Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bartwart

D! Zone

Does anyone remember this?

I bought it back in 1994 and I just found disks while looking through my stuff. I'm installing it right now.

Share your fond D! Zone memories here.

I got that a long time ago. I was under the impression that it came with a level editor though...maybe it did and I never found it. Anyways, it was enjoyable. I really liked the castle phobos wad, with all it's delightful graphics replacements and new weapons. Then there was another with funny sound replacements, C3P0 saying "we're doomed" when there's an explosion, when you killed the cyberdemon it played "CLANG Bring out yer dead!" I should see if I still have that thing around here somewhere.

Edit: Well, I found my demons gate cd, over 600 new levels for doom and doom II, maybe that's what I was thinking of. But I'm damn sure I had D!zone too. Some more looking I guess.

Ages ago, I bought something called "D!1000". It contained D!Zone and 1000 levels for Doom and Doom2. Many of them were trash, but it was the first time I was confronted with custom levels. That was awesome! It also included a THING editor, so I would randomize the monsters in the game, like, putting 3 Barons in E1M1 and a Cyberdemon in almost every level and so, I randomized all the levels and called that "ROTTEN MEAT" and it was damn hard and damn funny in Coop!

Heh, I bought a few *!* cd's for $1 each. Damn them and their "simulated" screenshots on the back of the boxes!

Anyway I've gotten all for cheap (well except for Alchemy and Master Levels):
D!Zone Gold
D!Match
H!Zone
The Ultimate Add-on Collection for Doom/Doom II (also released as DeathDay)
DemonGate
Tricks of the Doom Gurus (cd version that contains electronic version of book)
3D Game Alchemy with huge book
Master Levels (funny enough the mostly poorly organized cd of all with 99% of a text files missing and forget about any other required files like deh patches).

I got most of these before I had an internet connection.

I bought D! Zone 2 somewhat recently, for nostalgias sake. I spent a dollar on it. I ended up smashing the CD in my door. What a waste of a dollar.

I didn't see "Simulated screenshot" until I took it home. I wanted to copy the textures. :(

Deathmatcher said:

Ages ago, I bought something called "D!1000". It contained D!Zone and 1000 levels for Doom and Doom2. Many of them were trash, but it was the first time I was confronted with custom levels. That was awesome! It also included a THING editor, so I would randomize the monsters in the game, like, putting 3 Barons in E1M1 and a Cyberdemon in almost every level and so, I randomized all the levels and called that "ROTTEN MEAT" and it was damn hard and damn funny in Coop!

Heh, I've got that. But I just played the maps and didn't bother with the randomise thingy.

I've seen D!Zone and Masters Levels offered for cheap on EBay. Are any of them worth the few bucks plus shipping, or should I just be happy with what is available in the ID archives?

If you're just looking for good wads, then you're better off browsing the archive, or other online wad libraries.

If you're a wad collector of some sort, or you're looking for specific old wads that you liked and can't locate any more, then you might want to pick up these old compilations.

I played the BITEDUST.WAD last night and for the music they used the midi version of Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust." That's cutting edge stuff in 1994.

I have "Wads of WADs" and "Doom Heaven II", as well as several PC Zone cover CDs with large wad collections on them.

The PCZ CDs have quite a few good wads which weren't ever uploaded to the internet. I really should go through them sometime... :)

I'm suprised no one mentioned Deathmatch: The ultimate players kit, Over 7000 new levels, as the cd cover reads. It was a 2 cd set just full of stuff, I probably didn't look at much more than a quarter of it.

Anyone remember the anime level from DZone? It had a lot of Bubblegum Crisis sprite replacements and even the status bar was different...that was a fun wad.

Grazza said:

If you're just looking for good wads, then you're better off browsing the archive, or other online wad libraries.

Seconded.
Excuse my rude hyperbole, but who the fuck would WASTE MONEY on wads when You have thousands to download of them for FREE from the archives. o_O_O_o

Revenant100 said:

What are the Lost Episodes?

You'll find info in these threads and, e.g., here.

Note that using the Search Forums feature will often provide answers to frequently-asked questions like this.

Nmn said:

Seconded.
Excuse my rude hyperbole, but who the fuck would WASTE MONEY on wads when You have thousands to download of them for FREE from the archives. o_O_O_o

In my own personal defence, when I bought the compilations CDs, I didn't have an internet connection :).

Nmn said:
but who the fuck would WASTE MONEY on wads when You have thousands to download of them for FREE from the archives.

Someone collecting DOOM map compilations.

One of the most interesting thing about d!zone was that the front end allowed you to randomize monsters. I remember playing doom 2 with all zombies. It was pretty cool and by far the best feature of d!zone.

Two of my favorite levels in d!zone, were dead base and mnt of fire. Both of which had some pretty cool (for the time) intergration of storyline into the levels and the mnt even had some cool cave ins that were the closest I've ever seem to doom engine scripting (again at the time, you can do some crazy stuff with boom and the likes).

I got D!Zone when I was a kid, for some reason expecting a level editor (and yeah, those "simulated screenshots" were a real swindle) and was greatly disappointed. Still, the item randomiser was great for having 6 cyberdemon matches in the courtyard of map18. Bizarrely, I doubt I could manage that fight with the double barrel now despite using the keyboard back then.

i found my demon gate CD, has 6000 wads for doom and doom II. most are trash, and i mean trash. some even look like test maps for showing off effects and ideas. i remember one really bad one that showed a doom bug. "amanda.wad" showed what happened when you had too much on the screen. another also showed me for the first time the voodoo doll effect.
i have D! zone too and another i stole from this woman. the cover was really really bad. looked like a 10 year old made it in MS pain and printed it out on a inkjet, infact i think it was printed on an inkjet. anyways it came with loaders and a few editors. i think she must have picked it up at a computer show

Nmn said:

Seconded.

The guy who used to do /oldstuff Chronicles, for one; based upon those alone, you'd think those old CDs are a veritable treasure trove of hard-to-find goodies. But no, that Dixon guy was a total prick and nobody liked /oldstuff Chronicles anyway, so... who the fuck, indeed?

Sheesh.

Applying a litmus test for irony,
M.

PS. Derek, stop laughing.

The D!ZONE disc was arguably worth it just for the excellent D! frontend, developed by Simply Silly Software, which included the level randomizer, wad reorganizer (let you dynamically build new wads out of existing ones), text file viewer, and other stuff all in one relatively well-working program. It did have a 620kb memory limit and thus could run out of memory when trying to list large file directories, but it was still nice.

Unfortunately, it will not run on fast computers. A tech guy for the company that made it told me a few years ago that it could be fixed by using one of those TSR programs that make DOS run really slow, but I think that might affect DOOM adversely too, which would make it useless, so I've not personally tried it.

M8. said:

But no, that Dixon guy was a total prick and nobody liked /oldstuff Chronicles anyway, so... who the fuck, indeed?

Matt Dixon I presume? Unfortunately I don't know what are the /oldstuffs You mentioned, but using phrase "used to" I assume You're referring to the past.

I asked in relation to the current time.
Ofcourse one would buy CD's with wads IN THE PAST, but TODAY, we have most of them in /idgames that's just a couple clicks away.

But Sheesh nevertheless.

Quasar said:

The D!ZONE disc was arguably worth it just for the excellent D! frontend, developed by Simply Silly Software, which included the level randomizer, wad reorganizer (let you dynamically build new wads out of existing ones), text file viewer, and other stuff all in one relatively well-working program. I

exactly, that D!
i remember it was pretty useful, as i had no clue what i was doing with it... :p