Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Combustable

Doom movie, The Rock, and all that

Somewhat small news I suppose, but if no one noticed, on The Daily Show The Rock was on, for that new movie, Be Cool. (Which on a side note, I do want to see) and on the show, the doom movie was mentioned, and a few details were revealed, if all was true. Since it's coming straight from his mouth, on TV, I think it is.

1. The Rock IS doomguy

2. Coming out in August

3. BFG will apparently be used (Called the 'bio force gun' rather the theories most of us are used to)

Though no mention was made of all these various rumors about it not involving hell and blah de blah. So that's still up in the air but... This made me a bit giddy, to say the least.

I saw that too.Rock looks like he's lost some weight.He said the movie would be out in Augest.

insertwackynamehere said:

wait the rock is Doomguy? when did that happen?

When he signed his name on the contract?

Combustable said:

3. BFG will apparently be used (Called the 'bio force gun' rather the theories most of us are used to)

I though that was what the debunked rumour called it? I haven't really been following...

Anyway, if it is called that, then thats just dumb. Everyone knows what BFG stands for. I knew when I was 10 and still said the word "crap" under my breath. It's not like they have to spell it out loud or anything, just... arrrgh. It's like giving someone a nod while pissing in their sock drawer.

Since it's been officially confirmed that John Grimm/Karl Urban is the main character in the movie, there are three possibilities regarding the Doom Guy:

- The Rock got confused. John Grimm/Karl Urban & the Doom Guy are one and the same, as most people have always assumed.

- The Rock was correct. However, the Doom Guy isn't the main character in the film. Rather, he plays the leader/advisor to a team of marines/soldiers, of which Karl Urban's character is a member. This would imply the movie is set some time after Doom 3.

- The Rock was correct. Karl Urban was originally intended to be the Doom Guy, but for whatever reason the studio/director/tea boy decided to change things around. The Rock is now the main character, and Karl Urban plays a secondary role.

BTW you really think a company would create a weapon and officially name it the "Big Fucking Gun"? Somehow I think BFG would have originally stood for something else, and the meaning we all know and love would be merely a nickname, coined by one or more soldier who'd seen/used it.

NiGHTMARE said:
BTW you really think a company would create a weapon and officially name it the "Big Fucking Gun"?

Yes, I fully believe that one of the guys at id stood up and said something like "Well we have pretty much every basic firearm type covered, we even have a futuristic energy weapon. And that chainsaw, shit that makes me laugh every time I use it. But what we really need to put the icing on the cake is one big motherfucker of a gun - something that clears everything in the room including the room itself. The Big Fucking Gun 9000 or something."*

*dramatisation

The BFG will probably be refered to by the Marines as the Big Fuckin Gun. It'll probably go something like this:

Scientist: "And this is our new Bio Force Gun, the pinacle of our weapons reaseach."

Marine: "Bio Force Gun? Just looks like a big fuckin' gun to me."

chilvence said:

Yes, I fully believe that one of the guys at id stood up and said something like...

I was referring to a fictional arms manufacturer in the Doom universe responsible for the creation of the weapon, rather than the real life computer games developer who made the game :).

Well then, I refer to my original point that they never actually have to spell out what BFG stands for.

NiGHTMARE said:

I was referring to a fictional arms manufacturer in the Doom universe responsible for the creation of the weapon, rather than the real life computer games developer who made the game :).

Not if it's PG 13.

They can have "fuck" in PG13. Heck, they showed a 16 year old's breasts in a PG movie 40 years ago, so if they cant say the "f" word then someone needs to straighten thier priorities out.

Heck, they showed a 16 year old's breasts in a PG movie 40 years ago

WHAT

ravage said:

Not if it's PG 13.

Eh? PG 13's can't have weapons made by fictional arms manufacturers?

Heck, they showed a 16 year old's breasts in a PG movie 40 years ago, so if they cant say the "f" word then someone needs to straighten thier priorities out.

Are you talking about Romeo and Juliet? If so, I think the rating system was very different back in the late 60's, so it's really not a fair comparison.

And Romeo and Juliet was originally rated G. :P

And on topic, I think PG-13 movies can have one utterance of the word "fuck", but no more.

I'd like to see guts 'n gore and boobies, and hear "Shit, piss, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, tits, turd, twat, but this PG-13 BS wouldn't suprise me the least.

Did some one say breasts...

heh, I'll watch this movie for novelty and cheap thrills.

They can have "fuck" in PG13. Heck, they showed a 16 year old's breasts in a PG movie 40 years ago, so if they cant say the "f" word then someone needs to straighten thier priorities out.

pg-13 hasn't been around that long though

Revenant100 said:

Are you talking about Romeo and Juliet? If so, I think the rating system was very different back in the late 60's, so it's really not a fair comparison.

You guessed it :P However, even if the rating system was different, it's weird that while underage nudity was probably more acceptable back then, regular nudity is probably more acceptable now, while underage nudity would be more shunned. Kind of weird. And of course, underage is all relative. However, this really isnt on topic, so whatever :P

How the MPAA rates movies: http://www.mpaa.org/movieratings/about/index.htm

Stealthy Ivan said:

plus the rock is very fitting for the space marine...

hhahahaa! haha! hahahaha!!!!

wooo-wee! thanks for brightening up a rather dull day for me. Thank you!

Heck, they showed a 16 year old's breasts in a PG movie 40 years ago.

Heh I remember that. We watched the old version of Romeo and Juliet in English I last year. Man that teacher was cool, unlike most teachers who just fast forward he just said if you are offended by scenes like this put your head down.

hmm, strange. Our teacher used to fast forward to those scenes and play them over and over.

chilvence said:

I though that was what the debunked rumour called it? I haven't really been following...

Anyway, if it is called that, then thats just dumb. Everyone knows what BFG stands for. I knew when I was 10 and still said the word "crap" under my breath. It's not like they have to spell it out loud or anything, just... arrrgh. It's like giving someone a nod while pissing in their sock drawer.

LOL! That's exactly what it's like!

BFG stands for Big Fraggin' Gun. "Big Fucking Gun" is it's nick name meaning. It's official, id meaning is "Big Fraggin' Gun" Come on, people. Everyone should know this!

NiGHTMARE, I couldn't make heads or tales of what you were talking about regarding Urban and The Rock's role. How can there be two main guys? There's the doom guy and... that's it. It seems they have taken too many liberties with the game. Personally, I'd rather see Karl Urban play the Doomguy more than The Rock, but The Rock might be able to rock it.

According the Jon Stewart interview, movie is rated R.

The script shoulda gone something like this: "And here, boys, we have the BFG 9000!"

"What does BFG stand for?"

"Honestly? It stands for Big Fucking Gun, but all the UAC tightwads call it 'The Bio-Force Gun'. I say call it what it is."

Not really; the fragging thing was added as a euphemism in the releases that included that PDF or Help-file documentation, which the distributors wrote, when the game was getting older and becoming, comparatively in relation to newer games, something your younger brother might play. The id guys themselves originally called it the Big Fucking Gun.

Hellbent said:

NiGHTMARE, I couldn't make heads or tales of what you were talking about regarding Urban and The Rock's role. How can there be two main guys? There's the doom guy and... that's it. It seems they have taken too many liberties with the game. Personally, I'd rather see Karl Urban play the Doomguy more than The Rock, but The Rock might be able to rock it.

I'm saying the "Doom guy" isn't neccessarily the central character in the film. He could play an advisory or command role instead.

Or to put it another way, the Rock might play the marine from Doom 3, but the film could be a "sequel" to Doom 3 centred around a new main character, with the old character from Doom3 playing a secondary role.

myk said:
in the releases that included that PDF or Help-file documentation, which the distributors wrote, when the game was getting older and becoming, comparatively in relation to newer games, something your younger brother might play.

This part seems to be my imagination at work; those didn't really specify what it meant, just like id's earlier help files... but friggin' or fraggin' was used by people (such as in the documentation of a wad or an editing tool) guessing or not wanting to say fuck.

myk said:

Not really; the fragging thing was added as a euphemism in the releases that included that PDF or Help-file documentation, which the distributors wrote, when the game was getting older and becoming, comparatively in relation to newer games, something your younger brother might play. The id guys themselves originally called it the Big Fucking Gun.

Ok, fair enough. Still Fraggin' would have been closer to the truth than Bio-Force.