Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pete The Padre

Most Memorable Doom Experience

One of my memorable experiences was trying to finish Doom 2 with my friend in one day when I was about 8. I would play one level and he the next one and so on. Even with the almighty god mode on we couldn't finish it because some of the levels were so 'complicated', but nowadays I am able to finish Doom 2 multiple times a day with god mode on and a little less times without cheats.

Odd Eye said:
nowadays I am able to finish Doom 2 multiple times a day with god mode on

Well, congrats on that "achievement". Ever tried playing a game first?

After figuring out the strategy in Plutonia map7 first area with a pistol start. I thought I was free and then the archviles came. After getting burned I was down to 40 health and ran like hell for the exit. Only to find the 2 chaingunners and no time to switch guns. A rocket blast left me with 2 health and I finally beat it.
I was all like holy crap 2 health left.

Odd Eye said:

but nowadays I am able to finish Doom 2 multiple times a day.

OMG LIEK I CNA COMPLETE DEWM 2 100 TIMES A DAI WITH IDCLEV LOL I'M 1337.

TheDarkArchon said:

OMG LIEK I CNA COMPLETE DEWM 2 100 TIMES A DAI WITH IDCLEV LOL I'M 1337.

No need to muck about with cheat codes. Just use this deh patch:

Patch File for DeHackEd v3.0

# Note: Use the pound sign ('#') to start comment lines.

Doom version = 19
Patch format = 6

Pointer 6 (Frame 10)
Codep Frame = 783
Guaranteed 30nm-000.

Aaaah, I can almost taste the sweet nostalgia. Anyway fond memories….. I remember always staring at the Phobos mountains/landscape and getting feelings of nostalgia for some reason. Also the pinky demons where the only monsters that truly freaked me out when I was younger because I remember when I played Toxin refinery for the first time and totally shat my shants after seeing the invisible demon. Like many posters stated, they have fond memories of playing doom when they were younger and I’m no exception. I remember going to Edinburgh once a month to visit my dads friend who ran an internet Café – this was back in ’97 I think – and we would play DM Doom with him, his son, me and my Dad. Strange I’m 15 but would do anything to go back to that time when I was 4, 5, 6 or 7 and been able to revel in how good I actually had it.*sigh* Being older sucks >.>

my memorable experience was probably when i first played the shores of hell on ultra violence for the first time. I remember running into all the zombiemen and fighting them untill i was dead

lol but the point was I trying to make was that you find being 15 is not really all it's cracked up to be. Mind you, most things are like that. Why am I so pessimistic today? :$

I remember i used to play Doom constantly when i was about five.

i used to enjoy watching my grandfather play, watching in awe as numorous demons fell before his unstoppable onslaught. demons, arch-viles, zombies. all were no match for him. when he finished i would come in and do my dirty work as i loaded the game, my little five-year-old hands trembling with anticipation. I entered the realm of doom hearing the music playing as it started. i'd play 'till i got bored, which wasn't unusual, also i would have enjoyed a good nights sleep, leaving the creatures of doom in the game where they belong, not in my dreams.

if it wasn't doom i was playing, it was heretic. i could go on playing that game for hours. to me there was no end of the game. i would simply start another new game. i would always try to copy the game demos for some strange reason. starting how they started, dying how they died.

My first Doom experience is also one of my most cherised memories. Ahh, sweet nostalgia... It was december '93, my mother and I were doing some late Xmas shopping at the local shopping centre, and we passed one of the computer shops with a big open front. They had maybe four or five pc's facing the front of the store with the Doom menu playing on every one. I still can't describe the excitement I felt, the immediate realisation that I MUST play this game. The graphics, the sounds... (strangely, I can still remember everything about the first time I laid eyes upon those pc's) I convinced mother that my cousins would love this game (they had just up graded from a Commodore 64 to a 386) so we bought it. The next day, Xmas eve, The four of us, my 3 cousins and I, managed to convince our respective parents to allow us to open one present each at the stroke of midnight. One of my cousins had recieved an M&M dispenser, and several packs of peanut M&M's, and we sat up the whole night, the whole of next day and into the next playing Doom and eating peanut M&M's. To this day, I still can't eat a peanut M&M without being forcefully thrust back to the age of 12, the sites and smells, the excitement of Xmas, sitting in my cousin's upstairs loft playing the greatest game EVER made. That's the kind of memory you take with you to the grave. Good times...

Wow, that was heart wrenching. My most memorable Doom experience was playing while stoned. But it was late at night, every one was sleeping, and I was playing one of the more creepy maps. Can't tell you the name of the map, but there's a mega sphere(the blue face) in a dark room on top of a post. When you're going down the dark hallway, imps come out of nowhere and start hissing and throwing fireballs. That scared the shit out of me, I woke my dog up because I yelled so loud like a little biaaatch.

Wow, it's funny how some memories can trigger others. I remember coming home from an all night party in a paddock somewhere, I would of been 15 or 16, more then a little drunk, and coming down from an acid trip. That night, a fellow Doom freak had givin' me my first Doom cheat, idclip. That morning I literally sat there just pressing the forward arrow and watching the graphics distort and morph and pitch and sway and who nows what else. It was E1M1 on Doom 2, still one of my nostalgic fave's. That was the same morning I actually figured out that, if you turned left instead of jumping straight down the ledge, you could find the chainsaw and get some serious chopping time. *Sigh* to be a kid in the nineties again...

The first time I played Doom I had purchased the Shareware version (sometime in 1995, I think) and I really didn't know anything about it. I'd seen a few screenshots and pictures of monsters, but that was it. I think on my first run through I made it to the Toxin Refinery before falling into the big nukage pit at the start of the level and dying. When I'd gotten ahold of some of the cheat codes, I sat down with a friend and we played through the whole episode for a few hours. I think one of us was pressing the movement keys while the other was the gunman.

I remember the first time we encountered a demon in the grey maze area of E1M4 and we were both sort of freaked out by it because it wouldn't go down as easily as the imps and former troopers we'd been used to capping before. I also remember finding the invisibility orb in Central Processing (the secrets in this level were so rewarding to find) and then catching sight of our first spectre. We both shouted something like "It's invisibile!" at the same time. That really freaked me out, because while I'd seen pictures of demons and cacodemons before, I wasn't expecting anything like that, and I sort of wondered if there would be any other partially invisible monsters to fight.

E1M7 proved to be quite brutal at the time, but we made our way through that and found the last level. Oh man, was that scary as hell the first time through! The music, the ominous look of the place, the torches, long stretching corridors, enigmatic layout (from viewing the computer map and having no idea what that star was all about). The two barons scared the crap out of me. Our first instinct was to stand still and alternate shooting both of them with the chaingun (which is a really crappy tactic even against weak monsters), which got us killed pretty quickly. So we reloaded, typed IDDQD (for the first time) and chainsawed one to death in it's little cubby-hole. Later on, of course, I did learn to beat the barons without cheating, but still usually came out rather beat up (at this point I'd learned to use the rocket launcher, but still didn't think to run out of the way).

I was a little more seasoned by the time I got the Ultimate Doom, but that quickly proved to be a bit harder than episode 1. Episode 2 is still probably my favorite classic Doom episode. I've always found something disturbing about the atmosphere. The weird mixture of tech and hellish themes, where some rooms looked relatively normal and others were completely FUBARed, and the dark and foreboding sky all combined to give me a sense of two meshing worlds. I really did feel like I was exploring a derelict base that had been sucked into Hell. All of the levels were distinctive, but the two areas that stand out as being the creepiest in my mind are the crate maze in E2M2 and the long twisting corridors in E2M7.

In this respect I found episode 3 (with the exception of the first few levels) to be somewhat disappointing because this time around I knew what to expect. Playing E3M1 on Ultraviolence was a pretty nasty challenge, though. It's strange that I can say that the first level of that episode is the hardest.

But playing Doom for the first time is, if you'll forgive the analogy, like losing one's virginity, because it can't be regained by any means short of amnesia. That is not to say that I enjoy the game less after playing it for 10 years, only that it can never seem new to me again. This game has carved a niche into my subconscious now.

Doom is the worst game ever. The only thing i remember is uninstalling it.

I mean *seriously* Who wants to run around mindlessly blasting demons for fun? Wtf kinda game is that? And who cares that the mapping takes creativity due to limits and is a major accomplishment to create one that is good? BIG WHOOP. I would rather play Dig Dug.

*seriously* just think about it.

Th0r said:

I mean *seriously* Who wants to run around mindlessly blasting demons for fun? Wtf kinda game is that? And who cares that the mapping takes creativity due to limits and is a major accomplishment to create one that is good? BIG WHOOP. I would rather play Dig Dug.

*seriously* just think about it.

Why did you even register Doom World if you hate Doom?

EDIT: Btw I am pretty sure everyone on the forums would like mindlessly blasting demons then mindlessly digging holes. :)

Watching my Dad play when I was 5. Except I didn't know the game was called Doom back then, I just called it Wolfenstein 2. I didn't even know what everything was either. I called the rad suit, dad's suit (My Dad worked at a hospital and it looked like the clothing he had to wear while he was on duty)
I didn't even know the zombies were zombies! The funny thing is, even though Doom scared a lot of people, it didn't scare me at all.

Th0r said:

Doom is the worst game ever. The only thing i remember is uninstalling it.

SURPRISE!!!! Hey, there's an oddity: you can't uninstall Doom 1 or 2 or 95. You just delete it. Hey even more, maybe you were referring to Doom 3. I'm not surprised to hear people hate Doom 3. A best game can be worst game, I assume.

Ive been playing doom since I was 4 and its still teh best game eva.

My most memorable moment was when I watched the Doom Movie, it was awesome.

Ebon said:

SURPRISE!!!! Hey, there's an oddity: you can't uninstall Doom 1 or 2 or 95. You just delete it. Hey even more, maybe you were referring to Doom 3. I'm not surprised to hear people hate Doom 3. A best game can be worst game, I assume.

LOL, i was obviously joking.

Craigs said:

even though Doom scared a lot of people, it didn't scare me at all.

What I can't belive that. DooM3 I understood, but DooM1!!! Remember DooM3 manual warning:

A NOTE OF CAUTION:

DOOM 3 IS A TERRIFYING SCI-FI HORROR GAME EXPERIENCE. IT IS NOT RECOMENDED FOR THE COWARDLY OR THE FAINT OF HEART. HOWEVER. FOR THOOSE WHO DARE TO FACE DOOM 3 AS IT WAS INTENDED: LOCK YOUR DOOR. TURN OF THE LIGHTS, AND TURN UP YOUR SOUND.

ENJOY DOOM 3.

What's so scary about playing at night, locking yourself in your room? You're safely locked from your mother yelling at you to go to sleep, so really it ISN'T scary.

printz said:

What's so scary about playing at night, locking yourself in your room? You're safely locked from your mother yelling at you to go to sleep, so really it ISN'T scary.

Wel I have a dog who likes sneak around. Then it like to make same noise than that flying baby. (Im not remember its name right now.)
Same whisperin sounds and that is little bit scary.

I was so scraed if I firstly play Doom 2. New monsters such as Revanent and Arch - Vile. There are many monsters who are ugly. That make me don't play Doom until 2005

Now I don't afraid to them.One day, I played with 5 Doomers from Taiwan in Cooporation. It is exciting!!