Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Craigs

Actual singing in Doom music

I've played hundreds of pwads for both Doom 1 and Doom 2, and I have never heard a single song for any of them that contains actual singing. There is plenty of music yeah, but no actual words.
Is the Doom engine unable to play music with words or do people deliberately take it out?

Usually the music is played through midi files, which cannot have words. If you want words, play a sorce that can use MP3 files and play one of those that have words.

And even then it's more irritating than cool. Anyway, I have seen some ZDoom WADs that used music with vocals.

I prefer not to have lyrics in my video game music. It annoyed the hell out of me to hear the vocals from "Snake Eater" being played in the background while I was climbing a ladder in Metal Gear Solid 3.

Yeah, voices in background game music are out of place, unless perhaps you use some sort of vague chanting, otherwise unintelligible murmurs, growls, whispers, or something like that.

If you are the kind of person who likes to listen to some heavy metal rock while blasting away demons (like me), there is an easy way to listen to that instead of the regular doom music. although it can become distracting as others have mentioned in this thread.

what you do is open up windows media player (or any other music program that you may have), then activate doom. upon activation, open the main menu, options, sound volume and turn the music volume all the way down. you should hear your music playing.

Hehe, it always cracks me up with people use terms like "heavy metal rock," seeing as adding "rock" on the end is incredibly redundant and makes you sound like a concerned parent from the mid 1980's. Not ripping on you by any means, I just find that funny. Anyways, if I'm playing some really aggressive or intense thrash, death metal or black metal, the vocals won't really bug me because they're mostly unintelligible and the music fits with the action well.

lol. never heard it called black metal though, but i have a good idea of what it is. but i think Rob Zombie, Ozzy Ozbourne, And any other death metal bands fit doom rather well.

Though usually I would take the side of anti-vocals during gaming (especially MP, golly gee), it has been done correctly, even within the fps genre.

Case in point: Dark7 had some sweet techno mp3s with some vocals that meshed quite well with the rest of the sfx.

In general, I like to keep the music off totally, unless it aids in the ambience, such as in Q2.

When I'm Dooming, if it's a "serious" or particularly "dark" wad, I just load up a PSX or N64 Doom mp3 and it works great. I hate how a lot of modern FPS's (specifically futuristic ones) seem to rely on generic, cheesy techno or watered down rock music to set the mood.

Oh man, Ozzy and Zombie as Death Metal.

Funny. Maybe Pop-Metal. :)

Anyhow, you can also add MP3's to your games if you are good at editing, that way you can work that Richard Simmons work out sound track in easy with that "inner" Demon Blasting mayhem!

I personally like Ramallah's: Brother Malcom track. Anybody listen to them?