Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bashe

Your pet peeves of Doom!

When you run, you bob up and down and your weapon moves side to side, which is fine, but when you fire, the weapon stays either to the left or to the right, messing up your aim. A crosshair would help, but it seems too much like cheating.

Here's another one:

Blazing your way through a fight at the start of a WAD with a capable weapon only to aqure a weaker one that is then auto-switched to at an inopportune moment.

mawcor624 said:

When you run, you bob up and down and your weapon moves side to side, which is fine, but when you fire, the weapon stays either to the left or to the right, messing up your aim. A crosshair would help, but it seems too much like cheating.

Most ports that have consoles usually respond to movebob 0
that will stop that mess.

and btw my "anti-doom" jokes were jokes, i love doom more than your mother.

TheDarkArchon said:

That's why I hate fighting archviles without cover.

Which is why I hate Arch-Viles.

Heh, you'd hate playing with me, RandomMarine. During co-op, I don't bother killing any monster unless they're blocking me. :D

sidarmas said:

Which is why I hate Arch-Viles.

If you time your SSG shots 3 or 4 of them at somewhat close range you can kill it face to face.

Sometimes the Archviles are hidden behind walls or someplace ya can't even shoot but they can flame you. Map31 Plutonia comes into mind.

Slink said:

Here's another one:

Blazing your way through a fight at the start of a WAD with a capable weapon only to aqure a weaker one that is then auto-switched to at an inopportune moment.

How about auto-switching after picking up a rocket launcher? I remember when I first started playing Doom 64, I believe on the second level (The Terraformer), there's a place where you pick up a rocket launcher unexpectedly right before fighting an imp. I'd always end up firing it, resulting in some embarassing gibbage.

XXoXX said:

Sometimes the Archviles are hidden behind walls or someplace ya can't even shoot but they can flame you. Map31 Plutonia comes into mind.

Yeah, sometimes I can't even see the douche and the flames still come a spawnin'. What I hate even more though, is a) when you don't see the flames but still end up being blown into the air by his attack, and b) when he isn't facing you and appears to be attacking another enemy but somehow ends up attacking you. I also can't stand it when demons get in the way, particularly when there's a cluster of them or I'm trying to get the hell away from a much more dangerous enemy.

Yeah, I'm no expert on how the enemies behave, but it seems that Archviles sometimes delay their attacks by a second or so, so I end up peeking out to see that he's still holding his hands out, but I don't have time to duck again.

And demons definitely are a pain in the ass. I hate seeing them mixed in with other enemies on stages that are tight on ammo, because it's either waste ammo on the demons or die in the time it takes to swap out something else.

Another beef I have is with the chainsaw. It was so cool the first time I picked it up (and it still is, kind of), but so often it kills me by pulling me into the line of fire when i want to stay in my little corner, safe from side/back shots.

Soap on a Rope said:

Yeah, I'm no expert on how the enemies behave, but it seems that Archviles sometimes delay their attacks by a second or so, so I end up peeking out to see that he's still holding his hands out, but I don't have time to duck again.

And demons definitely are a pain in the ass. I hate seeing them mixed in with other enemies on stages that are tight on ammo, because it's either waste ammo on the demons or die in the time it takes to swap out something else.

Another beef I have is with the chainsaw. It was so cool the first time I picked it up (and it still is, kind of), but so often it kills me by pulling me into the line of fire when i want to stay in my little corner, safe from side/back shots.

It happens. I mentioned how the Chainsaw is such a good weapon, but seems to not be an effective weapon in my fanfic, on the last chapter :P Figures. Anyway, Yeah, I know what you mean. Which is the last resort of any Marine. Run. Run your Fucking ass off, until you can take them on one at a time, or cause them to start in-fighting.

I think the chainsaw is one of the best weapons actually, if used corretly and at the right time. If I am low on ammo I will use it on lost souls, cacodemons, imps and zombies. If im really low on ammo barons and revenants. If I have plenty of ammo and no hit scanners around I use it on demons.
Run up to cacos and demons with it. Wait around corners for imps and zombies.

Of course if I have berserk then I will probably use that with same attack technique.

abysmal said:

I think the chainsaw is one of the best weapons actually, if used corretly and at the right time. If I am low on ammo I will use it on lost souls, cacodemons, imps and zombies. If im really low on ammo barons and revenants. If I have plenty of ammo and no hit scanners around I use it on demons.
Run up to cacos and demons with it. Wait around corners for imps and zombies.

Of course if I have berserk then I will probably use that with same attack technique.

All it is is a close range chaingun, same damage.

Th0r said:

All it is is a close range chaingun, same damage.

BZZT!

The Chainsaw's damage distribution per impact is the same as the fists (2d10) while the chainguns is 5d3. They both have the same ROF, however.

Omg, I thought that most of those issues came simply out of your lack of skill... but I definitely felt like being slapped with sweaty buttocks, when I read this:

Bashe said:

• When autoaim doesn't shoot at what I want it to shoot.

• I'm pretty sure you're not talking about vanilla Doom autoaiming, but either way - there's absolutely nothing that excuses the usage of autoaim.

Actually, I was talking about Vanilla autoaim. When using ports with freelook, I never autoaim.

heh LOL one of you should make a website with pictures of these
    "pet peeves" on them, there funny..

Anyway mine is when you put falling damage off and you still die when falling at places, yah that suks.

Bashe said:

Actually, I was talking about Vanilla autoaim. When using ports with freelook, I never autoaim.

Ah, okay, you're free to go now.

You know Zdoom 96.x?
    You know how it has a kick back system just like edge?
    You know how the kick back system is extremely retarded and consists of nothing but knocking the player back a couple of feet?
    You know how some people like to put in lava pits that kill you in one hit or you can't get out of?
    Yeah....

Bashe said:

• Activating some kind of scrpit, and then suddenly exploding. I then realize I was standing next to a wall that was scripted to explode.

• This is by far the best one in this thread.

-When you try to shoot a demon from a distance and is lower/higher than you, you cant hit it
    -trying to use rocket launcher against pain elemental, and lost soul gets in the way of rocket
    -not enough ammo around when you need it
    -not enough health around (such as E4M1 on ultra violence)
    -chaingun zombies being able to shoot you from distance on platform above you but u cant hit back

-strafe and wall running, oversight and bug respectively, exploited too much
    -spiderdemons getting stuck easily on lesser monsters
    -barons and the like are pathetic under full frame rate
    -Doom 2
    -chaingunners