Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomaddict

3ddownloads and the queue line

I just downloaded HacX (the legalized version) and I had to wait in a queue line for 24 minutes!

You had to race to become a member to avoid the queue, but I didn't make it (DUH!) and now whenever I want to download something from there I have to wait!

My question is when will the queue be eliminated. I think it is pointless. There are no queue lines in CNET's Download.com or other sites!

These are not decisions made by Doomworld. 3D Downloads is run by UGO (iirc). If you have issues, contact them.

This isn't really retarded. Anyway, think about it this way. They are sending you a file for free. The bandwith required to send it isn't free. Why bitch?

I hate the way 3ddownloads handles its downloads with that line/queue thing. I would rather do like sourceforge handles its downloads by giving you a list of mirrors and letting you pick one. I hate sites like 3ddownloads.

doomaddict said:

I just downloaded HacX (the legalized version) and I had to wait in a queue line for 24 minutes!

You had to race to become a member to avoid the queue, but I didn't make it (DUH!) and now whenever I want to download something from there I have to wait!

My question is when will the queue be eliminated. I think it is pointless. There are no queue lines in CNET's Download.com or other sites!

3DD is run by Telefragged (DW's host) not Doomworld. We have no access to it aside from being able to put files up there. You have to wait in a queue line because TF doesn't have unlimited bandwidth so in order to keep transfer speeds pretty fast they limit the number of people downloading (otherwise it would take you an hour to download the file, even longer than it took you to wait + download).

Sites like Gamespy, Fileshack and so on all use this method of a queue line for the very same reason. Often their lines are shorter because they have a lot more bandwidth (TF is a pretty rinky-dink operation compared to those sites) to give out.

If you don't want to wait on line, feel free to contribute money every month so we can set up a queue-free server. Otherwise, get in line and suck it up (clearly you don't have anywhere to go :P )