editor but the fault of the engine. You can do things in the Quake games that just aren't the same as they are in Unreal. Opinions over which editor are superior usually stem from which one you learned with, were taugh, or have had the least amount of negative experiences with.

But Worldcraft? Fuck that. =P

Old Post 09-01-01 07:04 #
deadnail is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
ViperBoy

I guess you can't really compare Worldcraft with editors like Deepsea and Waded, since Quake is in true 3D and Doom isn't

Old Post 09-01-01 08:43 #