Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SyntherAugustus

Doom featured in Family Guy

anyone else catch the Stewie Griffin Naked Gun siren montage at the beginning in which one of the "roads" is e1m5 behind the yellow door ?

completely bs post, but nonetheless i enjoyed seeing it in there when it wasnt a person "playing it" but stewies head shooting imps

BlackFish said:

During the special OP sequence with Stewie bicycling through various scenes, he ends up driving through E1M5. Too funny. I'll get a screenshot when I can.

What episode is this. I'll download the episode if I can and look into this.

its the one where Peter starts his own tv station and the FCC censors the whole town

dunno the number offhand however

Just find out the episode number.. so we can download it... they make obscure references, that's for sure. Obscure for other people, of course.

So I'm not the only one who saw this! I came back to this forum just because of today's Family Guy and I didn't think anyone else would have noticed.
If you made a Venn diagram of Family Guy watchers and doomworld users, the middle section would be surprisingly large.

GoatLord said:

That was so fucking boss. Me and my sister both laughed hysterically at that. Strangely, I thought it was E1M2.

Probably was the nukage. =^P

Damn my lack of cable TV at the moment (by my own volition, at that). =^/

I thought it was great. Totally unexpected but totally awesome.

Doesn't sound like they used the Doom sound effects though.

Bloody hell, I saw all of the episode but that! But, from the video clip, looks pretty cool, I'm guessing they used the chainsaw for the fight sequence?

That was just weird. I would have enabled berserk pack so that it'd look like Stewie ran the Imp clear over and splattered it...

Because all Family Guy does anymore is throw in a bunch of pop culture references to elicit a couple cheap laughs. It's funny seeing Doom in a show, but not because the writing is clever or smart.

Scuba Steve said:

Because all Family Guy does anymore is throw in a bunch of pop culture references to elicit a couple cheap laughs. It's funny seeing Doom in a show, but not because the writing is clever or smart.

Yeah, and is Doom even pop culture at this point? Sure, during the '90s when computers were a newer deal than they are now, Doom was OMFWTG. But now Doom III appeals strictly to the gaming audience, and I don't think gaming's truly mainstream at this point. The audience for games is still gamers (get into that casual/hardcore crap with me and die). Not an average joe who just thinks "Hey, this is nifty, I wonder what it does?" Although that seems to be changing with items like the DS.

...But regardless, I would've had it look like Stewie had popped the Imp. As it is, it just looked...Strange. =^/

Yes I saw the doom play on tonight as well. I am glad it was "real" footage and that they didn't try to "Draw" the game.

KwadDamyj, that's EXACTLY why it's pop culture. It's kitchy and "funny" to see something we all know that's old up on screen. Thundercats, Take on Me, Optimus Prime, Doom... all pop culture and all referenced in Family Guy. The mini skits might be a bit funny, but cramming as many as you can think of into an episode doesn't make it great TV.

I'll admit I've laughed at Family Guy before, it can be quite funny. But the funniest stuff on that show is devoid of contemporary material, but the show has progressively become ABOUT the random 80s/90s pop reference.

KwadDamyj said:

and I don't think gaming's truly mainstream at this point.

O_O

Yeah, I saw it tonight. It was awesome. I think it was a parody of the show Naked Gun was based off of (Police Squad! I think it was called?). That's how the show opened up...with a police car driving around into weird locations...or maybe that was the movie...been so long since I've seen either.

I was geeking it up on this PC while Family Guy aired that. A friend signed into MSN Messenger to tell me it just happened, knowing I'd get bothered by missing it.

And that Scuba Steve guy, I don't know what he's really griping about, considering Family Guy's humor has ALWAYS revolved around tv/movie/media pop culture. Do you listen to the theme song in the beginning of each episode?

And not only that, but like EVERY one of Fox's cartoon comedies does this every two minutes in their shows?