Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spase

Barrels O' Fun!

Is it just me or is Barrels O' Fun (Doom 2 map23) really really awesome?

I'm speaking of the big theatre like area that you start in that is filled with barrels. It starts out simple, but as you progress through the level that big area starts to open up and becomes a large flaming haunted theatre. I say theatre because of the inverted stadium seating in the back, (Inverted because this is Hell!!) The fireballs start flying between the audience full of Hell Knights and imps across the barrier toward the flaming stage full of the restless flaming ghosts of lost souls dancing deadly ballet with the star of the show: Doomguy, and the fireballs from the audience are tomatoes. (red and green see what Im sayin' see what im sayin'?) The textures are the best. the panels are old and dusty and lighted by smudgepots like an abandoned theatre, or library inhabited by hobos but driven ot by the ghosts. It is surreal and unlike the traditional image of Hell (Doom 3 Im talkin' to you!)And then the music. A constant droning insane beat playing in your head igniting stinging blood-red fires like tumors or the scent of Hell igniting madness in your brain. When you go outside it gets kinda lame though, so thats the best part.

Ehehe, i still remember the first time i played that map.

"Wait, don't shoot those barre-STUPID MANCUBUS! AIEE!"

I still think that mancubus is stupid. :|

He's the easiset to take out.(Not only that. but i'm pretty sure he's the only mancubus in the level)

The bit i hated is after you kill the mancubus. You teleport into a room with 4 (i think) Hellknights. Lots of commandos and lots of barrels. You either get shot. Blow up. Or get owned by the knights. :s

You can avoid the barrel explosions in the first section if you move carfully. In the second section, don't wake up the Hell Knights before you reach the end of the corridor with the chaingunners. If you do this, the chainreaction will kill off everything (sometimes a Hell Knight survives just barely).

Yes, just run. Run to reach the teleporter before getting exploded. Twice. You don’t need to teleport.

Just shoot the closest barrel once you teleport there. They will take out everything except the hell knights, which will be weakened a bit, and you'll have a bunch of chainguns lying around.

For me the worst part is right after that when all those pain elementals show up. After about 15 seconds the entire room is covered in lost souls.

Yes, the most annoying part is when those Pain Elementals show up. Things get really intense in about no time not just because of the Lost Souls but because for a seasoned veteran like me, it's not so hard to run out of ammo. Especially while playing it on a Limit Removing Port with the Lost Soul compatibility option turned off.

Not to mention those barrels, and some of those black barrels which can't be blown up. They act as obstacles on that balcony along with those Elementals, Souls and other Barrels which sometimes corner me to death. Of course, it's all about blowing up those barrels at the right time to eliminate them quickly.

No other part of that map really poses as much of a challenge to me though. This topic does bring back memories. I think I'll go play that map in about a few mins.