Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

DOOM LIES!

pritch said:

Anyway religion and computer games rarely make good bedfellows, if that's a suitable way of putting it.

Funny you should say that, because the whole reason I stopped considering myself a member of the Catholic church was when they banned DOOM....it opened my eyes to a lot of absurdity.

I personally think the idea behind Doom should be given it's proper due by religion. You kill the minions of Hell, destroy Satan, and save mankind. The logic is undeniable.

I'm actually a devout Mormon, and I've been playing Doom since I was nearly 12, perhaps earlier. I still go to church when I can, and do all that good stuff. If there's one beef I have with Doom, it's that I don't like the Satanic imagerey, like inverted crosses (in fact, I took that out of E2M1 when I first got DoomCADr).

But there are people who have reacted quite badly to me playing Doom. I've gotten several comments like "You're Mormon and you play *gasp* that game?" It's almost funny. I actually almost got into an argument with my principal when I went to this private school. That guy, as good a person as he is, was a nutcase sometimes...

Anyway, done blabbering. Sorry for wasting your connection speed.

Who in the hell was rating DOOM at GameFAQs? More questions, WHAT WERE THEY SMOKING? DOOM is the best game ever! John Carmack and friends did a GREAT job, and kudos to them, they've set off a world wide phenomenen. If you think DOOM deserves a 0/10 for gameplay, I think you'd better stick to your Atari.

-Miles the Cy-Fox

my new favorite Doom lie (and it isn't religion-related either!) is the movie critics and people in the media who have said that the Doom movie will only be liked by its fans...

LOL.

Miles Unit 001 said:

If you think DOOM deserves a 0/10 for gameplay, I think you'd better stick to your Atari.

The problem was the opposite: The guy is bred on modern games and has no taste as a result.

Infurnus said:

I guess christians don't like killing demons... they'd rather kill Hugo Chavez.

quoted for truth

Caligari_87 said:

I personally think the idea behind Doom should be given it's proper due by religion. You kill the minions of Hell, destroy Satan, and save mankind. The logic is undeniable.

I'm actually a devout Mormon, and I've been playing Doom since I was nearly 12, perhaps earlier. I still go to church when I can, and do all that good stuff. If there's one beef I have with Doom, it's that I don't like the Satanic imagerey, like inverted crosses (in fact, I took that out of E2M1 when I first got DoomCADr).

But there are people who have reacted quite badly to me playing Doom. I've gotten several comments like "You're Mormon and you play *gasp* that game?" It's almost funny. I actually almost got into an argument with my principal when I went to this private school. That guy, as good a person as he is, was a nutcase sometimes...

Anyway, done blabbering. Sorry for wasting your connection speed.

actually there seems to be a lot of mormons who play doom, and a mormon even helped design it

insertwackynamehere said:

actually there seems to be a lot of mormons who play doom, and a mormon even helped design it

Really? Who? I never heard that.

Caligari_87 said:

Aha! Thank you. This should prove to be an interesting conversation topic among my friends and family...

Just don't mention his maps in Doom. You might be kicked out of your house.

For my birthday way back in the mid 90's and when I was a wee lad, my dad allowed me to pick one game to buy. I had Doom 2, and I wanted to get the Ultimate Doom, but a friend of mine lied and said that it had nudity in it.

Yeah, he sounds like a dick. Wanna know the kicker? He did that just so I could get Duke Nukem 3D instead. That was pretty cool of him if you ask me.

Jimi said:

Wow, that christian site actually gave a pretty good review about Deus Ex, but they said 4 different endings? I only found 3 different and yea... getting yourself killed... maybe that's the 4th ending in it. Or could you have stayed as an UNATCO agent and not join the terrorists and save the world from the conspiracy behind UNATCO?

The forth ending isn't really an ending, it's the "dance party" easter egg cutscene.

Gattsu said:

I found a huge lie off of the Doom movie's web site.

http://photobucket.com/albums/c296/UAC_Demon_Slayer/?action=view¤t=DoomLie.jpg

hehehe....lol..too true. I think this verges on the well loved topic of video games and violence. Doom is a game where you run around killing monsters of hellish origin. You save mankind, and in the process kick some ass. And for some reason people have trouble that a still popular game to this day follows those rules. Doom books got rid of hell, and Doom movie got rid of hell. But there is nothing wrong with it, it doesn't offend anyone. And that fucked up site who was offended, well Ive got a special edition of Ultimate Doom, and im willing to happily lose it as i hand it to them and tell them right where to shove it.

As a committed Christian (and a former player of this game), I see nothing at all constructive in going round a 3D maze overloaded with satanic symbolism shooting people for no good reason. True, we should take a stand against the kingdom of darkness as children of light but the weapons we should use are not those of this world - where does using a shotgun to blast away demons figure in God's plan? I see absolutely no constructive Christian purpose for playing this game, nothing good at all can come from this, it should be avoided at all costs and so too should its sequels which are far worse! (Doom is quite mild compared to some of the recent offerings from ID - Doom II, Quake etc and of course Quake 3 which I would utterly condemn! My Ratings: [1/3]

Oh god that's funny. These "Cristians" have not read the bible very much. If they had, they'd know that some of God's actions haven't been benificial to everyone *cough* Tale of Noah's Ark* *cough* Massive murder of children and adults alike *cough*

More importantly, Doom wasn't just some mindless shooter with no meaning to it. It was an epic tale about a lone marine racing against the clock to save all of humanity from the ultimate enemy: The devil himself.
After "O of Destruction" it shows that text cutscene in which your character "sits down and waits to die".
Again, symbolism.
It represents your character's ultimate sacrifice. His life for those of all the people flying to the safety of space.

So, what are you supposed to do if not to shoot the demons? Stand there and read out of the bible until the demons rip your arms off?

These "Christians' reviews of games" is a perfect example of why I loathe christians. They see anything new or different as "Evil" and "TEH DEVUL!!1". They confuse fact with fiction and occasionally make up the fictional parts. Doom was not a "Simple shoot em' up" Nick. It forced the player to recognize patterns, to know when to use which weapon, and to identify traps and find ways to avoid or escape them.

These hardcore Christians seem to think that if something doesn't have a direct Christian purpose to it, it's not worth having anything to do with, be it music, video games, magazines, movies, books, art, pretty much any form of media or entertainment.

Craigs said:

These "Christians' reviews of games" is a perfect example of why I loathe christians. They see anything new or different as "Evil" and "TEH DEVUL!!1". They confuse fact with fiction and occasionally make up the fictional parts. Doom was not a "Simple shoot em' up" Nick. It forced the player to recognize patterns, to know when to use which weapon, and to identify traps and find ways to avoid or escape them.

Heh, you're painting a whole mass of people with the same brush. The Christians you're against are known as "Fundimentalists". I'm a Christian and I love this game, and I know a whole whack of others who don't care whether I play it or not. It's only the Fundimentalists who act so anal about games like DOOM.

I don't understand the beef with the satanic imagery in Doom.

If you follow the logic, bad things came from hell and you kill them (saving mankind). The bad things brought their corruption with them - which included satanic imagery - and perhaps the items/gates used to bring them here were already adorned with satanic imagery.

So, we see the bad things arriving and "painting" the world with their corruption. It's your job to wipe them out and save everything. Why is there a problem with that? You're not the one creating the imagery. You are fighting the ones who did it. You are cleansing the Earth of their pollution.

What do you want them to do? Turn up on Earth brandishing pictures of fluffy animals and cutesy scenes all painted in pastel colours? No, the satanic imagery is the imagery of hell. In doom, that means it's unequivocally the imagery of the bad guys. No problem!

Their beef is because people like doom because of the satanic imagery, and the demons from hell. If it were just aliens from another galaxy, Doom would'nt have faired nearly as well as it did. And of course the intense violence and gore doesn't help much either. I of course love the gore and demons and hell. Nothing like clearing a room of Imps with the shotty.

Enjay said:

Rant rant rant rant rant...TEXT, TEXT!

I agree completely. Sure, there are some demented weirdos who play this game, but what'd you rather them do, shoot real people or angry compositions of pixels?

All this crap about people claiming these are "killing simulators" is completely unfounded. I believe it is scientifically proven that games such as DOOM have no influence on the level of violence in your behaviour.

I say we challenge them to a Deathmatch.

It's kind of funny. One the one hand, I enjoyed wiping out legions of bloodthirsty demons, but on the other hand, you're trying to SAVE mankind and you're SLAYING the armies of hell. I'd like to see a mod of doom where you get to star as any one of the enemies and mercilessly slaughter innocent women/children/babies/etc.