up arrow: move forward
down arrow: move backward
left arrow: turn left
right arrow: turn right
activate strafe: alt
open/activate: space
strafe left: ,
strafe right: .

I actually use those controls for Boom and Doom(2).exe. If a port has extra controls then I don't really know what those are bound to but the controls I listed are the doom(2).exe controls and basic source port controls.

Hey, I had to help a guy out. :)

Truly though - the very nature of id Software deals with customization. That is why they included a setup.exe where it gives you tons of options about how to control it.

There are default settings, but they never intended for a player to stick with them. It's not like you're getting a more authentic DOOM experience if you're using the default controls. That stuff is useless. In fact, the guys at id use their own configurations, too.

Gamefreak987 said:
But i want the controls you are supposed to use

To get the absolute defaults just launch Doom (if you don't have a copy get the DOS shareware,) and play around a bit. You should be able to set it up even on Windows XP (without sound, but that's good enough for what you're asking.)

If you mean what is possible, as opposed to the expanded configurations allowed on the many user-edited variations of the engine circulating on the web nowadays; check the file Setup.exe (included with the shareware) for what is possible and what isn't. Some of these settings may indeed make a difference in some maps, especially the functions that are totally impossible in the real game (such as jumping or freelook.)

This could be a legit question. I bought the Nostromo N52 speed pad and thought it would be nice to program it for doom, so i did, but found it better once i looked up the configuration online. I searched for it and was taken to some other forum with a similar post. Other than forward, back straffe and shoot, i wasnt aware of any other controls for doom. I read something here on these bords though about Jumping.. ?? Jumping? Like in Quake? I surely hope not, thats one of the main reasons i dont play online quake or unreal.CS too, i cant stand that bunny hoppin crap.

The game itself doesn't have jumping, except for horizontal jumping over distances like usual, but not upwards. Some of the engines based released by users after the source code became available added jumping up as an option. But it doesn't have the same effects as in the quake engine, so hopping just makes you look dumb (whereas in Quake you also gain speed.)

ok, but does that jumping benifit at all? And heres a question... has anyone made a mod that forces you to actually aim at the demon instead of just pointing in its general direction? Im so looking forward to that in D3.

Jumping and freelook certainly do affect the game; you can hop onto areas that would be off limits were jumping not available (or even onto the backs of a pack of Demons or such.) Freelook has a lesser effect overall, but can make a big difference in a few instances, like if you have to shoot a switch above that could only be aimed at from another location normally.

Jumping is useful, albeit considered cheating, in maps like Map03 (Gauntlet) and freelook (I call it mlook) is good for maps like Downtown (forgot the number right now), where all of those Imps are in those little holes behind the barriers. Some of them are so high up that you can't even see them in doom2.exe, making it hard to aim at them. Mlook allows you to get a clearer shot at them (and those demons on top of that tall building).