Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
apco25

Source code for small Microcontroller - Demo

Hello,

I am very new at this (I am a hardware guy), but I was wondering where I would look to get some guidence to do a doom demo on a small board running an embedded microcontroller. I do not want to run an OS, just compile a doom version to target the controller (i.e.) Microblaze. I know I would have to manage the memory map etc...I have a demo board I want to run this on. The amount of RAM is fairly small so an OS would not be practical. I have access to limited sound and Video (there is a "pong" demo for this board). I know people have ported doom to different platforms with limited recources. Any guidence would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Apco25

Actually, assuming that the controller you describe is capable of running Doom it should be fairly straightforward. The game is split into system-specific and system-nonspecific sections. All you need to do is implement the system-specific part for the board you're using (The I_* files).

Memory management isnt actually an issue because Doom already has its own memory management system. Just point the Zone Memory Allocator (z_zone.c) at a block of memory to use. and tell it how big it is.

Fraggle,

Thanks so much for the reply. I really appreciate it. Now, I have more newbie questions. I am sorry if these are so new that I sound like an idiot... I am a fast learner however. I saw the downloads page, but it seemed the source was specific to certain OSes. So, here are my questions:

1). Is there a general overview on how to compile the code... Like you say the I_* files. Maybe a FAQ or paper. With source?
2). Where can I get the code that would work for this... (sorry for this lame question)

I will continue to look for this as well.

Thanks again!