Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bashe

Doom sound format

For Vanilla Doom, was it possible to go above 11,025 kHz 8-bit mono? The sound of items respawning was actually 22,050 and it still played. Can you go over 11,025 kHz without causing a problem?

I don't think that this can really work flawlessly with vanilla Doom. But you might take an experimental risk and see for yourself.

However, with a source-port like ZDOOM or JDOOM, there should be no problems at all. Cause a year ago, I've released my own sound effects WAD which used really high Hertz rates, and it didn't work in vanilla at all. It only worked with those ports.
All that you heard in vanilla was really harsh static.

most windows sourceports using either openAL or direct media/audio should basicly be able to play any size.

Most source ports are able to play WAV files directly so there is really no need to bother with any conversion.

Okay. Thanks.

The only reason I was asking was because I thought some ports could not play sounds higher that 11025 or 22050 khz. So if I were to let people play my wad, they would be all "zomg wtf zdoom only omg nazi." Now I know more ports support higher khz wavs.